Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ap2345

(2019) SG Lester Quinones to Memphis

Why he is likely going to memphis. Perfect fit

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

According to an premium article on the Memphis 247 board he says Penny FaceTimes him once and day and sometimes twice a day). Penny calls him the missing piece to his recruiting class(one that includes the top ranked player in 2019). He talks about playing with one of his AAU teammates (Precious Achiuwa- 5 star that Memphis is recruiting) and how special of a team they could be. Regardless of where he would actually be on a depth chart, hearing you are a missing piece from a former nba star would be hard to ignore for a 17-18 year old. Would IU be the better fit with more playing time? Probably but recruits don’t think like fans

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

According to an premium article on the Memphis 247 board he says Penny FaceTimes him once and day and sometimes twice a day). Penny calls him the missing piece to his recruiting class(one that includes the top ranked player in 2019). He talks about playing with one of his AAU teammates (Precious Achiuwa- 5 star that Memphis is recruiting) and how special of a team they could be. Regardless of where he would actually be on a depth chart, hearing you are a missing piece from a former nba star would be hard to ignore for a 17-18 year old. Would IU be the better fit with more playing time? Probably but recruits don’t think like fans

Penny is the hot new thing at the moment. Plus I doubt getting into Memphis is very hard.

6 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

Penny is the hot new thing at the moment. Plus I doubt getting into Memphis is very hard.

I don't know what that has to do with anything. Getting into IU isn't tough either. 

1 hour ago, Uspshoosier said:

Is he still the missing piece if they sign RJ Hampton?

6 minutes ago, Fkfootball1 said:

Even if they get Hampton I don’t know that would rule out LQ. We thought this with Brooks but UK keeps recruiting his position and doesn’t seem to care. Just so he gets on the court enough to get paid next Summer.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Players want to

1. Play with the best players on a winning team, and
  2. They want playing time.

If Memphis struck out on Hampton, Watford, Achiuwa, and that Rayjan Tucker this week, I think that would be a huge positive for IU's chances. If Memphis got Hampton and Tucker, but not Achiuwa and Watford, that would be even better.

If Memphis pulls in Watford and Achiuwa but not the two SGs that would be a huge negative for IU's chances. If they got Hampton and one or two of the bigs, That would probably be a net negative.

Players want to

1. Play with the best players on a winning team, and
  2. They want playing time.
If Memphis struck out on Hampton, Watford, Achiuwa, and that Rayjan Tucker this week, I think that would be a huge positive for IU's chances. If Memphis got Hampton and Tucker, but not Achiuwa and Watford, that would be even better.

If Memphis pulls in Watford and Achiuwa but not the two SGs that would be a huge negative for IU's chances. If they got Hampton and one or two of the bigs, That would probably be a net negative.

Their people want to get paid

12 minutes ago, Fkfootball1 said:

Even if they get Hampton I don’t know that would rule out LQ. We thought this with Brooks but UK keeps recruiting his position and doesn’t seem to care. Just so he gets on the court enough to get paid next Summer.

See North Carolina. The rich get richer.

19 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

Have to say, I don't get the infatuation with Hardaway. To me, results matter more than anything. When has he ever won a championship? College, pros, he never seemed to exceed expectations. Didn't really seem to exceed expectations as a first year college coach. I know 18 year olds don't think like 53 year olds but, wth?

Have to say, I don't get the infatuation with Hardaway. To me, results matter more than anything. When has he ever won a championship? College, pros, he never seemed to exceed expectations. Didn't really seem to exceed expectations as a first year college coach. I know 18 year olds don't think like 53 year olds but, wth?

His first few years in the league before injuries seemed to exceed expectations. The Magic were god awful before him and Shaq. Both had an equally critical role in that franchise making the championship. Plus being a high lottery pick from Memphis State in the early 90s I would consider that exceeding as well. As a coach we don’t know, but these kids know who he is and he was a top AAU coach these kids all saw and knew. Plus the money probably isn’t bad either.

1 hour ago, mdn82 said:

His first few years in the league before injuries seemed to exceed expectations. The Magic were god awful before him and Shaq. Both had an equally critical role in that franchise making the championship. Plus being a high lottery pick from Memphis State in the early 90s I would consider that exceeding as well. As a coach we don’t know, but these kids know who he is and he was a top AAU coach these kids all saw and knew. Plus the money probably isn’t bad either.

