Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierCoop

(2021) G Luke Brown to Ball State

Good luck to him. Seems like a really good kid. Will be an interesting follow. If he matures enough athletically he might be an intriguing grad  transfer type for a bigger school down the road. Shooters are shooters. 

13 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Good ol Deland Florida! That’s sum old Florida town right there.

Gonna be a serious adjustment for him in the level of b-ball interest for that school. There’ll be far more people at his home games in Blackford—Deland isn’t really near anything and I’m betting they get about 500 per game in the stands. Not a bad place at all, but a MAC school might’ve been a stronger b-ball fit.

PS: Best of luck to the young man!

I saw a 2017 attendance list for all NCAA schools and Stetson averaged 866 fans per home game that year. 
I also saw a 2019-2020 attendance list, that did not look as “official”, that showed they drew a season total of 8,029 home fans with attendance at games ranging between 15-535.

I would think it would be a bit of a letdown to play in front of such small crowds but he knows what he is signing up for.Good luck to the kid. Must have really liked the coaching staff, or style and/or just saw a good fit for himself.  
Have to give him props for having more Btown  Banners recruiting pages of posts (74) than Aminu, Wesley, Miller, Duncomb and Kaufman combined!! LOL.

Don’t get me wrong I’m excited it’s just odd 
It does seem odd, if there is no basketball in Indiana for high school, probably a good pick, but could see some other spots open up at other schools and if he chasing the scoring title(not sure even possible) and the media presence that goes with it, I would assume others would get involved late?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Demo said:

Good luck to him. Seems like a really good kid. Will be an interesting follow. If he matures enough athletically he might be an intriguing grad  transfer type for a bigger school down the road. Shooters are shooters. 

I feel the same will be interesting to watch ...just hope ALL kids get an unaffected season this year !

1 hour ago, DChoosier said:

I saw a 2017 attendance list for all NCAA schools and Stetson averaged 866 fans per home game that year. 
I also saw a 2019-2020 attendance list, that did not look as “official”, that showed they drew a season total of 8,029 home fans with attendance at games ranging between 15-535.

I would think it would be a bit of a letdown to play in front of such small crowds but he knows what he is signing up for.Good luck to the kid. Must have really liked the coaching staff, or style and/or just saw a good fit for himself.  
Have to give him props for having more Btown  Banners recruiting pages of posts (74) than Aminu, Wesley, Miller, Duncomb and Kaufman combined!! LOL.

I agree ! Blackford averaged 3k !!! In a similar gym it looks like ....gonna be a huge adjustment 

41 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Blackford might have been pulling 866 fans when they were winning one game in three years. 

Exactly ...that’s so hard to fathom that much disinterest ...my guess is if the coach builds on what he did last year he will be moving on to greener pastures 

4 hours ago, HoosierCoop said:

I wish that he could have made Ball State work.  The MAC would have been a good conference and I think they would have drawn a bigger, local crowd.

Couldn’t agree more ...selfishly that’s not only a chance for me to see him play regularly but the Blackford crown in general would have sent more to EVERY bsu game than what Stetson averaged in TOTAL attendance last year (just under 900)

Jerry Hoover stepping down as Blackford HS coach and I don't blame him.  He's 86-years old, had a fairly severe case of pneumonia last winter and now we're dealing with COVID-19.

Hoover Steps Down

After an exciting 3-year run at the helm of the Bruin Boys Basketball Program, head coach Jerry Hoover has stepped down. Hoover, 86, cited concerns about COVID and how it could impact his family as the primary reason. “We had talked it about months ago. The hope was that the tide would turn, but, understandably, he was concerned about it, especially for he and he wife. He was very aware of what I went through so, especially at his age, he felt that he might not survive it if he got it,” said Athletic Director Tony Uggen.

Hoover shared, “I have enjoyed coaching at Blackford and appreciate everything that (admin) and the community has done to make my time there productive.”

Hoover leaves after recording a 52-20 record (.708) which is the highest winning percentage for any coach in Bruins boys basketball history. He surpassed Jon Stroup who coached for 12 years and recorded a 190-95 record (.667).

“We appreciate his efforts and what he did for the kids, program, school, and community. We hate to see him go, but certainly understand his concerns. His legacy will live on for years,” added Uggen, “We wish him the best in retirement.”

35 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Jerry Hoover stepping down as Blackford HS coach and I don't blame him.  He's 86-years old, had a fairly severe case of pneumonia last winter and now we're dealing with COVID-19.

