Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

2022 General Recruiting Thread (Bball)

Westfield (3-0) dominated Friday night’s home contest against Fort Wayne Wayne, 87-39.  Westfield jumped out to an early lead and never looked back. They put forth great effort on the offensive and defensive end of the floor.  Braden Smith led the Rocks with 27 points, 7 assists, and 4 steals. Cam Haffner added 16 points while Nic Depasquale and Matthew Penley added 9 points each. The Rocks will be back in action, at home, next Friday when the Noblesville Millers come to town.

Eric Bossi on Leland Walker after yesterday's Forum Classic:

Class of 2022 combo guard Leland Walker is the classic tweener. He is a little undersized if you play him at the two, he is a little more natural as a scorer if you play him as a point guard. Schools are also a bit split on what level he ultimately plays at the next level. What isn't a question is that Walker knows how to create space off the dribble and that he's got a big time first step and is very explosive in attacking the basket. The guy is going to go and get buckets and that's exactly what he did in the day's opener when he led Indianapolis (Ind.) North Central with 24 points in a win over Franklin Central.

For the first three quarters or so, Walker was focused on scoring the ball and was relentless in getting to the rim. He is a bit of a head down driver and will miss an open teammate from time to time but not out of selfishness. Late in the game, he started to focus more on making plays for others and with his head up he showed signs of good vision as a passer with some nice drives, jump stops in the lane and finds to cutters. If he can do more of that moving forward, then he could see some ramped up attention.

As it is, Walker has offers from Providence and Xavier and Indiana is monitoring closely. Others are in the mix, but Walker was pretty clear that those are the three main schools involved.

Braeden Moore 6'8" SF attends Christ Presbyterian Academy in Nashville, TN.  Currently unranked on 247 and Rivals.

Braeden (16 years old), originally from Southern California, lives in Nashville TN. Braeden has been a starter since 8th grade on his High School Varsity basketball team at Christ Presbyterian Academy. Braeden achieved 1,000 points during his Sophomore season. Currently, he plays for the Team Thad16U EYBL team. Braeden plays the wing/stretch-4 position and is known as a prolific shooter, where he can play inside-out and has a deep range well beyond the 3-point line made. Father (6'7") and mother (5'11") were both collegiate athletes. Braeden is being recruited by Power 5 and mid-major colleges.

Rivals

Hudl

MaxPreps

Brandon Jenkins of 247 -

Tennessee native Braeden Moore has seen his recruitment elevate since the beginning of the fall season. High major programs Arizona State, Boston College, Rutgers, SMU, and TCU have all extended offers to the 6-foot-8, 210-pound forward within the last few months. Moore has also been in recent touch  with Arkansas, Auburn, Cincinnati, Indiana, Iowa, Memphis, USC, Vanderbilt, and Wisconsin.

"It has been awesome. I feel my hard work is paying off," says Moore on the recent offers. "There is still much more to achieve to get to the level I want to be at."

Moore broke down his thoughts on the recent high major attention with 247Sports:

Arizona State: "Coach (Rashon) Burno reached out a couple of days after the June 15th period. They were watching me and reaching out before they officially offered because they felt I had a chance to blow up. I also completed a facetime call with Coach (Bobby) Hurley a month prior to the offer."

Boston College: "I care about academics, so the school is an amazing option. They love me because they want to develop me into a player who can become the face of that program. Coach (Bill) Wuczynski and I have been talking and I train with his best friend. We have had six or seven zoom calls that lasted at least an hour. All of them were about player development."

Rutgers: "They were my first high major offer. They are a legit program on the rise. Coach (Steve) Hayn has been recruiting me and Coach (Steve) Pikiell is an amazing coach. I have been on a zoom with them both and they love my shooting. It also helps that I have family in New Jersey as well."

SMU: "They offered a couple of nights ago. Coach (Yaphett) King and I have been building a great relationship for the past few months. I actually drove by campus and completed a virtual visit with their staff this summer."

TCU: "I have a good relationship with Coach (Duane) Broussard. He recruited a family friend in Tyger Campbell at UCLA and heard about me through their family. I drove by their campus and loved it. Coach (Jamie) Dixon is an awesome coach and I love how the school is a Christian university."