I enjoyed watching Hardaway but here is what I don't get: I BARELY remember watching him play and I'm 31. If I barely remember his tenure, there's no way these kids remember him as a player. I mean, I could understand kids being drawn to an ex NBA player for a coach if he were a superstar or at least held records (someone like John Stockton), but Hardaway doesn't fall into either category. He was a solid NBA PG coaching at a mediocre school in a lackluster conference. And, if that doesn't sound appealing enough to you, it's also bordered by Orange Mound and Parkway Villages which are great places to visit if you're interested in being shot.

He coached most of these kids he has gotten so far through his AAU teams and his high school team.  When he got the Memphis job they had to change the name of his AAU Team because the name of the team was (Team Penny). He has coached against the other kids he is getting during the summers over the years. Being from Memphis and who he is he was always going to come into a situation at Memphis where he was going to keep most of the kids he coached before. Now as time goes by and new kids come up through the AAU program that he doesn’t coach anymore time will tell if he has staying power and can actually coach at this level. Smart hire by Memphis to gain buzz around their program. In tubbys last year I believe they averaged a little over 4,583 a game and in penny’s first year that doubled

I enjoyed watching Hardaway but here is what I don't get: I BARELY remember watching him play and I'm 31. If I barely remember his tenure, there's no way these kids remember him as a player. I mean, I could understand kids being drawn to an ex NBA player for a coach if he were a superstar or at least held records (someone like John Stockton), but Hardaway doesn't fall into either category. He was a solid NBA PG coaching at a mediocre school in a lackluster conference. And, if that doesn't sound appealing enough to you, it's also bordered by Orange Mound and Parkway Villages which are great places to visit if you're interested in being shot.

They may not have watched him play, but he was a superstar, and he can sell that he knows how to navigate the path to the NBA in a way that almost no other college coach can. He also has NBA connections like no other coach. These guys may not remember him, but the current crop of NBA players revere Penny and will say good things about him. Having a coach in Mike Miller who recently won NBA titles with Lebron helps too.

The appeal completely makes sense to me. The question is whether he can deliver on what he's selling, and we'll figure that out this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True but when we drive recruits around campus and town do we choose the best areas or the worst?

When Archie talks about his playing experience does he focus on what he did not do or what he did accomplish.

When a kid hears about Penny they find out he was good enough to have been to the NBA finals and have commercials with little penny character developed as well.

There are enough reasons to want to learn from a former NBA star, AAU coach and likable guy. I have been to Memphis and found the area i visited to be great.

Yes, Memphis will be heavily involved with Boogie Ellis now that his recruitment is open again. Was here for Memphis Madness. And there's a need.

From John Martin of TheAthletic

SG that just decommitted from Duke. Has to help us if Memphis is heavily involved here.

Boogie Ellis leaving Duke is being widely speculated as evidence that Memphis has moved in on him in a big way.

For me that is a shot in the arm for our chances with Lester Quinones.

Five-star guard Boogie Ellis tells 247Sports he has requested a release from his Letter of Intent to Duke — and the request is expected to be granted, multiple sources told 247Sports on Thursday. Ellis, a 6-foot-2 guard out of San Diego (Calif.) Mission Bay, committed to the Blue Devils on Nov. 9 and signed during the early period.

One school we expect to be heavily involved for Ellis the second time around is the Memphis Tigers, who currently have the No. 11 class in the country and are in the mix for a slew of other elite talents. 

Ellis originally picked the Blue Devils over Memphis, North Carolina, San Diego State and USC. Of his finalists, Ellis visited Duke and North Carolina. Ellis is the No. 34 overall prospect and the No. 5 combination guard in the 247Sports Composite Rankings.

2 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

At this point for the kid whether or not we get him, I hope he understands they are attempting to go over him and the lines being fed to him are BS.

True, but are we really expecting him to come in and grab a starting spot either?

Nope; I think most would gauge him behind Phin, DeVonte, Al D, and tied with Franklin for minutes during his first year.