Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

southernindianahoosier2

Thoughts on Crean after one and one-third years of Archie?

On 12/13/2018 at 6:06 PM, Old Friend said:

I don't even begrudge Calipari.  I don't dislike him.  I have had 2 friends in coaching (one very recently) work with him and have nothing but great things to say about the man.   I just don't want to put my energy behind a team and program that runs itself the way he runs his program.  Not my cup of tea and I agree in large part with you on the "why."

I will say this:  I 100% believe he cheated before he went to UK....but think sconce he's been at UK he hasn't.  Used rules to his advantage, such as perks of the 'basketball dorm'?  Sure.  But thr NCAA allows it.

I will say this:  I 100% believe he cheated before he went to UK....but think sconce he's been at UK he hasn't.  Used rules to his advantage, such as perks of the 'basketball dorm'?  Sure.  But thr NCAA allows it.

World Wide Wes, runners, Nike, AAU connections.

It’s been a master class in how to navigate the “rules”.

He’s smart enough (I think) to let others do his talking and negotiating so he won’t be caught on a wiretap discussing payments but I wouldn’t be surprised if Orlando Antigua and others did these sort of things.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

He hasn’t personally cheated since being at puke but.... to say he doesn’t know what’s going on would be naive. He’s made statements saying they can go in at the last minute to snag a recruit if they want. That’s not the draw of puke that’s $omething el$e.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

12 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

World Wide Wes, runners, Nike, AAU connections.

It’s been a master class in how to navigate the “rules”.

He’s smart enough (I think) to let others do his talking and negotiating so he won’t be caught on a wiretap discussing payments but I wouldn’t be surprised if Orlando Antigua and others did these sort of things.

He maintains plausible deniability.  He's filth, but he's not stupid.

Of course with how corrupt the NCAA has shown itself to be, even if he was caught on a wiretap I'm not sure they'd do anything about it.

35 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

He maintains plausible deniability.  He's filth, but he's not stupid.

Of course with how corrupt the NCAA has shown itself to be, even if he was caught on a wiretap I'm not sure they'd do anything about it.

Until the NCAA finds something on Western Kentucky. Western Kentucky is so screwed.

12 minutes ago, Bailey7878 said:

I see crean blew a 16 point lead and lost at home yesterday

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

18, actually. I'm a big ASU fan as well, and boy was it nice to be on the other side of a Crean classic.

Really baffling stuff down the stretch. Down 1 with 8 seconds left, they called a bizarre timeout at 3/4 court. The inbound angle was awkward as a result and kid turned it over. ASU made 1 FT to go up 2, Crean calls timeout. Then the final possession ends up being a 6'11 dude trying to go the length of the court...

Needless to say that didn't work out.

I see crean blew a 16 point lead and lost at home yesterday

Crean vs Archie can anecdotally be summed up by their performance at the Crossroads Classic: Crean losing what seemed like every year and dropping a game to butler on a last second shot, while Archie has won 2 years in a row and has closed out games down the stretch.

I wouldn't have minded Calipari. I wouldn't have liked the revolving door of players, but he has been to the final four 4 times over the past 9 years and won a title.. I like the kind of program Archie is building better than the Calipari model, though. Hopefully he can get us back to a final four sometime soon. 

When I feel down or depressed (which isn’t very often) I just google UGA basketball and I see Clappy’s face. Cheers me right up that the goofball isn’t at IU anymore!

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

18, actually. I'm a big ASU fan as well, and boy was it nice to be on the other side of a Crean classic.
Really baffling stuff down the stretch. Down 1 with 8 seconds left, they called a bizarre timeout at 3/4 court. The inbound angle was awkward as a result and kid turned it over. ASU made 1 FT to go up 2, Crean calls timeout. Then the final possession ends up being a 6'11 dude trying to go the length of the court...
Needless to say that didn't work out.

Lol

Again, on an in-bounds play meant to go to somebody else, the ball ended in the hands of Nicolas Claxton. The 6-foot-10 forward drove the length of the floor before launching an off-balance 14-footer that clanged off the rim at the buzzer. Bulldogs lose.

“We’ve got to learn how to finish a team off,” Crean bemoaned. “We’ve got to learn how to execute better and we certainly have to learn to listen better during timeouts, which has been a problem throughout the entire year. It’s got to get better, and we have to find a way to

Feels like we've seen the "blow a big lead" episode of the Tom Crean Show before....
I had/have questions about Miller, but I do think he's better than Crean.  Granted that is a low standard.

12 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

Feels like we've seen the "blow a big lead" episode of the Tom Crean Show before....

I had/have questions about Miller, but I do think he's better than Crean.  Granted that is a low standard.

There are multiple areas that go into coaching. Recruiting, talent development, game planning, in game adjustments,  etc etc. While I wonder at times, as all fans do, about Archie's decisions at times. I can't say that I believe there is one area that Crean was superior in. Crean had gone as high as he was going to go, imo. Good luck to him at Ga. I'm glad we have the coach we do. 

9 hours ago, Bailey7878 said:

Again, on an in-bounds play meant to go to somebody else, the ball ended in the hands of Nicolas Claxton. The 6-foot-10 forward drove the length of the floor before launching an off-balance 14-footer that clanged off the rim at the buzzer. Bulldogs lose.

“We’ve got to learn how to finish a team off,” Crean bemoaned. “We’ve got to learn how to execute better and we certainly have to learn to listen better during timeouts, which has been a problem throughout the entire year. It’s got to get better, and we have to find a way to

.....I didn't see the inevitable "We need to play faster" excuse.

I think that has been copyrighted.

14 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Blaming others, far too many turnovers.  His system is fully in place.

Lol I want to pile on but will withhold today in the Christmas spirit. Plus we have Archie and a future full of Hoosier heroes repping IU to be thankful. Thanks Santa.