Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

IU Men's Soccer News and Notes

Exhibition match against Louisville and it was a sluggish first half for our Hoosiers who trailed 3-2 at the half.  L'ville held a 5-4 edge in shots, 3-2 in shots on goal, 1 corner kick apiece.  We hadn't conceded that many goals in a game since October 2019!

In the 2nd half Bezerra caught fire and scored 2 goals on PK's and we took a 4-3 lead at 60' but L'ville tied it up in 79'.  In the 87' Joey Maher scored a header off a Tommy Mihalic corner kick and we pulled out a 5-4 win.  Reports are there were some post-game scuffles after Bezerra was flattened on a bicycle clearance kick to run out the clock.  Jared Kelly reported Yeagley and Robson were having a midfield "discussion" with the L'ville coaches after the team had left the field for the locker room.

On the night, Bezerra finished with a hat trick.  This was our final exhibition match and the regular season opens next Friday at Notre Dame.

Exhibition match against Louisville and it was a sluggish first half for our Hoosiers who trailed 3-2 at the half.  L'ville held a 5-4 edge in shots, 3-2 in shots on goal, 1 corner kick apiece.  We hadn't conceded that many goals in a game since October 2019!
In the 2nd half Bezerra caught fire and scored 2 goals on PK's and we took a 4-3 lead at 60' but L'ville tied it up in 79'.  In the 87' Joey Maher scored a header off a Tommy Mihalic corner kick and we pulled out a 5-4 win.  Reports are there were some post-game scuffles after Bezerra was flattened on a bicycle clearance kick to run out the clock.  Jared Kelly reported Yeagley and Robson were having a midfield "discussion" with the L'ville coaches after the team had left the field for the locker room.
On the night, Bezerra finished with a hat trick.  This was our final exhibition match and the regular season opens next Friday at Notre Dame.

#fire

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Hopefully the D will be ok. This is two games in a row they have looked less than stellar.

To be fair against Wright St. Pratt played goalie in the first half and then in the second half Munie and Maher sat, which is the normal center backs, so its really hard to tell anything from that game without your normal complete defense at any point.

Last night though is not good and better improve as the normal guys played almost the whole night. No excuse as this is same D IU fielded last year and rarely conceded a goal.

Bezerra and the offense are ready to go though and Vic could easily have 20 to 30 goals this season. 

Usually defense is ahead of offense at this time a year, but right now it is opposite for the Hoosiers which is mind blowing and defense wins championships.

Need to get the backline shored up fast to reach heights team wants. 

1 hour ago, BeerBQ said:

Was anyone there? I saw on Twitter it got a bit chippy and the coaches had a “chat” for a while after. 

No, but I saw one of the reporters talking about it on Twitter too, seemed like they were there for a bit after the exhibition 

Munie Tabbed Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week

Indiana redshirt junior defender Daniel Munie was named Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week, the conference announced on Tuesday afternoon.

The Maryland Heights, Mo., native was a key piece in slowing down a potent Akron offensive attack as the No. 9-ranked Indiana Hoosiers played the No. 16-ranked Akron Zips to a 1-1 (2OT) draw. The Hoosiers faced a season-high 16 shots, but only three were credited on frame.

In the 66th minute, Munie delivered the game's first goal. He found the back of the net off a corner kick from junior forward Victor Bezerra. Munie flicked a header into the back of the net off the take to score his first goal of the 2021 season.

Munie has tallied three collegiate goals during his time at Indiana, all three have come in the second half. His two goals in 2020-21 were both match winners.  

The No. 11-ranked Indiana Hoosiers will back in action on Sept. 17 against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights. The Big Ten opener is scheduled to begin at 8 p.m. ET on Jerry Yeagley Field at Bill Armstrong Stadium. Tickets can be purchased here.

Alex Barger @AlexBarger11

I am honored to announce that I have verbally committed to continue my academic and soccer career at Indiana University. I would like to thank my coaches, teammates, family and friends for the continued support. Go Hoosiers!

Barger is a '23 attending Naperville North HS in Naperville, IL.

4-star Josh Maher '24, younger brother of Joey and Jack Maher announced his commitment to IU today.

"I am extremely excited to announce that I have verbally committed to Indiana University. I would like to thank my family and everyone who has helped me get to this point. Go Hoosiers!"

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-player-profile/josh-maher/pid-134390

B1G awards announced today.

Roman Celentano became the first ever two-time Goalkeeper of the Year winner and named to the All-B1G First Team along with Defensive Player of the Year winner Daniel Munie. 

Bezerra, Endeley and Glass named to the Second Team. 

Tommy Mihalic and Sam Sarver named to the All-B1G Freshman Team. 

Joey Maher won the Sportsmanship Award.

50 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Roman Celentano is selected No. 2 overall in the MLS SuperDraft by Cincinnati.  He becomes the second highest GK selection in league history.

Real proud for the kid, but him going to Cincy confuses me because they need offense in the worst way imaginable for both productivity and for the fanbase.  Two and a half years of Jaap Stam's "do nothing but defend" played a key part of them setting goal differential records on the wrong side of history.