Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Chris007

Team Chemistry Issues?

... Jakes dad is making it clear he doesnt like Smith as a player and he is getting  a little frustrated that the other younger bigs arent getting a chance to show they are better for the team than Smith is. He was vocal about it back in November and it is definitely picking up more lately. He has posted multiple times that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and continuing to fail. 

I don’t mind that.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

9 hours ago, ViaSwiss said:

... Jakes dad is making it clear he doesnt like Smith as a player and he is getting  a little frustrated that the other younger bigs arent getting a chance to show they are better for the team than Smith is. He was vocal about it back in November and it is definitely picking up more lately. He has posted multiple times that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and continuing to fail. 

I have a hard time condemning Jake for his dad’s comment, if his dad’s comment is in regards to what needs to happen for the team to gel. If he’s not asking for Jake (specifically) to play more, but rather, asking for multiple others with better attitudes to play before Justin, then perhaps he’s on to something. If the team and parents are having issues with a singled out player, then there might be legitimate issues with that singled out player. Just my two cents. 

With that said, though, Jake’s dad would do his son a better service by keeping his opinions (and attacks on the coaching staff?) off social media. With the turmoil evolving between Smith, Smith’s dad, (and others?) it might be best to sit quietly and wait. My hesitation to condemn Jake is also influenced by what appears to be an enthusiasm for the team at all times and a great attitude.   

I imagine Moore will find playing time elsewhere. Smith is obviously not happy and will be gone too. Green still gets a lot of play, so who knows what will come of him. Thompson is getting more time and he has a little ground to make up but seems a capable passer and a hustler with a knack for rebounding. Forester has been getting more time than the others as of late (until Race became availabile). Fitzner finally had a game where he made a significant impact (although, he’s not the “younger bigs” referenced by Forrester’s dad). Smith sat a lot (part of this is due to Thompson and Davis becoming available, but is likely more than that). Demezi might be willing to give next year a shot after some off-season improvements, but it depends on how he’s mentally handling a much smaller role than he’s used to. 

Who knows what will come of all this? It seems like we might have APR issues early on in Archie’s tenure. 

Not liking Smith as a player is fine and mostly correct, but none of the young bigs have shown anything to suggest they should play over him. Jake needs to add so much strength before he can play in the big 10. Does anybody actually think that things would have been better if Jake/Moore/Fitzner were getting Smith's 30 minutes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I imagine helicopter parents are just part of today's coaching, but I would hate to coach today with these parents questioning every move all over the internet. In my opinion this is a really bad look on these parents. 

8 hours ago, ViaSwiss said:

Jake seems to be a player we can all get behind. Even if he makes a mistake, he did it with 100 percent of effort put forth. I can understand this frustration from Jake's father, it's gotta be tough watching someone play defeated and get the lions share of minutes. I just hope Jake can stay positive and work enough to force the staffs hand, he can be a big help down the line with is motor. 

9 minutes ago, HoosierDribbler said:

I imagine helicopter parents are just part of today's coaching, but I would hate to coach today with these parents questioning every move all over the internet. In my opinion this is a really bad look on these parents. 

There’s no question it’s a bad look for these parents. And, it would not only embarrass me but upset me if one of my parents acted this way. I would demand of them to allow me to defend myself and to prove myself without their public accusations which do nothing more than single me out and make any issues I’m having with teammates and/or coaches even worse. 

With that said, I would absolutely love to coach. I could deal with these entitled parents for one year and then retire rich and never work again. I have a lot of passions I could explore the remainder of my life. With one year of Archie’s salary I could easily retire. TOTALLY worth a couple morons berating me. 

18 minutes ago, ray said:

Who knows what will come of all this? It seems like we might have APR issues early on in Archie’s tenure. 

Somebody more versed than I am needs to give you an accurate answer, but as long as they finish out the spring semester and have a 2.6 GPA(?) there's no impact.    I hope I'm correct on this, but again, somebody more knowledgeable needs to reply.

20 minutes ago, Free Jurkin! said:

Not liking Smith as a player is fine and mostly correct, but none of the young bigs have shown anything to suggest they should play over him. Jake needs to add so much strength before he can play in the big 10. Does anybody actually think that things would have been better if Jake/Moore/Fitzner were getting Smith's 30 minutes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t think that’s the argument people are trying to make. I’m certainly not of the belief anyone of the younger bigs (who have been healthy enough to play) have been significantly better than Smith (although with effort and time they may become much more so). I think people just see his attitude as bad for the team chemistry (title of this thread) and that players with a good attitude, an enthusiasm for the team regardless of personal attention or accolades, and a desire to do whatever it takes (for the team) deserves time before a kid who sits and mopes while on the bench when players receiving .5% of the minutes Smith receives are up cheering on THE TEAM. It’s the sense of entitlement and selfishness most people cannot tolerate, or at least that’s the part that disgusts me. 

1 hour ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Thought your handle read drunktown which would have explained the posting style.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Yeah was definitely drunk and upset last night but nothing that a good night of sleep can’t cure.  I love this team and I just care way too much.  I have terribly high hopes for the remainder of the season.  Somethinf’s Clicking 

10 hours ago, ViaSwiss said:

Well then hell; I’m with Jake’s dad!

55 minutes ago, ray said:

I don’t think that’s the argument people are trying to make. I’m certainly not of the belief anyone of the younger bigs (who have been healthy enough to play) have been significantly better than Smith (although with effort and time they may become much more so). I think people just see his attitude as bad for the team chemistry (title of this thread) and that players with a good attitude, an enthusiasm for the team regardless of personal attention or accolades, and a desire to do whatever it takes (for the team) deserves time before a kid who sits and mopes while on the bench when players receiving .5% of the minutes Smith receives are up cheering on THE TEAM. It’s the sense of entitlement and selfishness most people cannot tolerate, or at least that’s the part that disgusts me. 

If the attitude really is that bad he should have been sat long ago instead of just the second half last night. It's not like he has been putting up big lines over the season. He's a disgruntled part and that part can be replaced especially when your team is losing night in and night out. At what point does Archie say maybe its time to give some new guys some run? Hard to really see what they are capable of when they hardly play and when they do the leash is generally short.

I will say Forrester, Moore, Anderson have all looked completely lost on defense and even on offense at times this year in the limited run they have received. Part of being inexperienced but also costly when in a close game. I think Forrester really has nice potential if as many have said he can get quite a bit stronger. I'm not sure what can become of Moore. He just looks kind of clumsy to me a lot of the times. Almost like he still hasn't grown into his body. He has been with the program two years and seems to need to get stronger if he wants to compete in the BIG. Maybe a transfer is what is needed. Anderson is too early to tell but I think he could be a nice guard off the bench in coming years. He just has no confidence now and seems to be the most lost of anyone when on the court. 

Verdict: more Forrester and less Smith 

10 hours ago, Josh said:

I'm torn on this.  I know it's him, but he doesn't have a lot of notoriety on his profile.  I'm not comfortable outing him.  Can somebody help me keep it anonymous somehow?

You're not "outing" someone who posts things publicly on one of the world's largest social media platforms....

Screenshot_20190223-110953_Twitter.jpg