Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2020) SG Anthony Leal to IU

9 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

It’s not so much that he’s losing them to Leal, unless Leal is as good as I hope. But the fact like Franklin will likely play 10-15 minutes and Leal will probably play about 7-10. Which I think puts Durham at about 23 minutes averaged per game. I don’t consider Durham to be a spacing threat. Simply because spacing threats shoot more than three 3’s a game. If he’s shooting 38% next year but shooting 6+ a game, then we’re in business.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Sorry, I was going off your prior post when you said that adding Leal was a big reason you thought Al's minutes would go down. Wasn't sure if you were implying that he's taking some of Al's minutes because we need shooting. 

But on your other note..Seriously? lol. 2 players in the B10 attempted ≥6 3s a game. Both shot under <35%. 

Durham was 12th in the conference in 3pt% and was even more efficient on C&S opportunities. If he's not an effective spacing threat, then I don't know who on our roster is.

Sorry, I was going off your prior post when you said that adding Leal was a big reason you thought Al's minutes would go down. Wasn't sure if you were implying that he's taking some of Al's minutes because we need shooting. 
But on your other note..Seriously? lol. 2 players in the B10 attempted ≥6 3s a game. Both shot under Durham was 12th in the conference in 3pt% and was even more efficient on C&S opportunities. If he's not an effective spacing threat, then I don't know who on our roster is.

We will need Leals shooting. But I think just the numbers game will take away minutes from Durham. Which isn’t a bad thing. We lose Green who played 23 minutes a game but could be adding Lander and Leal who will probably take up more than that. I see Phinisees minutes dropping as well. But Durham was only taking 3 shots from behind the arc a game. Making him an ineffective 3pt shooter because he wasn’t shooting them enough. He should be a catch and shoot guy. He’s not good putting the ball on the ground and is a bad decision maker(like driving into a crowd). Maybe that’s on Archie not wanting him to shoot very much outside or that’s Al’s mentality. But it needs to change if he wants to see his minutes stay the same or even increase. If not, they will be decreasing.

10 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

We will need Leals shooting. But I think just the numbers game will take away minutes from Durham. Which isn’t a bad thing. We lose Green who played 23 minutes a game but could be adding Lander and Leal who will probably take up more than that. I see Phinisees minutes dropping as well. But Durham was only taking 3 shots from behind the arc a game. Making him an ineffective 3pt shooter because he wasn’t shooting them enough. He should be a catch and shoot guy. He’s not good putting the ball on the ground and is a bad decision maker(like driving into a crowd). Maybe that’s on Archie not wanting him to shoot very much outside or that’s Al’s mentality. But it needs to change if he wants to see his minutes stay the same or even increase. If not, they will be decreasing.

Durham's three three point shots per game make him our leading returning three point shooter in terms of shot, makes and three point percentage.  He might not be a great three point shooter, but is he the most effective returning three point shooter we have.  And as someone who 'not good putting the ball on the ground and is a bad decision maker', he somehow had the second most free throws on the team.

Durham's three three point shots per game make him our leading returning three point shooter in terms of shot, makes and three point percentage.  He might not be a great three point shooter, but is he the most effective returning three point shooter we have.  And as someone who 'not good putting the ball on the ground and is a bad decision maker', he somehow had the second most free throws on the team.

He shot a bunch because he ran into a lot of people. And him being the best we have returning and Archie is still going after no shooters in the transfer market that can maybe play the 3 is a problem. We still need shooters. That will once again be a problem. Unless Leal is ready to go. I expect him to be. Also expect Franklin to make a jump.

13 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

He shot a bunch because he ran into a lot of people. And him being the best we have returning and Archie is still going after no shooters in the transfer market that can maybe play the 3 is a problem. We still need shooters. That will once again be a problem. Unless Leal is ready to go. I expect him to be. Also expect Franklin to make a jump.

Wouldn't it be a charge if he ran into alot of people?

9 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

It’s the Big Ten. None of the officiating made any sense.

Amazing....so he got to the line because he 'ran into a lot of people'.

So why didn't the other players just do that if that's what it takes to get to the line?  If that's why he shot so many free throws (LOL), sounds like a good strategy.

1 hour ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Lol this makes no sense to me. 

For the most part, Al had a pretty disciplined shot selection this season. Durham was our 2nd most efficient scorer period. His TS% was 59.2%, good for 7th best in the B10. For comparison, TJD's is 60.0%, which ranks 4th. And he did this while playing a meaningful chunk of time out of position. 

