Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierCoop

(2021) G Luke Brown to Ball State

I have only watched this kid play live once and that was against a lower than average Bluffton team.  Stats on paper look extremely impressive.  Clouded this one's future is in the next level.  To help ease my mind either way can someone help answer the following questions:

• He will be a top 5 candidate for Indiana Mr. Basketball next year.  Is this because he plays against inferior competition?

• All that I have heard is how great of a scorer he is.  Is his defense really that bad against upper level guards?

• How does he compare to a Jordan Hulls?  Or is Matt Roth a better comparison?  size and ability?  Would he be this good on a different team/region?

• What is this kid's biggest downfalls?  Defense?  Strictly being a role player in limited minutes at the next level?  Would he be satisfied with that or would he be better off getting mid-major minutes?

• I know we are recruiting some higher level players, but what is our plan B?

• We have had guards that had a hard time scoring the last two seasons.  How does he compare to that?

I am typically a guy that roots for the underdog.  I would love to see a local Indiana kid make it (especially for the Hoosiers).  These questions are meant for information gathering to help shed light on this recruitment.  Just trying to reach a place in my mind to move on from this.

Thanks in advance!

24 minutes ago, HoosierCoop said:

I have only watched this kid play live once and that was against a lower than average Bluffton team.  Stats on paper look extremely impressive.  Clouded this one's future is in the next level.  To help ease my mind either way can someone help answer the following questions:

• He will be a top 5 candidate for Indiana Mr. Basketball next year.  Is this because he plays against inferior competition?

• All that I have heard is how great of a scorer he is.  Is his defense really that bad against upper level guards?

• How does he compare to a Jordan Hulls?  Or is Matt Roth a better comparison?  size and ability?  Would he be this good on a different team/region?

• What is this kid's biggest downfalls?  Defense?  Strictly being a role player in limited minutes at the next level?  Would he be satisfied with that or would he be better off getting mid-major minutes?

• I know we are recruiting some higher level players, but what is our plan B?

• We have had guards that had a hard time scoring the last two seasons.  How does he compare to that?

I am typically a guy that roots for the underdog.  I would love to see a local Indiana kid make it (especially for the Hoosiers).  These questions are meant for information gathering to help shed light on this recruitment.  Just trying to reach a place in my mind to move on from this.

Thanks in advance!

I am skeptical that his athleticism and skill set would ever translate to a team which didn’t have an offense designed around him. He’s in a system where he is the complete center of the universe. Scoring and defending in D1 is very different than volume scoring in 1A and  2A ball

Without that volume scoring I’m not sure what he could bring to a scholly.

For me? A bench player should have the ceiling to develop into a rotation player by junior year. Not seeing how that could happen here. Neither is any other B1G program, which is telling.

19 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I am skeptical that his athleticism and skill set would ever translate to a team which didn’t have an offense designed around him. He’s in a system where he is the complete center of the universe. Scoring and defending in D1 is very different than volume scoring in 1A and  2A ball

Without that volume scoring I’m not sure what he could bring to a scholly.

For me? A bench player should have the ceiling to develop into a rotation player by junior year. Not seeing how that could happen here. Neither is any other B1G program, which is telling.

Thanks for the input Stu!

That's what I'm trying to figure out for myself as well.  but then I look at a Kyle Hornsby, Todd Leary,  Nick Zeisloft, Tom Coverdale, etc. and ask myself would he be any different?  

I guess what i battle the most of myself is do I get more upset over highly rated recruits that underachieve or recruits overlooked that excel at other programs?

**Sorry for the psychiatry today.  Been working from home too long!

9 hours ago, Old Friend said:

Most on this board have been very happy to pass on him for what he is not.   I don't think you ever pass on a kid who has the skills and IQ he does, but I'm not a college coach.

You know I’m on board with that .....I’ve been blessed to see some kids at the high school level that have gone on to have very successful college careers and his IQ is just unique and it clearly stands out 

1 hour ago, HoosierCoop said:

Thanks for the input Stu!

That's what I'm trying to figure out for myself as well.  but then I look at a Kyle Hornsby, Todd Leary,  Nick Zeisloft, Tom Coverdale, etc. and ask myself would he be any different?  

I guess what i battle the most of myself is do I get more upset over highly rated recruits that underachieve or recruits overlooked that excel at other programs?

