Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JustWinWoody

Indiana Hires Kalen DeBoer as new offensive coordinator

We continue to lose in football and basketball. Easy with the Glass love.

Sent from my SM-G935P using BtownBanners mobile app

We just made a great OC hire, CAM will get it righted, other sports are killing it. You don’t get to be the Glass love rationing monitor.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

A great OC hire.. maybe. Depends on how well his system gels with what Allen wants and what our talent can provide. Archie MIGHT get things righted. But we’ve yet to see and if he fails this year, next year will be a very short leash.

No it won’t. Guarantee only message board posters think he should be on the hot seat after his recruiting success and less than 2 years at the helm. The powers that be don’t determine success or failure in 2 years.

If there is an introductory news conference, I would love for someone to ask if he knows much about math and understands that when you have third and 8, a 6- or 7-yard pass isn't gonna be enough. 

Then again, if he's worth his salt, we hopefully won't be facing many third and 8s. 

(BTW, for those who've lost focus here: I'm referring to Kalen DeBoer -- not Archie Miller or Tom Crean). 

Indiana Football: What the Hoosiers are Getting in New Offensive Coordinator Kalen DeBoer

January 20, 2019 Mike Schumann IUFB 0

The last name of Indiana’s offensive coordinator won’t change much, but the Hoosiers certainly went a long way to find Kalen DeBoer, the new leader of the offensive unit.  Fresno, California to be precise.

Now the question becomes — how much will the Hoosier offense change as the program moves on from the recently retired Mike DeBord.

If history is any indicator, the Indiana attack is about to take a big step forward under DeBoer.

DeBoer inherited a Fresno State offensive unit ranked 122nd nationally in total offense in 2016.  The Bulldogs improved to 40th in 2017 and 24th in 2018 under his direction calling the plays.

Those major strides at Fresno State came after DeBoer took Eastern Michigan from 123rd to 35th in total offense between 2014 and 2016 as their offensive coordinator.  There his offense shattered the school record for total yards with 5,917 yards, breaking the previous record of 5,010. School records were also set for points scored (385), passing yards (3,849), touchdown passes (25), first downs (303), pass completions (309), plays (999) as well single-game plays (99).

The new leader of the IU offense first honed his craft as a wide receiver in college.

A graduate of the University of Sioux Falls, DeBoer played for the Cougars from 1993-96, where he was an All-American wide receiver. He set school records for receptions (234), receiving yards (3,400) and touchdown catches (33).

DeBoer would go on to cement his status as a USF legend as a coach.

Following his playing days, he started as a student assistant for Sioux Falls and then moved up the ranks to offensive coordinator and eventually became the head coach in 2005.

While his USF playing career was impressive, DeBoer’s five year stint as the Cougars’ head coach was astonishing.  During those five seasons, Sioux Falls won as many national championships (3) as they lost games (3).

DeBoer was named a three-time NAIA National Coach of the Year and compiled a 67-3 (.957) record while guiding USF to those three national championships.  The Cougars won 50-straight home games and 29-straight games overall in his final two seasons, including back-to-back NAIA National Championships in 2008 and 2009.

A balanced offense has been the name of the game for DeBoer.

Fresno State, which averaged 34.6 points per game in 2018, averaged 267 pass yards and 154 rush yards per contest.  The Bulldogs had similar balance for the 2017 season.

Under DeBoer’s tutelage, Bulldog quarterback Marcus McMaryion had one of the most productive seasons in Fresno State history in 2018 — and that is saying something.  Fresno State has produced NFL quarterbacks including Trent Dilfer, Derek Carr and David Carr.

McMaryion completed 68.6 percent of his passes for 3,629 yards with 25 touchdowns and just five interceptions. His passing efficiency rating was 157, a few points higher than what Derek Carr posted in his record-setting 2013 season.

McMaryion put up similar efficiency numbers in 2017, once again only throwing five interceptions.  A major key for McMaryion playing mistake free football was effective pass protection.

Fresno State allowed only 10 sacks in 14 games in 2017 and 12 sacks in 14 games in 2018.  Both times those numbers put the Bulldogs in the top ten nationally.

The Scheme

DeBoer worked under head coach Jeff Tedford at Fresno State.  Tedford is perhaps best known for coaching Aaron Rodgers at California.

The best way to describe DeBoer’s offense at Fresno State might be to say it was multifaceted.

With the Bulldogs he used multiple schemes, incorporating pro-style wrinkles, shotgun-spread sets, run-pass option concepts, and two tight end formations. Basically, the offense is flexible and malleable to the situation.  While there are some elements of the dink and dunk passing game that frustrated Hoosiers fans, the Bulldogs were able to produce more big plays out of the passing game than IU as measured by their “explosiveness.”

As mentioned above, the play-calling has been balanced, with Fresno State at virtually 50/50 on run vs. pass in 2018.  McMaryion averaged nearly three yards more per pass in 2018 than IU quarterback Peyton Ramsey.

It isn’t clear how much the Fresno State offense was DeBoer’s preferred approach vs. Tedford.  His 2016 EMU offense was based around tempo (23rd in adjusted pace) and pass-first principles.  Stylistically, how much influence did Tedford have in the scheme at Fresno State?  That is a question to be asked, but the Bulldog scheme more closely resembled what Tedford did at Cal rather than DeBoer at EMU.

Kalen DeBoer’s Coaching Experience:

2017-18: Fresno State – offensive coordinator
2014-16: Eastern Michigan – offensive coordinator/QBs
2010-13: Southern Illinois – offensive coordinator/WRs
2005-09: University of Sioux Falls – head coach [overall record 67-3]
2000-04: University of Sioux Falls – offensive coordinator
1998-99: Washington H.S. (S.D.) – assistant coach
1997: University of Sioux Falls – student assistant coach/WRs

How they are playing now, they aren’t making the tourney. And they are predicted to go 9-11 in conference with zero wins over Michigan, Michigan State, Maryland, Purdue, Nebraska or Wisconsin. Maybe we should have hired an OC for basketball. Might want to see if DeBoer knows anything about the roundball too.

Want a friendly board wager on that?

So when Allen gets fired after this season... DeBoer will move right in?

You think Allen is going anywhere after signing two of our best recruiting classes back to back? And bringing in Tuttle? Once again, the admin has patience. You have to otherwise your program becomes a revolving door with no foundation nor job security.

“Hey, come turn the worst FBS program in the country into a perennial bowl team in 2 years or you’ll be on your way out. By the way, we’ve always struggled to fill the stadium, even in the best of times. Good luck!”

I hate to say this because it’s burned me every year... but I’m excited for IUFB! I really like Penix and Tuttle. Hope DeBoer brings an exciting offense back to Btown!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners
Hopefully he can use Reese Taylor right. Also this guy us coming into a team that is going to have veteran receivers.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Hopefully he can use Reese Taylor right. Also this guy us coming into a team that is going to have veteran receivers.

And *technically* a veteran QB or one talented enough to usurp him. Plus we’ll see if Stevie Scott has an even better season with a hopefully more balanced offense.

And *technically* a veteran QB or one talented enough to usurp him. Plus we’ll see if Stevie Scott has an even better season with a hopefully more balanced offense.

Does Sampson James have the hands to play at receiver because scott should dominate the backfield

Does Sampson James have the hands to play at receiver because scott should dominate the backfield

I’ll bet he sticks at RB. Scott, Walker, and James all bring different things to the backfield and hardly any team uses only one running back.

2 hours ago, maharkn said:

Sampson will get more carries that Scott if he stays healthy. He’s the total package with way more speed and much better hands.

I expect to see a thunder and lightning approach next season by committee. That said, don’t sleep on Ronnie Walker. That kid has tons of talent but just didn’t have the size and strength to take over the full time duties as a true frosh. As a somemore and putting in time with the S&C coach I expect him to challenge Sampson for carries. Scott has a high floor but a low ceiling but can be a huge success as a short yardage back. Sampson and Walker have the talent to be the next the next Tevin Coleman. 

Seriously, the constant negativity in every freaking thread is unbearable.  You detract from the overall quality of this forum with the constant IU bashing.  I find myself coming here less because I know that it's going to be negative every time.  

Amen

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Amen

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I’m with this too. Its hard to wanna take part in some of this when you feel like an idiot for rooting FOR the Hoosiers. I’m always in the camp that’s optimistic. Allen has work to do but I think he can still be the guy. Go Hoosiers!! And I think Stevie, Sampson, and Walker are gonna be dynamic!