Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierCoop

(2021) G Luke Brown to Ball State

1 hour ago, monskisprodigy said:

We may never offer this kid, which is fine, but part of me really hopes that we do. From all I have heard and read, he is a kid that would come in day 1, work his tail off and do everything he can to get on the floor. I know he plays for a small school, but fastest ever to 1,000 points, 35 ppg and appears to be highly skilled and of really high character. His size is obviously a question,  but look at what Jordan Hulls accomplished being 6ft 170 lbs. 

If there were ever a kid to gamble on, I don't think you would ever lose sleep over Luke Brown.

Totally agree.  If he's willing to come in, work hard, and fight for minutes I think this is one of rare "projects" (or gamble as you put it) I am fine with making.  There's been too many little hustle guys that have given us fits and I always thought "damn, why don't we have a guy like that" - guys like Jay Burson at OSU for example.

1 hour ago, monskisprodigy said:

We may never offer this kid, which is fine, but part of me really hopes that we do. From all I have heard and read, he is a kid that would come in day 1, work his tail off and do everything he can to get on the floor. I know he plays for a small school, but fastest ever to 1,000 points, 35 ppg and appears to be highly skilled and of really high character. His size is obviously a question,  but look at what Jordan Hulls accomplished being 6ft 170 lbs. 

If there were ever a kid to gamble on, I don't think you would ever lose sleep over Luke Brown.

The Hulls comparison is interesting. Wasnt Jordy recruited by Duke? Always wondered why some of these undersized guys get a chance and others dont.

18 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

The Hulls comparison is interesting. Wasnt Jordy recruited by Duke? Always wondered why some of these undersized guys get a chance and others dont.

Level of competition was significantly different for Hulls.  He played at the highest levels in High School and AAU and his teams were very successful.  Bloomington South was undefeated in Jordy's senior year, won the state title, and finished the year as the #3 High School in the country.  Brown just doesn't have that same track record as of now.

2 hours ago, monskisprodigy said:

Couldn’t agree more ....he’s genuinely a great kid you’d never have an issue with and he’s obsessed with improving 

1 hour ago, pumpfake said:

Totally agree.  If he's willing to come in, work hard, and fight for minutes I think this is one of rare "projects" (or gamble as you put it) I am fine with making.  There's been too many little hustle guys that have given us fits and I always thought "damn, why don't we have a guy like that" - guys like Jay Burson at OSU for example.

That is an amazing point ...saw that exact example brought up on a different page...I have never seen a work ethic like this in a kid at ANY pursuit

55 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

I like the Jordy comparison a lot ....I mentioned this before so sorry for the repeat but two of my best friends in high school ended up rooming with jay ( Jordans older brother ) at IU....they in turn became huge hulls fans. They use to try drag me to all his high school games and I was always kind of a jerk about it.  I went to a couple but I always said he was too short/ small to be iu caliber.  I ate my words appropriately and I’ll never make the mistake again ...he turned out to be a very productive high level player despite his size or athleticism deficiencies.  I wish I had gone to watch him more looking back.  That being said those same Blackford alum buddies of mine come back regularly to watch Luke and they insist that he is as good a shooter, ball handler , and distributor as a sophomore as Jordan was as a senior and , from the games I saw, I agree with them.  I have no doubt the kid will add bulk because it’s something that can be controlled and he will make it happen ....can’t control any height change but I think he’s the type that will be successful regardless of where he ends up. 

26 minutes ago, moyemayhem said:

Level of competition was significantly different for Hulls.  He played at the highest levels in High School and AAU and his teams were very successful.  Bloomington South was undefeated in Jordy's senior year, won the state title, and finished the year as the #3 High School in the country.  Brown just doesn't have that same track record as of now.

That’s fair in some respects but also consider the alternative 1. Brown plays the exact same level of aau competition ( Indiana elite 2021 platinum team) where he has maintained/excelled.  2. His supporting cast at Blackford wouldn’t even make the team at schools like Bloomington....he’s producing the way he is with two defenders committed to him the entire game and there are times he draws a third. 

From having seen both play at the same age I can say if you put Jordan on Blackford as a sophomore I’m not confident he’d be getting 35 and 7 per game nor keeping them at the win percentages they have had since his arrival and that’s NOT a knock on Jordan that’s a compliment to Luke.

That’s fair in some respects but also consider the alternative 1. Brown plays the exact same level of aau competition ( Indiana elite 2021 platinum team) where he has maintained/excelled.  2. His supporting cast at Blackford wouldn’t even make the team at schools like Bloomington....he’s producing the way he is with two defenders committed to him the entire game and there are times he draws a third. 

From having seen both play at the same age I can say if you put Jordan on Blackford as a sophomore I’m not confident he’d be getting 35 and 7 per game nor keeping them at the win percentages they have had since his arrival and that’s NOT a knock on Jordan that’s a compliment to Luke.

