Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IU Hoosier41

The Sky Is Not Falling, But our Fanbase however...

Had Sampson not been fired I think we’d be perennial top 10 team.  The dude can flat out coach. 
He is no different than any top coach like self, williams, calipari, sean miller. Actually less dirty. We just hired him already under the microscope and self reported. Looking back now what he did was a joke compared to some of them.

That being said he recruited some shady guys he did not need.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, IU Hoosier41 said:

Had Sampson not been fired I think we’d be perennial top 10 team.  The dude can flat out coach. 

He could recruit well also. Jamarcus Ellis, Deandre Thomas, Bassett, the other guard #55 were all very talented to go along with DJ and Eric Gordon. I believe our admin blew it here when we should have lawyered up instead of self reporting. Of course our old Prez was at the Ncaa then so he wanted to make us an example. A lot of people want to discuss all of our F’s but we were a rudderless ship then and no one to keep up with players grades. Sampson could have done great things here but it wasn’t to be, and his decision to break the rules is all on him.

I think it's really going to be "interesting" to see the mood and nature of the posts here over the off-season and into the pre-season this coming year.

Speaking for myself, I hope there are developments that give reason for optimism, but unlike the past many years I'm not going to get giddy about any recruit or transfer until I see them prove it on the court.  I'm also not going to assume any current player or recruit will perform significantly better than what they've already shown.  Again, I need to see it on the court.  Also, I am not going to give a single, flying, damn, about tweets telling us who has worked hard and is jacked like an body builder, can jump like a cat, or has been hitting 50 footers without a miss.  "Once burned, twice shy."

It's going to stink, in a way, forcing myself to temper any optimism - as summer/fall is when it tends to build.  I also hope we don't, as a group, put unrealistic pressure on Hunter, Franklin, or TJD.  More than anything, I just hope Jerome can resume his playing career without any lingering (or new) issues.  Along with tempered optimism, I am going to (try to) force myself to refrain from repeating how bad we've been this season.  We all know it and it's inarguable, but moving forward there's no benefit in bitching and rehashing the same gripes over and over. 

On balance, I still believe in CAM, but the honeymoon is over.  I don't think Archie gets a full "mulligan", but the past two seasons will be in the rear view mirror and our failures are what they are (were).  We can't expect a miraculous improvement, but anything close to the status quo is beyond unacceptable.

Knight - It was time to go. Past his prime and just an assbag. Not a great exit strategy by the admin obviously.

Davis - Out of his league. But the ride to the championship in 02 where we beat Sampson's OU team was amazing. Nothing after obviously.

Sampson - Cheated his way on a much smaller scale than the scandals of today but IU got the hammer and probably fired him too quickly. A lot of promise with him, his recruiting, and how the team played. Not a hire I was expecting or a fan of at first, given his phone call issue at OU but his coaching proved to be the best we'd seen in a long time.

Crean - Inherited a complete dumpster fire. Felt bad for him the first 2 years. We got teased into thinking we were better than we were in the good years, only to be left disappointed and in the years I expected nothing, it either transpired or a miraculous Big Ten championship occurred. Not a great coach.

Miller - I can see some Sampson coaching prowess in him but just not to his caliber. I hope he's able to turn it around but I'll believe it when I see it.

Moral of the story, the sky fell a loooooooong time ago. Most of us are just holding onto false hopes of returning to blue chip status because we've been teased by it with the last 3 coaches, only to be left disappointed. Still a fan but I'll get off the ledge and just accept mediocrity from here until I'm proven wrong.

3 hours ago, schoosier said:

He could recruit well also. Jamarcus Ellis, Deandre Thomas, Bassett, the other guard #55 were all very talented to go along with DJ and Eric Gordon. I believe our admin blew it here when we should have lawyered up instead of self reporting. Of course our old Prez was at the Ncaa then so he wanted to make us an example. A lot of people want to discuss all of our F’s but we were a rudderless ship then and no one to keep up with players grades. Sampson could have done great things here but it wasn’t to be, and his decision to break the rules is all on him.

Sampson found a lot of talented players that were overlooked... although I think we all know why many of them were overlooked. 

With that said, I don't think I've seen anyone describe Deandre Thomas as very talented.  Maybe as a competitive eater, but I never saw it on the basketball court.

3 minutes ago, moyemayhem said:

Sampson found a lot of talented players that were overlooked... although I think we all know why many of them were overlooked. 

With that said, I don't think I've seen anyone describe Deandre Thomas as very talented.  Maybe as a competitive eater, but I never saw it on the basketball court.

Great hands and court vision combined with lots of athleticism to go with his Fridge Perry type physique is how I remember him. Jamarcus was a point forward who could score and pass. Both rebounded well and were jucos on a team as talented as two others since the generals teams.

30 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

Me and my good buddy probably bring this up 2-3 times a year. Sampson would have won a natty here. 

I agree the guy can coach, but he didn't do a good job with the program overall. A lot of the reason Crean inherited a dumpster fire was due to the players Sampson brought in.

38 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

Me and my good buddy probably bring this up 2-3 times a year. Sampson would have won a natty here. 

I would agree with this statement. He got and deserved most of the blame, but cell phones and going to class wouldn’t even register at most of the top programs. He carried baggage from OK that got him a show cause at IU by our beloved ex president. When you have friends of the program like Brand and Dakich, who needs enemies? 

Don Fischer was telling it like it is yesterday on Dakichs show. And was right on basically everything. Absolutely what Ruth the listen. This is obviously before the PU game.

[/url]

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners
My thoughts exactly. That was don toning it down for radio and for those that don't think dakich cares you are wrong. I have been trying hard to not jump off the ledge and thought i was prepared for a pu beat down. I am angry at a unhealthy level today. I have respect for those that can keep calm and look at the positive i am not that strong

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

6 minutes ago, Bailey7878 said:

Thomas was the only one kicked off. Crean tried to get the others to stay.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Ellis and McGee were most certainly dismissed. Crawford transferred, true. The Holman incident with the police having to be called leads me to believe his time was short.