Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierCoop

(2021) G Luke Brown to Ball State

There is an area buzz going around about this kid that plays for 3A Blackford.  I don't know much about him except that everyone said that this kid scores at will and is averaging 32ppg very early on in the season as a Freshman.  I'm not saying he is IU material yet but I would keep my finger on this one.

Doyel column on Brown:  https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2018/01/08/doyel-blackford-freshman-phenom-taking-whole-town-joy-ride/1013220001/

His high school coach, Jerry Hoover, is quite a guy and very enjoyable to talk to.  He coached the girls program at Logansport High School for several years which included Whitney Jennings (Butler U.) being named Miss Basketball.   

14 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Doyel column on Brown:  https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2018/01/08/doyel-blackford-freshman-phenom-taking-whole-town-joy-ride/1013220001/

His high school coach, Jerry Hoover, is quite a guy and very enjoyable to talk to.  He coached the girls program at Logansport High School for several years which included Whitney Jennings (Butler U.) being named Miss Basketball.   

What a read; you can't make this stuff up! Oh wait...they have already: This is Jimmy Chitwood with an 83 year old coach.

Wowowowowowowow. Get the kid on campus Arch. Feels like a Hoosier to me. 

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Excellent!  That article does a great job showing what is happening here.  Otherwise he's just a link on btownbanners for me.  But this kid is quite a bit more than that.  He's a phenom.  Wait until the hype machine gets past Romeo and settles on him.  

Stuhoo, you're right on with the Jimmy Chitwood reference.  In other words, he's just playing the lead in the same story of Indiana Basketball that we all love.  I'll be cheering for him.

Does anyone know what kind of connections we may have to Luke's family or his coach?

17 minutes ago, VO5 said:

You guys realize Blackford plays one of the worst schedules in the state right? While it’s cool this kid is putting up numbers, he’ll be lucky to be a D1 prospect IMO.

Will be very interesting to see how he does if/when he plays AAU.

He could be Steve Nash, or he could be Austin Boucher ;)

Wouldn't want to ignore him and be wrong though.

1 hour ago, VO5 said:

You guys realize Blackford plays one of the worst schedules in the state right? While it’s cool this kid is putting up numbers, he’ll be lucky to be a D1 prospect IMO.

Blackford was one of the worst teams in the state before he went there. He has a cousin who's pretty decent, but other than that his supporting cast is terrible. They'd probably be winless right now if he hadn't gone there, and that's not an exaggeration.

That was a good article in the Indy Star today about him.

It'll be interesting to see how this develops over the years, as some of these kids you just never know.  He's only a freshman right now, the rest of his class could catch up to him in time.  If he does in fact grow to 6'2'' or 6'3'' then it could get interesting, he'll very likely be Division 1.

Cool for Hartford City though.

18 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

Blackford was one of the worst teams in the state before he went there. He has a cousin who's pretty decent, but other than that his supporting cast is terrible. They'd probably be winless right now if he hadn't gone there, and that's not an exaggeration.

Totally agree with that.

Imagine if he had a supporting cast.