Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2020) SG Anthony Leal to IU

Leal vs TJD tonight at 8:00 as Bloomington South defeats Jeffersonville 68-52.  Leal only 9 points on 4-9 FG; 1-4 3; no FT; 8 reb; 4 assists; 3 steals; 2 TO.  He picked up his 3rd foul late in the 3rd Q and about 30 sec. later picked up #4 fouling a 3-point shooter.  He sat out the entire 4th Q.  Jordan Meeks came off the bench for Bloomington and scored 16 points, 14 coming in the 4th Q as Bloomington continually beat J'ville down the court and got the ball to Meeks for uncontested layups.  Game announcers said Leal averaged 21 pts. on the season.  Watch out for J'ville next year as they don't have any seniors in their primary rotation.  Tonight's game against Center Grove streamed at:  https://www.ihsaatv.org/watch/southridge-regional-championship-game-2019-boys-basketball-southern-indiana-sports-productions

Leal vs TJD tonight at 8:00 as Bloomington South defeats Jeffersonville 68-52.  Leal only 9 points on 4-9 FG; 1-4 3; no FT; 8 reb; 4 assists; 3 steals; 2 TO.  He picked up his 3rd foul late in the 3rd Q and about 30 sec. later picked up #4 fouling a 3-point shooter.  He sat out the entire 4th Q.  Jordan Meeks came off the bench for Bloomington and scored 16 points, 14 coming in the 4th Q as Bloomington continually beat J'ville down the court and got the ball to Meeks for uncontested layups.  Game announcers said Leal averaged 21 pts. on the season.  Watch out for J'ville next year as they don't have any seniors in their primary rotation.  Tonight's game against Center Grove streamed at:  https://www.ihsaatv.org/watch/southridge-regional-championship-game-2019-boys-basketball-southern-indiana-sports-productions

Pretty tough game from leal today. Didn’t play bad, just didn’t stand out. The youngest Jager runs the show for South

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 minute ago, InArchWeTrust said:

Any signs of Archie and staff out on the recruiting trail today?

I saw a tweet early this afternoon from Kyle Neddenreip of Indy Star that Schilling was on the road and it first sounded like he was at Trey Galloway's game.  But a later tweet from Kyle made it sound like he was at the New Palestine vs. Avon game so I really don't know for sure where Schilling was.

Jon Blau @Jon_Blau 18m18 minutes ago

The 2019 Herald-Times Boys' Basketball Player of the Year is Bloomington South's Anthony Leal. The junior guard averaged nearly 20 points per game. His career points total puts him 410 short of the school's all-time record heading into next season.

I need some feedback from the folks who have seen a lot of this kid. Just got done watching the Regional game against Center Grove. 1st full game of Leal’s that I’ve watched.  Knew going in that he had a tough game and had rolled an ankle in the 2nd half. Was prepared for that. But, sorry, he was lousy before the ankle. Just incredibly passive. Didn’t run or cut hard. Didn’t defend hard. Wasn’t physical. Got flat outhustled on 2 loose balls. Just didn’t really compete, and in the biggest game of their year. I had no idea that’s what I was going to see. It’s one thing to have a bad night, everyone has them. It’s another thing to just not play hard and not contribute. The effort was the issue. So was he sick or hurt, or is he one of those kids who doesn’t always show up?  Have seem multiple games of Galloway’s. Hasn’t always played well, but has always, always, played hard and found ways to contribute. 

1 hour ago, GnarlyTimGarl said:

What's funny is the amount of negativity you see against Jalen Windham but love Leal. My opinion is that their about the same.

Thanks for the feedback. I want to find more game footage of Leal. 

Funny that you make that comparison. I really like Windham and I was watching Leal to try to project him as a true frosh against Windham as a redshirt frosh. 

2 hours ago, GnarlyTimGarl said:

What's funny is the amount of negativity you see against Jalen Windham but love Leal. My opinion is that their about the same

A lot of that crowd loves to point out how Leal "plays the right way." I think I can guess where that stems from (spoiler alert: it's not their rankings), but everyone can draw their own conclusions on why that is.

2 hours ago, J_Smiff said:

A lot of that crowd loves to point out how Leal "plays the right way." I think I can guess where that stems from (spoiler alert: it's not their rankings), but everyone can draw their own conclusions on why that is.

Nope. That's not it (whatever you're implying) Chris Reynolds played the right way also, as have a whole slew of former IU players.

6 hours ago, GnarlyTimGarl said:

What's funny is the amount of negativity you see against Jalen Windham but love Leal. My opinion is that their about the same.

I’ve never seen either play but, if they are Big Ten talents, want the one that best fits IU. Even though I have not seen either player I will admit that I am  puzzled, rather than negative, about potential Windham interest.  Most seem to agree that D1 coaches know more than us or the recruiting services. In Leal’s case 3 COACHES from Big Ten teams, Stanford, Xavier and Butler have all already offered him (as a junior). Windham is already a senior, played in a very visible conference and on a visible AAU team. and had Georgia State and MAC offers. After opening up his recruitment his first home visit was with Kent State with strong interest from Middle Tennessee State, Tulane etc. My question continues to be what does Archie see that no other prominent basketball school sees?  The comeback usually is that the kid is hard nosed etc but don’t all schools need that?

Maybe I’m just gun shy because when Crean thought he was the smartest guy in the recruiting room (Priller, Galon, April, etc) he usually wasn’t.

15 hours ago, J_Smiff said:

To me, this means he understands how to play the game, not just the sport.   Positioning, angles, spacing, passing away from the defense, getting to spots and getting the ball to spots where he or a team mate can do something positive, things like that.   May not stand out as the best athlete on any floor, but a basketball player.    I'm tired of athletes who can't play the game very well.