So that being said, how is he "ineffective" if he was our most accurate 3 point shooter? Is this a volume argument? If so, was someone like Steve Kerr an ineffective 3pt shooter?

I may be wrong, but it seems like the point you're trying to make is that Al doesn't have the same court gravity that other high volume 3pt shooters have. What I don't understand is how the solution isn't "give more PT to our best shooter"

Rather, our best shooter should actually lose PT unless he (1) Doubles his 3pt attempts (2) Maintains/Improves 3pt % (3) Does both while limiting how much he puts the ball on the floor (even though our half court blocker/mover offense often requires this).

That's a pretty high bar brotha

Lol this makes no sense to me. 
For the most part, Al had a pretty disciplined shot selection this season. Durham was our 2nd most efficient scorer period. His TS% was 59.2%, good for 7th best in the B10. For comparison, TJD's is 60.0%, which ranks 4th. And he did this while playing a meaningful chunk of time out of position. 
So that being said, how is he "ineffective" if he was our most accurate 3 point shooter? Is this a volume argument? If so, was someone like Steve Kerr an ineffective 3pt shooter?
I may be wrong, but it seems like the point you're trying to make is that Al doesn't have the same court gravity that other high volume 3pt shooters have. What I don't understand is how the solution isn't "give more PT to our best shooter"
Rather, our best shooter should actually lose PT unless he (1) Doubles his 3pt attempts (2) Maintains/Improves 3pt % (3) Does both while limiting how much he puts the ball on the floor (even though our half court blocker/mover offense often requires this).
That's a pretty high bar brotha

Well think about it. We need spacing. How will you space someone out when the defense knows you’re more likely to drive than shoot? Durham on the season averaged 2.9 3’s a game and 1.1 make per game. Why is the defense going to be worried about a game that doesn’t want to shoot it? In Big Ten play it was hardly different. He shot 3.3 3’s a game and 1.4 and shot 39%. So he shot a better % on about half a shot more. Problem is, he still only shot 3.4, so you’re still not a threat from 3. And from inside the arc he shot 3.3 shots and hit 1.4 and shot 40%. Which isn’t good. It’s why even though we had a guy shooting about 40% from 3, our offense still stayed clogged, that and the offense we run is a complete joke that clogs itself in purpose.

28 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Well think about it. We need spacing. How will you space someone out when the defense knows you’re more likely to drive than shoot? Durham on the season averaged 2.9 3’s a game and 1.1 make per game. Why is the defense going to be worried about a game that doesn’t want to shoot it? In Big Ten play it was hardly different. He shot 3.3 3’s a game and 1.4 and shot 39%. So he shot a better % on about half a shot more. Problem is, he still only shot 3.4, so you’re still not a threat from 3. And from inside the arc he shot 3.3 shots and hit 1.4 and shot 40%. Which isn’t good. It’s why even though we had a guy shooting about 40% from 3, our offense still stayed clogged, that and the offense we run is a complete joke that clogs itself in purpose.

So strange to bring up Durham in this context.  He led the team from three at 38%.  EVERY team we face is worried about that.

The problem is Smith, Brunk and Jackson-Davis, who pose no threat outside the paint.  Any combination of those guys on the floor helps the defense, and all three together is a nightmare.

You are both right. The problem with IU's teams the last couple of years is outside shooting from both bigs and guards. Smith, Brunk and TJD together clog the middle while with no true threat from 3-point range by any of the guards allowed the defense to sag and also prevent penetration. This team was indisputably terrible shooting from outside. If Kristian Lander can hit from outside with any regularity to go along with his speed and passing talent he should get considerable playing time.

So strange to bring up Durham in this context.  He led the team from three at 38%.  EVERY team we face is worried about that.
The problem is Smith, Brunk and Jackson-Davis, who pose no threat outside the paint.  Any combination of those guys on the floor helps the defense, and all three together is a nightmare.

You can shoot 38% but the numbers say you’re only hitting 1. So why care?

38 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

IU lands its 3rd in a row Indiana Mr. Basketball. And, yet IU's play over the past three years has been pretty mediocre.  I hope play improves with two Mr. Basketball players on the team next season.

I'm hoping that unlike the last two, this one actually shows up when we play at Purdue. 

I'm hoping that unlike the last two, this one actually shows up when we play at Purdue. 

I want talented kids with the “you’ll have to kill me to beat me” mentality. We still seem to have more “pleasant” players than not.