Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

41 minutes ago, Southside said:

I was very polite. It's the Knight declining health thread. 

Sure, some bad stuff will get tossed out. It only gets inflamed when extremes match extremes.

And it's probably only inflamed when someone is in a thread looking to inflame.

Are you looking to inflame?

Sure seems that you are.

3 hours ago, Southside said:

I went through though an ultra polite attempt to just be kind.

Which I am.

If you are a Knight hater. 

Find another thread. 

Knight hater? You don't have the slightest ever-loving clue what you are talking about. 

I was simply suggesting that people lay off him -- as well as Reed. 

And again, why do you feel the need to try to tell me what to do? 

6 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Knight hater? You don't have the slightest ever-loving clue what you are talking about. 

I was simply suggesting that people lay off him -- as well as Reed. 

And again, why do you feel the need to try to tell me what to do? 

ENUFF!

Back to the photo, does anyone know if Gene and Bob are actually friends, talk on the phone, visit each other regularly or was this a one off get together?
I am no expert on the matter but they have both done several events together. Gene visited at least once prior. I would say they are likely friend but not sure about phone calls lol

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Back to the photo, does anyone know if Gene and Bob are actually friends, talk on the phone, visit each other regularly or was this a one off get together?

Absolutely friends!

Not sure how much ability Coach has left to interact. 

4 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Absolutely friends!

Not sure how much ability Coach has left to interact. 

Thanks Stuhoo and coonhound - could have just been Gene coming to pay respects in the event coach passes or becomes too incoherent moving forward - thanks for confirming they are indeed friends 

10 hours ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

RIP Neil Reed. I don't remember enough about that video to give an honest opinion...

If I remember correctly, the claim was that Coach wrapped both hands around Reed's neck and they had to be pried off by Ron Felling.  

A few days later a video dropped which showed that claim not to be true.  Was he choked?  Maybe, it's hard to tell honestly if his one hand hit Reed in the throat or the chest.  The video did show that the claim was certainly not true.  But the damage was done as Felling intended.

10 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

All any of us can ask

And he will leave having made the world a better place than he found it.

The difference?

Most people that do so have a steady, consistent life of people benefiting from them. RMK will have created many, many extraordinary successes, tempered with some notable demerits.

13 hours ago, Joe_hoopsier said:

CBK thought he was better then the admin... because he was.

Once any adult uses the word Bully, about another adult acting to other adults... I lose all respect. I wonder if they would prefer to scream at the sky while wearing a pink hat or if they are one of a litter of feline.

Neil Reed was a winey little ***** that didn't deserve the education he was offered at our expense.    

Lay off the caffeine maybe?

11 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

And he will leave having made the world a better place than he found it.

The difference?

Most people that do so have a steady, consistent life of people benefiting from them. RMK will have created many, many extraordinary successes, tempered with some notable demerits.

Well said. Let’s hope we can all exit peacefully as we age. 

4 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

As much as Knight "hated" Purdue, it seems he and Keady always had that respectful competitor vibe.  

Keady was a heckuva coach. It seems somewhat unfair he never made a final four. But as big as IU was in those days, Keady’s Purdue teams made a worthy rival. I suspect that both coaches appreciate that more with age. One of the greatest coaches in basketball history still in his prime with his rival able to give him everything he could handle. It was truly a different era. 

15 hours ago, str8baller said:

Well said. Let’s hope we can all exit peacefully as we age. 

Keady was a heckuva coach. It seems somewhat unfair he never made a final four. But as big as IU was in those days, Keady’s Purdue teams made a worthy rival. I suspect that both coaches appreciate that more with age. One of the greatest coaches in basketball history still in his prime with his rival able to give him everything he could handle. It was truly a different era. 

I love rubbing it in Purdue fans' noses about their lack of tournament success. But, in reality, Gene was a hell of a coach, with some incredible teams. The NCAA tournament indifferent to how well you play in the regular season. I think some coaches are better suited for that environment, where the intensity is ratcheted up and the rim shrinks.

I don't think Gene, not nor his teams, lacked in any of those categories. It's hard for people to admit, but you also have to get a little lucky to make it through the gauntlet of single elimination. 

I always think about Lute Olsen. He was one of the greats, but prior to 1997 championship, he was considered one of those coaches who was unable to win the big one. His '97 team wasn't even close to being his best regular season teams. But a few of those teams ran into some bad matchups. Every year, the media brings up them losing as a 2 seed against 15 seed Santa Clara. At the time, it was a joke that they lost to a bunch of "surfers." Yeah, leading the way on that team was future NBA Hall of Famer, 2x MVP, Steve Nash. 

Anyway, all due respect to Gene. I love seeing that picture of him visiting Coach. Their personal histories are so intertwined.