Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

The Ola Depot

Mike DeBord Retiring

10 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

I like our offensive assistants. Wouldn't want an OC to come in a clean house.

Is it common for an OC to clean house when coming to a new job in college? I've been around programs where a coordinator was brought in and don't remember that entire side of the ball ever having more than one or two guys leave. I mean this basically happens at Bama with the OC every year and I'm pretty sure Saban doesn't go out and get new WR, RB, QB coaches each time too. Hard to understand where the divide was here exactly. I hope the hire doesn't end up being internal. 

24 minutes ago, MisterBigRig said:

I don't blame Tom Allen for not wanting to shake up the offensive staff for Matt Canada. He is a journeyman offensive coordinator who usually only stays for one year. He's a very good play caller don't get me wrong, but I just don't see the value in replacing the offensive staff for a likely one year stint by him.

Pat Narduzzi, Matt Canada Have Discussed Pitt Return

career.jpg

I mentioned this the other day. He was run out at LSU and basically a new staff was assembled at Maryland with the new hire. He is an IU guy so on one hand you can point to this and on the other you can point to the fact that maybe he would have come home for a good while. Can't imagine anyone likes switching gigs every year. 

3 minutes ago, TXHoosierDaddy said:

Is it common for an OC to clean house when coming to a new job in college? I was thinking maybe one or two guys go. Hard to understand where the divide was here exactly. I hope the hire doesn't end up being internal. 

Dunno and won't know. We'll see where we end up I guess.

I get wanting a complete offensive staff overhaul had we fired DeBo but he just retired. Whoever it is can’t expect Allen to axe his whole offensive staff just to bring him in. I see both sides I GUESS. Sure Canada would want guys that he feels good with but Hart, Heard and Sheridan seem like dudes you could work with to me.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Yeah no matter who the HC is in this situation......mike hart and Sheridan have value and he wanted to clean house.....next. I would’ve given him a chance, but to say Tom Allen is going to Tom Allen....lol that’s funny. Sheridan and Hart weren’t the problems and they are some of our best recruiters and you’d be fine if they were just banished. Lol

8 minutes ago, jmsgws said:

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2019/01/10/pat-narduzzi-matt-canada-have-discussed-pitt-return/?fbclid=IwAR2D7j7mxvi-TvlZ1AdI3dYiqwgxyeayxtUE6kU1_4-fYgpReQtV7Oaw8Uw

According to this article IU did talk to Canada, but he turned it down, because he wanted to hire his own staff.  

Pay attention George!  Geeeesh!  ;)

2 hours ago, Naturalhoosier said:

Jeebus. Is CTA a control freak?  That's not an ideal view for a program to have when attempting to build a program from nothing. Give the OC and DC a longer rope to do what they want. 

I want to slow walk my prior statement back a tad as my knee-jerk reaction was probably a bit extreme. I 100% appreciate the loyalty that he is showing his offensive coaches by not allowing someone to come in and clean house.  I am a big fan of Mike Hart and it would be a loss to lose him imo. 

I am not bowing to anything Matt Canada wants. If this was some elite offensive coordinator and Allen would not let him hire his own staff or have more leeway I would have a problem, but given Canada's mediocre stint here previously (which was not totally his fault admittedly) I have no problem with not bowing to his demands and finding someone else.

5 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Im sure cool dad didnt want to go through all the work to hire new assistants. Not upset if we dont get Canada though.

He's probably hoping Allen knocks it out of the park on this one so that when Allen gets fired, he'll have his next head coach ready to step in.

23 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Hoping he knocks its out of the park....for cheap.

20 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Whatcha mean we are going to get the best high school coach available. Well outside of Texas. No way we can compete with those salaries

I'm sure there's someone in the Madden E-League that's averaging 40+ pts/game. Maybe we can bring them onboard for $50K and the new XBox.

18 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Here’s my thing. If Canada wanted to get rid of them from the start I think that’s absurd. At least try to work together and then if things aren’t working you can assemble a new staff 

Agreed, but no one knows exactly what this all means. All the article says is that Canada wanted a larger say/role in the decision making for his offensive staff and Allen wouldn't agree to it. To assume he wanted to "clean house" is doing so blind with no insight to the situation. No one with Matt Canada's resume is going to take a job where the HC says you don't have the authority to hire and fire your assistants. That's setting yourself up for failure and a very frustrating tenure knowing your assistants don't answer to you, they answer only to Allen.  At the end of the day all this means is we're going to get an unproven "Yes" man OC with an underwhelming resume. Allen is and has always been in over his head,  I don't know why anyone would expect different now. 

Edited by KzooHoosier82