Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

hoosierpap

Recruiting Nerds

It’s not a bad idea. AI or BI goes a long way in the business world. Predictive models based off personality traits aren’t new. But finding a formula that closely resembles your wants/needs and predictability could be fantastic. There are few fanbases in America than this one that would be pissed at that approach. That’s enough for me to try. The people that use their eye test would hate it on another level. Fantastic

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Appreciate the insight.  USPS likely already has the algorithm for recruits, programmed into a supercomputer in his basement CBBHQ. 

I can tell you that seeing the guys play has enormous value for me. At EYBL the talents emerges clearly. And it's hard, because these kids are 15, 16, 17 years old, so the kid you see in April isn't the same kid as in December. 

Nice to hear the professional way Archie handles this stuff. 

10 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

It’s not a bad idea. AI or BI goes a long way in the business world. Predictive models based off personality traits aren’t new. But finding a formula that closely resembles your wants/needs and predictability could be fantastic. There are few fanbases in America than this one that would be pissed at that approach. That’s enough it for me to try. The people that use their eye test would hate it on another level. Fantastic

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I rely in AI and machine learning in my business, to deliver a much higher quality prospect. It gives me a competitive advantage. I’d love to see this develop. 

And now "metrics" have become involved in the recruiting process!  Can we skip that and just go to some DNA test?  LOL

I would love to see various coaches and their recruiting boards to see how they currently rank and rate their wants and needs. Most of the AI data is already gathered. It’s more about building it out really. They could use previous years as a test to see how well the model could work. Honestly it’s a fantastic idea and one that I am sure a few coaches probably utilize. Only schools like Duke that don’t have to be as selective aren’t as concerned with finding the right player. They can get whoever they want.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Pap -

Do it. You could likely partner with 247 or such as they have a vast database and the resources to keep the data refreshed. Pitch the concept of D&A (not DNA...) as a service to programs - could be a differentiator especially for mid-majors needing every advantage to succeed in recruiting.

Ready or not, humans and how things work are becoming more and more predictable using analytics and AI powered models. However, Dakich and his eye tests will continue to reign supreme on the Twitter scoreboard.

Joking aside, as Trav mentioned above, powerful analytics and deeper knowledge will only empower those with the ability to identify the right talent even more. Improvements in programs recruiting the right players would only improve the quality of college basketball as a whole.

5 hours ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Pap -

Do it. You could likely partner with 247 or such as they have a vast database and the resources to keep the data refreshed. Pitch the concept of D&A (not DNA...) as a service to programs - could be a differentiator especially for mid-majors needing every advantage to succeed in recruiting.

Ready or not, humans and how things work are becoming more and more predictable using analytics and AI powered models. However, Dakich and his eye tests will continue to reign supreme on the Twitter scoreboard.

Joking aside, as Trav mentioned above, powerful analytics and deeper knowledge will only empower those with the ability to identify the right talent even more. Improvements in programs recruiting the right players would only improve the quality of college basketball as a whole.

Yeah, I'm by no means saying it should entirely replace the coach in recruiting. Hell, the coach is a huge source of data collection in the model. It would just be a collaborative tool as it is in professional sports- operating on a spectrum- some coaches/programs value it in differing degrees. I get the backlash on a site with a user base with such diversity but analytics, big data, AI, is undeniable.

Ultimately, this thread was about recruiting approach and I don't think the original user who PM'd me even cared about the last bit.

When I worked for the Celtics, we’re talking about 14 years ago, I shared a cubicle with one of our analytics/tech guys and he would share with me their dashboards for college prospects. At the time Daryl Morey (current Rockets GM and the first “analytics GM” in the NBA) was our EVP of Technology, and he led the team to develop a platform for predicting how college players would do using all these formulas, statistical techniques, etc. 

They created a software for inputting player data, including class, position, # of college games played, height, all of the players stats, and probably a ton more stuff and it would determine for them how successful the player would be based on historical data on similar players.  

It was all pretty fascinating. 

11 hours ago, hoosierpap said:

Yeah, I'm by no means saying it should entirely replace the coach in recruiting. Hell, the coach is a huge source of data collection in the model. It would just be a collaborative tool as it is in professional sports- operating on a spectrum- some coaches/programs value it in differing degrees. I get the backlash on a site with a user base with such diversity but analytics, big data, AI, is undeniable.

Ultimately, this thread was about recruiting approach and I don't think the original user who PM'd me even cared about the last bit.

Wasn't that he didn't care, just so far over his head he was clueless.  :farting_smiley: