Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JustWinWoody

Indiana Hires Kalen DeBoer as new offensive coordinator

12 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Giving the other team an extra 6-8 possessions with a high octane offense sure isn’t going to help the D any. Especially one with no depth

If they're getting the ball because you just scored? Ain't that the idea? Isn't it the defenses responsibility to improve? 

1 hour ago, jonz44 said:

If they're getting the ball because you just scored? Ain't that the idea? Isn't it the defenses responsibility to improve? 

There’s something called realistic expectations. A) They weren’t good enough at the time some seems silly and B) Most Big Ten teams we were facing were deeper than us. So while they could rotate in fresh players. 

Which defense was more tired you think the one that just got scored on in 4 plays or 12. The answer is probably 12. And by the 4th quarter that is going to be apparent even on a team with depth and especially on one without. 

A lot of people like to beat on Glass but you have to give him props for getting funding increased from $300k to $800k

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I’m happy with Glass. He also brought Assembly Hall well into the modern day while maintaining the original facility and history. That was a tough line to ride.

This OC hire is interesting - hope it has our QBs excited!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

12 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

There’s something called realistic expectations. A) They weren’t good enough at the time some seems silly and B) Most Big Ten teams we were facing were deeper than us. So while they could rotate in fresh players. 

Which defense was more tired you think the one that just got scored on in 4 plays or 12. The answer is probably 12. And by the 4th quarter that is going to be apparent even on a team with depth and especially on one without. 

Sacrificing points by slowing down the offense because the defense (that was going to give up those points anyway) is tired seems counter-productive. 

The defense was so awful that the only way to counter it was scoring by any means necessary, which is bad, but I’m not sure there were alternatives. 

As far as what I can tell philosophically it seems that he is multiple in the offensive sets (seems to like the pistol but also shotgun spread). From highlights I’ve seen near goal line he has gone in pistol and under center a few times but seems super creative down there. His red zone numbers are fantastic which should make us feel better. I think all 3 QBs we have should feel comfortable with what he does. McMarryion (the Fresno qb) didn’t seem like a dual threat but had decent running numbers (about 400 yds and 8 rushing tds). It’s gonna be interesting I think. Our QB situation is gonna be a wild ride I think. Penix needs to be healthy and tuttle needs to be cleared. Ramsey will do all he can to improve and will likely get better. Often times in these situations it feels like whomever grasps the new guys playbook best will be the front runner.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

16 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Sacrificing points by slowing down the offense because the defense (that was going to give up those points anyway) is tired seems counter-productive. 

The defense was so awful that the only way to counter it was scoring by any means necessary, which is bad, but I’m not sure there were alternatives. 

The defense got progressively worse though. So by scoring quickly all you do is make the opponents next possession easier. 

Not saying the offense shouldnt score. I’m saying that the offense shouldn’t either score or punt within 2 minutes.  And as high scoring as that offense was it wasn’t that efficient. Congrats on scoring 5 TDs on 12 possessions but now the D is gassed but is going to give up TDs on their last 5

13 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

You’re happy with a 45-77 record in football and a 194-155 record in basketball? You’re happy with four NCAA tournaments in a decade?

Because a different AD gets us a better record in football? It hires a better coach than Tom Crean after Sampsongate? Get real. We’ve never had a successful football program, ever and our basketball program was in ashes. Things take time. Crean was an amazing hire given the state of the program, Wilson was a great hire until it wasn’t and the jury is still out on Allen. I’ll admit I wasn’t impressed with the promotion of Allen but he could still turn into a winner. It’s not like guys with stacked resumes were lining up to coach here and at the time everyone wanted Allen to stay for his defensive prowess. 

Beyond all of that, other athletic programs are thriving. Glass is doing his job and doing it well, it’s just not as easy of a job diehard fans think it is. 

1 minute ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

Because a different AD gets us a better record in football? It hires a better coach than Tom Crean after Sampsongate? Get real. We’ve never had a successful football program, ever and our basketball program was in ashes. Things take time. Crean was an amazing hire given the state of the program, Wilson was a great hire until it wasn’t and the jury is still out on Allen. I’ll admit I wasn’t impressed with the promotion of Allen but he could still turn into a winner. It’s not like guys with stacked resumes were lining up to coach here and at the time everyone wanted Allen to stay for his defensive prowess. 

Beyond all of that, other athletic programs are thriving. Glass is doing his job and doing it well, it’s just not as easy of a job diehard fans think it is. 

Eh, the program was in "ashes" because of self-inflicted wounds. It didn't have to be as bad as it was. And Crean wasn't really a great hire. There were better coaches who would've taken the job. 

3 hours ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

I’m happy with Glass. He also brought Assembly Hall well into the modern day while maintaining the original facility and history. That was a tough line to ride.

This OC hire is interesting - hope it has our QBs excited!

Keeping Crean 9 years was something I feel like Glass was only capable of. 

10 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Eh, the program was in "ashes" because of self-inflicted wounds. It didn't have to be as bad as it was. And Crean wasn't really a great hire. There were better coaches who would've taken the job. 

Glass had nothing to do with the program at the time so what difference does “the why” make? It’s irrelevant that the program “didn’t have to be as bad as it was”...it just was and Glass had to fix it. Crean wasn’t even the first option. We had 2-3 guys turn Glass down before he settled on Crean just as he was turned down by Stevens, Donovan and Bennett when he settled on Archie. To say Glass could have hired better coaches but didn’t is asinine. Nobody wanted this dumpster fire but Crean and probably a handful of unproven MAC level coaches. He just shelled out $800k for one of the best OC’s in the country not already coaching at a powerhouse program which is more than any assistant in the BigTen not working at Ohio St. and Michigan. 

Look you can be as hardheaded and delusional of a fan as you want but inappropriate expectations only lead to disappointments

Keeping Crean 9 years was something I feel like Glass was only capable of. 

This is true. Only because he was the AD at IU. The AD at IU doesn’t have the authority on his own to fire the head basketball coach at IU. The Board makes that decision. He also didn’t hire Crean. That was before Glass. The only thing he did do was give him an extension as a directive from the Board.

5 minutes ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

Glass had nothing to do with the program at the time so what difference does “the why” make? It’s irrelevant that the program “didn’t have to be as bad as it was”...it just was and Glass had to fix it. Crean wasn’t even the first option. We had 2-3 guys turn Glass down before he settled on Crean just as he was turned down by Stevens, Donovan and Bennett when he settled on Archie. To say Glass could have hired better coaches but didn’t is asinine. Nobody wanted this dumpster fire but Crean and probably a handful of unproven MAC level coaches. He just shelled out $800k for one of the best OC’s in the country not already coaching at a powerhouse program which is more than any assistant in the BigTen not working at Ohio St. and Michigan. 

Look you can be as hardheaded and delusional of a fan as you want but inappropriate expectations only lead to disappointments

We could've had Calipari. 

IU football is IU football. If we make a bowl game then it's a good season. But it's absolutely inexcusable for IU to miss the NCAA tournament 6 times in a decade. We should make it every year. That's not an inappropriate expectation, unless people want to accept that IU is a mediocre program and not a blue blood. When was the last time schools like Duke, Kansas, UNC, MSU, etc. even missed the NCAA tournament? 

We could've had Calipari. 
IU football is IU football. If we make a bowl game then it's a good season. But it's absolutely inexcusable for IU to miss the NCAA tournament 6 times in a decade. We should make it every year. That's not an inappropriate expectation, unless people want to accept that IU is a mediocre program and not a blue blood. When was the last time schools like Duke, Kansas, UNC, MSU, etc. even missed the NCAA tournament? 

The Board would have never ok’d that. That wasn’t a Glass decision.

12 hours ago, Crimson and Cream said:

Seems like a very good hire. Upped the pay too, way to go out and get your guy.

First time I can ever remember 1) us going out and getting a young up and comer like this in football 2) us shelling out serious dough 

I really believe coordinators can make all the difference. Allen can be the lowest paid coach in the BIG but if you have great minds around you that can make up for your deficiencies (offense of side of ball) it's game on. Also, with an 800k salary this guy likely isnt leaving after one season which I am sure had to factor in and makes me excited about the next few years of football. I can't wait to see what this guy does with Tuttle/Penix and with talented WR's like Westbrook/Taylor/Hale

2 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

This is true. Only because he was the AD at IU. The AD at IU doesn’t have the authority on his own to fire the head basketball coach at IU. The Board makes that decision. He also didn’t hire Crean. That was before Glass. The only thing he did do was give him an extension as a directive from the Board.

Agree it is the Board of Directors ultimately. But I am pretty sure Glass had a good relationship with Crean and he had a few quotes about honoring contracts and how important that was. If the Board of Directors hadn't finally had enough last year and the decision was Glass's I honestly believe Crean could still be here. 

Major props to CTA here. He could have easily gone internal. And who knows maybe there is a talented future OC on the staff. However, he clearly put aside his loyalty realizing the importance of this hire and the need to get someone in here with a track record of success in orchestrating an offense. And he still made sure his staff remained intact. 

Debord wasn't a disaster but the offense certainly underwhelmed with him at the helm. Overall, I think CTA he has done a good job of assembling his staff. Recruiting couldn't be any better given where we are at as a program. If we actually start winning more games it's not out of the question that we could do even better. Allen and staff certainly have sold a vision and it doesn't hurt that he seems very charismatic and likeable. Really looking forward to this year (and i've said that the past few but do truly believe with the guys we have battling under center this one could be different along with the OC)

3 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

The defense got progressively worse though. So by scoring quickly all you do is make the opponents next possession easier. 

Not saying the offense shouldnt score. I’m saying that the offense shouldn’t either score or punt within 2 minutes.  And as high scoring as that offense was it wasn’t that efficient. Congrats on scoring 5 TDs on 12 possessions but now the D is gassed but is going to give up TDs on their last 5

One of the big reasons that offense was so successful was the tempo. Take away the tempo and you take away a lot of the effectiveness, so essentially you’re going to score less points and give up just as many.