Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

IU Men's Soccer News and Notes

https://slubillikens.com/news/2021/7/16/mens-soccer-billikens-announce-2021-recruiting-class.aspx

I follow SLU athletics a bit, and I was surprised to see that AJ Palazzolo is going to use his extra year of eligibility back home at SLU per this release. I hadn't seen anything in the IU media space announcing this transfer. Anyone have any insight? Seems unusual for a captain and regular starter to grad transfer like this, but maybe just wants to play one year in front of family?

Jared Kelly -

Indiana men's soccer news: 2021 four-star commit Coleman Gannon has chosen to pursue professional opportunities and will forgo his college eligibility at IU, sources tell me.  Gannon, No. 36-ranked recruit nationally, spent time with USL side Atlanta United 2 this summer.

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Jared Kelly -

Indiana men's soccer news: 2021 four-star commit Coleman Gannon has chosen to pursue professional opportunities and will forgo his college eligibility at IU, sources tell me.  Gannon, No. 36-ranked recruit nationally, spent time with USL side Atlanta United 2 this summer.

My guess is IU is so loaded, he jumped at the chance to go professional as he would of had to compete for playing time at IU with the deep roster we have. 

Sucks to lose him but by no means crippling given the depth of talent this team has.

2 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Jared Kelly -

Damn. Gannon is so good that I was surprised he was sticking with college but I got hopeful as the season approached. Best of luck to him!

Three-time All-American Armando Betancourt (1979-81) passed away on Wednesday in in San Pedro Sula, Honduras. He was 63 years old. 

https://iuhoosiers.com/news/2021/7/28/mens-soccer-mens-soccer-mourns-the-loss-of-armando-betancourt.aspx?fbclid=IwAR3FB8euKoXDgFcdIcE4U6h583qFJ1cK5ZuQWEtAXgGZKuhWwTo-fnx1qHM

Our first exhibition game of the season with DePaul ended in a 0-0 tie in double OT.  Jeremy Price reported we outshot the Blue Demons 9-3 and held a 7-2 edge in corner kicks.  Most of our starters were on the bench for the second OT.  20 different players saw action.

Reports were Bezerra in street clothes presumably just to be certain he didn't sustain an injury in an exhibition match.  Glass also did not play and saw a report his arm was in a sling.  Bebej also reportedly did not play.

Next exhibition is Thursday night at Grand Park in Westfield against Wright State at 7:30.  Another exhibition on Saturday the 21st in Bloomington against Louisville at 8:00 p.m.  Regular season opener in South Bend against Notre Dame on the 27th at 7:00 p.m.

Nice post-game story on the DePaul exhibition match.  Herald-Times previously didn't permit access to anything without a subscription but that policy recently changed and you should be able to access a limited number of articles each month without a subscription.  If you have a problem, send me a pm and I'll see what I can do.

https://www.heraldtimesonline.com/story/sports/2021/08/17/iu-soccer-no-2-hoosiers-get-glimpse-future-draw-depaul/8154019002/?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot

Nice post-game story on the DePaul exhibition match.  Herald-Times previously didn't permit access to anything without a subscription but that policy recently changed and you should be able to access a limited number of articles each month without a subscription.  If you have a problem, send me a pm and I'll see what I can do.
https://www.heraldtimesonline.com/story/sports/2021/08/17/iu-soccer-no-2-hoosiers-get-glimpse-future-draw-depaul/8154019002/?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot

I got in thanks. Do you work for the HT? I spent 6 years there but that was before on line was a thing

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app