**Sorry for the psychiatry today.  Been working from home too long!

Hey coop ...I can Answer those in itemized fashion just give me about fifteen minutes ...Stu and I have had many discussions in this forum and I respect his opinion greatly  but there have been a couple points we have respectfully disagreed on ...my opinion is difficult to not view as biased as a Blackford fan but I have seen every shot he’s taken ever assist he has thrown and every turnover he’s made his entire career and I’ve been fortunate to see many local players ( central Indiana ) that have gone on to extremely successful college careers so while I’m a huge fan I’ve also tried to objectively compare to what I’ve seen in the past as well and you can take that for what it’s worth ( oddly enough hulls is the player I watched most as a high school player )

7 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

I don’t expect his parents to move but I think if he moved to a district where he could attend a powerhouse high school team and put up big numbers there he would get more interest.

Hulls had that advantage.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

But he left Brownsburg to go Blackford.  Not claiming Brownsburg is necessarily a powerhouse high school but it certainly plays a higher level of competition than what he's typically facing at Blackford.

But he left Brownsburg to go Blackford.  Not claiming Brownsburg is necessarily a powerhouse high school but it certainly plays a higher level of competition than what he's typically facing at Blackford.

Right, I don’t see them doing that but I think it would help his chances of being taken seriously.

If he went to a Pike, Carmel, Bloomington South, idk, he would have a chance to play against quality players and teams every week and if he outplayed those kids it would boost his stock. Just hard to gage against little sisters of the poor

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

54 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Right, I don’t see them doing that but I think it would help his chances of being taken seriously.

If he went to a Pike, Carmel, Bloomington South, idk, he would have a chance to play against quality players and teams every week and if he outplayed those kids it would boost his stock. Just hard to gage against little sisters of the poor

That's what AAU ball is for, and I'm guessing that his AAU performance against higher level players has not merited further interest.

5 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

I've seen Brown play 3 times, and I just never felt like I was watching a Big Ten level player. I think he'd be a great fit at a place like Ball State. 

I don’t 100% agree with you ...but I do think he’d be a good fit there you’re correct ....do you remember which 3 games you saw ?

5 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

That's what AAU ball is for, and I'm guessing that his AAU performance against higher level players has not merited further interest.

The summer sessions were where most of his offers came from but I actually think most bigger schools are following your defensive thoughts on him ....I don’t think any power six was gonna make him a first option because of his size and how they might translate on defense ...I think his power 6 offers will ( or would have) come late this fall after schools had free spots open from recruits they offered who committed elsewhere 

6 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

I agree with your point it would have put some debate to rest ...but little sisters of the poor is a bit too exaggerated ...they have worked their schedule to include higher profile teams each year ...Blackford has 4 total cupcakes on its schedule that kill their rating and I agree those four should be switched out but the rest of their schedule is respectable ....next year they will have the previous  3 2A champions on their schedule as well as the previous  1A champion and 1A runner up at the hall of fame classic .....playing at new Albany and andrean on opposite ends of the state ....also will have mississinewa who spent all this past season in the 3a rankings .....it’s not necessarily a 4A gauntlet but for a school their size it’s no longer a joke of a schedule especially if you cross out their three weakest opponents 

1 hour ago, Uspshoosier said:

Glad people outside the area like the story ! Where is the herald bulletin written out of ?  Article was wrong on one thing  ....freshman record for a game is 51 and he did It against Monroe central ....55 was career high against Elwood as a sophomore which he repeated against Daleville later that season and matched this year in overtime against Winchester ....also the Bruins didn’t “ make a state title run “ his sophomore year ....unless there author considers a state title run getting beat in the first game of sectional ....beat may be a very generous term I’ll note 

11 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

Glad people outside the area like the story ! Where is the herald bulletin written out of ?  Article was wrong on one thing  ....freshman record for a game is 51 and he did It against Monroe central ....55 was career high against Elwood as a sophomore which he repeated against Daleville later that season and matched this year in overtime against Winchester ....also the Bruins didn’t “ make a state title run “ his sophomore year ....unless there author considers a state title run getting beat in the first game of sectional ....beat may be a very generous term I’ll note 

It actually said state "tournament" run, but still kind of weird to use that phrase to describe a sectional loss. 

10 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

It actually said state "tournament" run, but still kind of weird to use that phrase to describe a sectional loss. 

You’re right ...my bad ...but I’m that context I still take that to mean they made noise when in fact it was an tournament opening blowout from the 2nd quarter on