Look I am all for pumping a kid up, but Jordy did it at the highest level of this state with a team that ended nationally as a top 5 team. If Luke Brown goes to Bloomington South I am not sure he does what Jordy did in 4A. If we all really want to feel old, Jordy turns 30 next year.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

11 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Look I am all for pumping a kid up, but Jordy did it at the highest level of this state with a team that ended nationally as a top 5 team. If Luke Brown goes to Bloomington South I am not sure he does what Jordy did in 4A. If we all really want to feel old, Jordy turns 30 next year. 

As someone who was in the same IU class as Jordy and also turns 30 next year, I resent your last sentence. 

41 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

That’s fair ...it’s kinda like saying if you switch manning and Brady from colts to patriots do the outcomes change ?  There really is no way to know I’m just basing it off 1. What I saw from both of them at similar ages in terms of individual skill ( which I admit for Jordan was limited to a handful of games) 2. What my two good friends who went to MOST of his games take on it is. 

I think the most fair barometer would be the aau performance since they both played similar completion there ....I will have to ask my friends but do you or does anyone know what Hulls stats were like in summer ball?  I’m not a huge fan of using aau stats because of all the variables involved in grass roots basketball but it’s the only thing we have where the two of them played comparable competition.

32 minutes ago, Andowen1990IU said:

As someone who was in the same IU class as Jordy and also turns 30 next year, I resent your last sentence. 

Yeah ...it really sneaks up ....I’m his older brothers age and I prefer not to feel old just yet so let’s knock off that sentiment mdn lol 

That’s fair ...it’s kinda like saying if you switch manning and Brady from colts to patriots do the outcomes change ?  There really is no way to know I’m just basing it off 1. What I saw from both of them at similar ages in terms of individual skill ( which I admit for Jordan was limited to a handful of games) 2. What my two good friends who went to MOST of his games take on it is. 

I think the most fair barometer would be the aau performance since they both played similar completion there ....I will have to ask my friends but do you or does anyone know what Hulls stats were like in summer ball?  I’m not a huge fan of using aau stats because of all the variables involved in grass roots basketball but it’s the only thing we have where the two of them played comparable competition.

I know Jordy was pretty much the man by default back then cause his year was pretty soft. So that could be misleading stats wise. The other thing to take into account is Lander playing up. That could hurt Browns numbers if he was there. Really hard to judge off of that. I really like Brown and would love a scenario where he ended up here. If he could come close to a comparable career to Hulls no matter where he goes, he will go down as a great one for the university he chooses. That’s what I hope for this kid.

2 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Ha true that. Sean Kline was a grade behind me in the same school. I am old lol.

Huntington !? You weren’t far from Blackford then.  And for record purposes, Jordan’s brother Jay was a heck of a ball player too.  He wasn’t blessed with Jordan’s metabolism and got pretty hefty but we won many a game in the competitive division at the fishers field house because he was 6’1 close to 300 pounds and the other team would laugh at him till he scored our first 10 points.

2 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

I know Jordy was pretty much the man by default back then cause his year was pretty soft. So that could be misleading. The other thing to take into account is Lander playing up. That could hurt Browns numbers if he was there. Really hard to judge off of that. I really like Brown and would love a scenario where he ended up here. If he could come close to a comparable career to Hulls no matter where he goes, he will go down as a great one for the university he chooses. That’s what I hope for this kid.

Totally same page it will just make me sick if he ends up at a non iu big ten school ( especially Purdue ) ...very good point on Lander also not just points but they’d have to share ball handling responsibilities 

I like the Jordy comparison a lot ....I mentioned this before so sorry for the repeat but two of my best friends in high school ended up rooming with jay ( Jordans older brother ) at IU....they in turn became huge hulls fans. They use to try drag me to all his high school games and I was always kind of a jerk about it.  I went to a couple but I always said he was too short/ small to be iu caliber.  I ate my words appropriately and I’ll never make the mistake again ...he turned out to be a very productive high level player despite his size or athleticism deficiencies.  I wish I had gone to watch him more looking back.  That being said those same Blackford alum buddies of mine come back regularly to watch Luke and they insist that he is as good a shooter, ball handler , and distributor as a sophomore as Jordan was as a senior and , from the games I saw, I agree with them.  I have no doubt the kid will add bulk because it’s something that can be controlled and he will make it happen ....can’t control any height change but I think he’s the type that will be successful regardless of where he ends up. 

Wait just a minute! He CAN control his height. Didn’t one of the Brady boys hang from the swingset to get taller or something? A little unorthodox but P5 conference scholarships are totally worth the osteoporosis, IMO

23 minutes ago, biteoftheapple said:

Its not us message boarders that need to be convinced, although tou keep trying.

Who me ?  I don’t need to convince you of anything I’m open to your point of view ....I don’t have Archie’s direct line so I’ll have to settle for you guys ;)