Hoover Steps Down

After an exciting 3-year run at the helm of the Bruin Boys Basketball Program, head coach Jerry Hoover has stepped down. Hoover, 86, cited concerns about COVID and how it could impact his family as the primary reason. “We had talked it about months ago. The hope was that the tide would turn, but, understandably, he was concerned about it, especially for he and he wife. He was very aware of what I went through so, especially at his age, he felt that he might not survive it if he got it,” said Athletic Director Tony Uggen.

Hoover shared, “I have enjoyed coaching at Blackford and appreciate everything that (admin) and the community has done to make my time there productive.”

Hoover leaves after recording a 52-20 record (.708) which is the highest winning percentage for any coach in Bruins boys basketball history. He surpassed Jon Stroup who coached for 12 years and recorded a 190-95 record (.667).

“We appreciate his efforts and what he did for the kids, program, school, and community. We hate to see him go, but certainly understand his concerns. His legacy will live on for years,” added Uggen, “We wish him the best in retirement.”

It's really a shame this had to happen. This virus has screwed so many things up.

On 11/10/2020 at 1:17 PM, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Hoover Steps Down

On 11/10/2020 at 2:06 PM, ebridges24 said:

It's really a shame this had to happen. This virus has screwed so many things up.

Couldnt agree more ...he addressed the players at the beginning of the week and made it seem as though if the virus issues cleared up the door could be open to return but then they released a full on retirement message.  I’m sick for the guy because he really put his heart into the construction of this team and they could legitimately hit semi state ( no  ones beating Blackhawk Christian there ) and that would have been a significant accomplishment he deserved.  

I think this definitive statement is more indicative of the fact that they will likely move the youngest grandson to a different school after this, his sophomore, year.  Hope I’m wrong about that because they have a very promising freshman coming in that would put Blackford in a better position to win a state title in two years than they have had with Luke.  

Well folks ...the “ retirement “ wasn’t covid related ( at least it wasn’t the primary factor ).  I won’t betray the confidence of who made me aware but some of you can probably make an educated guess.  As a Blackford die hard I’m pretty embarrassed. I’ll just say coach Hoover deserved better than our administration provided and he deserved better than what his staff provided.  Sorry Coach.

Anyone interested ( 5 fouls being in the area ) Blackford was given 80 tickets outside of family members for the game at New Albany next Tuesday I would imagine that new Albany is selling a higher number of general admission seats… This is contingent upon the countyremaining in orange as opposed to red ...If you’re in the area and have a chance to go it should be a really fun game to watch

19 minutes ago, ebridges24 said:

Where, why are they going and were they important pieces

They transferred to frontier high school a small 1A school near Lafayette.  The older brother who is a senior was a hard worker and could defend and rebound but was a massive offensive liability ( horrid shot selection , not a great finisher at the rim  , low shooting percentage , turnover and foul prone).  The younger brother is a sophomore and was a mixture of his two older brothers ...he was 6’2 and growing, very thin , but an excellent ball handler with decent basketball iq.  The younger would have been the more impactful this season and would have been a big help in 1 or 2 years.  For this seasons purpose it won’t be noticed in production but it doesn’t hurt depth as it leaves them with only six “ competent “ players and 1 or 2 more stand ins that have significant liabilities.  Liberty Christian Thursday is another solid team but I think Blackford wins ...after that it’s new Albany , shanandoah, and either Blackhawk or barr Reeve.  In that stretch I think they go 0-3 although if they play their absolute best they can give shanandoah or barr Reeve a competitive game.  I haven’t seen any of new Albany this year but they play Carmel this weekend so that will be a good measuring stick 

27 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

They transferred to frontier high school a small 1A school near Lafayette.  The older brother who is a senior was a hard worker and could defend and rebound but was a massive offensive liability ( horrid shot selection , not a great finisher at the rim  , low shooting percentage , turnover and foul prone).  The younger brother is a sophomore and was a mixture of his two older brothers ...he was 6’2 and growing, very thin , but an excellent ball handler with decent basketball iq.  The younger would have been the more impactful this season and would have been a big help in 1 or 2 years.  For this seasons purpose it won’t be noticed in production but it doesn’t hurt depth as it leaves them with only six “ competent “ players and 1 or 2 more stand ins that have significant liabilities.  Liberty Christian Thursday is another solid team but I think Blackford wins ...after that it’s new Albany , shanandoah, and either Blackhawk or barr Reeve.  In that stretch I think they go 0-3 although if they play their absolute best they can give shanandoah or barr Reeve a competitive game.  I haven’t seen any of new Albany this year but they play Carmel this weekend so that will be a good measuring stick 

Do you think the freshman who's playing for Blackford will stick around after this season?