Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2020) SG Anthony Leal to IU

Leal seems reasonably athletic. He apparently can shoot and seems to have high basketball IQ. But the opposition in these clips appears weak. We'll see how his talent translates at the next level. He kind of reminds me of Pat Graham who was also an Indiana Mr. Basketball and played at IU. Graham was 6'5" and was a very good shooter. He was never a star at IU but usually played off the bench averaging 8.6 points a game.  He battled some injuries so that may have affected his production. He hit 48% from three-point range. If Leal can approach that percentage he will be beloved by IU fans after the poor shooting we've suffered through over the past three years.

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

3 Bloomington Mr. Basketballs destined for IU.

Pictures are from Joni Hulls.  On the left Jared Jeff Jeffries with a young Jordan Hulls and on the right Jordan Hulls with a young Anthony Leal.   

image.png.1a01782c6b49ab512fe72d742519a7c5.png                                   image.png.5140ff5625f8d024584550ca0de7daca.png                                                  

That’s one of the coolest things ever. 

Maybe I am biased because Jordan is my favorite Hoosier ever 

3 Bloomington Mr. Basketballs destined for IU.

Pictures are from Joni Hulls.  On the left Jared Jeff Jeffries with a young Jordan Hulls and on the right Jordan Hulls with a young Anthony Leal.   

image.png.1a01782c6b49ab512fe72d742519a7c5.png                                   image.png.5140ff5625f8d024584550ca0de7daca.png                                                  

Some 8- or 10-year old Bloomington kid should pose with Leal. The youngster would be on track to a big future! 

Leal seems reasonably athletic. He apparently can shoot and seems to have high basketball IQ. But the opposition in these clips appears weak. We'll see how his talent translates at the next level. He kind of reminds me of Pat Graham who was also an Indiana Mr. Basketball and played at IU. Graham was 6'5" and was a very good shooter. He was never a star at IU but usually played off the bench averaging 8.6 points a game.  He battled some injuries so that may have affected his production. He hit 48% from three-point range. If Leal can approach that percentage he will be beloved by IU fans after the poor shooting we've suffered through over the past three years.

48% is pretty difficult nowadays. When Graham played it wasn’t a very big part of the game. He shot 57% as a senior. Now he’d be a guy you want to see taking 10 a game. He will be able to spread the floor. Problem is if Archie will allow him to let it fly.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

2 hours ago, Honkyman said:

Bloomington South is a 4A school and plays a good schedule  (Top 50 in Indiana this past season.  Silver Creek was outside the top 100. Should we make the same argument against Kaufman?).   EVERY high school player plays against "weak" competition compared to what they face in the Big Ten or anywhere else.  What are your expectations for players against other high school teams?   You can't play against the best players in the country in high school games, and the guy just won Mr. Basketball over some pretty stout players including Galloway, Tony Perkins, and others. 

Referencing Graham is a little misleading from a few perspectives.  You mentioned injuries, and that was a factor.  You left OUT that he played with some pretty solid players.  Cheaney would probably have won Mr. Basketball if he were healthy; you could have made an argument for Greg Graham, too.  Then Henderson, Bailey, Evans....how was Graham supposed to be a "star" when he WAS in fact, injured much of the time?    

Old Friend has an uncanny ability to start an argument when none is necessary.  I was simply describing who Pat Graham was as an IU player--a very good shooter who hit 48% of his 3-point attempts but whose production was hampered by injuries. I added that IU fans will be very happy if Anthony Leal's 3-point percentage is anywhere near 48%. That I said Graham wasn't a star at IU wasn't intended to be a knock on anyone. It was simply a fact. Yes, I know who Graham played with--I've been an avid IU fan (as well as a close observer of Indiana high school ball) since I was a student there in the 1960s. It is too bad Old Friend is so quick to assign bad motives when none are intended.

Leal was on the Dakich show yesterday.  10 minute segment starts at the 13:11 mark.  No great revelations but I'm impressed with how well he handled the interview.  Dakich didn't try to bait him, but it was just his overall poise and how he answered Dan's questions.  For an 18-year old, very good at public speaking.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/hoosier-sounds-indiana-mr-basketball-anthony-leal-on-the-dan-dakich-show/?fbclid=IwAR242nsOKy5ia3Vyh57ajRoOKkHuHeLJZnagEa3yP-8RBstm6fGATGgcjQk

Leal was on the Dakich show yesterday.  10 minute segment starts at the 13:11 mark.  No great revelations but I'm impressed with how well he handled the interview.  Dakich didn't try to bait him, but it was just his overall poise and how he answered Dan's questions.  For an 18-year old, very good at public speaking.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/hoosier-sounds-indiana-mr-basketball-anthony-leal-on-the-dan-dakich-show/?fbclid=IwAR242nsOKy5ia3Vyh57ajRoOKkHuHeLJZnagEa3yP-8RBstm6fGATGgcjQk

I couldn't be more impressed with that kid.  And I really enjoy Dakich when he is interviewing people.  It's just when he is flying solo and looking for attention that he gets bad.

This kid will get IU to a Final 4 at least once in his 4 year career here. There’s no doubt about it.

This kid will get IU to a Final 4 at least once in his 4 year career here. There’s no doubt about it.

Wow! That would be nice. I have my doubts that I ever see IU in the final four ever again but if I see it in the next four years I will be elated!

I don't know about a Final Four--I think there still needs to be more of an upgrade to the roster before IU is able to go deep into the tournament. And, I don't think Anthony Leal is on the same level talent-wise as previous Indiana Mr. Basketballs. But Leal is very impressive in this interview--he carries himself very well.

12 hours ago, jbell833 said:

Love the optimism. But that is a bold prediction. Seems like a great kid and a good player, but there have been a lot more polished and talented players to come through the program in the last 18 years and not get IU to a Final Four. 

13 hours ago, jbell833 said:

Love your optimism but after what we've endured as a program, I'd be tickled to death with an Elite 8.  There really is a lot of luck involved in making it to the Final Four.