Insider's Take: When it comes to Moore's recruitment he looks to be wide open within the process.

"I am waiting to see how this COVID19 scenario will play out," says Moore. "Before I make any decisions, I really want to think about my options and see if I can get out there and visit schools if possible."

He also says he is looking for three things in a program: a winning culture, the best fit, and academics for his career after basketball.

Expect Moore to earn a national grade around the time the 2022 national rankings are updated next year.

I made this statement elsewhere, but we are really fortunate in Indiana that our boys and girls high school basketball seasons are underway.  There have been cancellations and athletic directors have done yeoman work to find replacement games but all in all, we're playing more games than not.

You've not seen a lot of game stats or summaries for most of our non-Indiana '22 offerees and the simple reason for that is COVID-19.  Here is a quick summary of what's going on in other states and a quick note of thanks to @Naturalhoosier for helping me out with the east coast.   Final comment --  all of the dates you'll see below are obviously subject to change on a moment's notice.

Florida – Season underway since Nov. 20; no cancellations to date

• Jalen Hood-Schifino – Montverde Academy
  • Justice Williams – Montverde Academy

Illinois – Season completely on hold.  In October, Gov. Pritzker said basketball would not be allowed to start until spring.  The IHSA hopes to meet with representatives from the governor’s office and the Illinois Dept. of Health before year end and hopeful that more clarification will be obtained.

• A.      J. Casey  - Young HS

Maryland – As of 12/7/20, schools could start practice; regular games on 1/4/21 in accordance with the state’s metrics.  These 3 schools do not have any schedules available at this time

• Favour Aire – Bishop McNamara
  • Rodney Rice – DeMatha
  • Masai Troutman – St. Andrew’s Episcopal

Massachusetts -  Practices underway for several weeks; first games permitted to start 12/14.  Currently NMH does not have a published schedule.  Number of rule changes in effect for this season the biggest of which is players must wear masks.  the jump ball will be eliminated, so one team will throw the ball in at mid-court to start the game. There will be no halftime, time between quarters will be increased to two minutes and 30 seconds, and timeouts will be one minute, 15 seconds to allow for extra sanitizing.

Free throw lanes are limited to four players and will remain empty unless a possible rebound is involved. During dead-ball situations, offensive plays in the front-court will start from the free-throw line extended instead of on the baseline. Team representatives will notify officials if they plan to foul at or near the end of the game, and a light tag will replace a wrap-up.

Players should avoid high-fiving, picking one another up, and spitting, and social distancing is encouraged whenever possible. Mask breaks may be necessary if players are breathing heavily, but the consensus is that they’ll have no problem coping.

• Avery Brown – Northfield Mount Hermon

Michigan – Season underway; Ypsi with a limited schedule as this is its first year of existence.

• Shawn Phillips – Ypsi Prep

Missouri – Season underway.

• Tarris Reed – Chaminade HS

New Hampshire - Season can commence 1/29/21.

• Alex Karaban - New Hampton HS

New Jersey –  On Nov. 20, it was announced basketball could start practices on 12/14 and games on 1/4/21.

• Zion Cruz – The Patrick School

Ohio – Season permitted to start 11/20.  Counties located in the vicinity of Case Western hit especially hard and lots of cancellations.  CWR has no games until late January.

• Chris Livingston – Case Western Reserve

Virginia – Regular games can commence 1/21/21.

• Tyler Nickel – East Rockingham HS
  • Justin Taylor – St. Anne’s-Belfield HS

West Virginia – Practice can start 1/11/21; games on 1/29/21.

• Isaac McKneeley – Poca HS

9 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Mike Schumann @ The Daily Hoosier

Indiana continues to be involved with Kyle Thomas, son of the late #iubb star forward Daryl Thomas.

Funny--top 100 in the 247 ratings, but unrated in the composite rankings.

Up to 6'10", 220 pure low post young man. Sophomore highlight video? He's raw but he is long. Offers from Illinois and Arizona, so there's obviously plenty to see.

To have a Daryl Thomas progeny at IU would be fantastic.

Latest Rivals rankings for the '22 class.  With so many states not yet having started basketball seasons not sure the rankings carry as much weight as they might have in normal times.  Several IU offerees took big drops and haven't played a single game so their drop isn't reflective of their actual play on the court but other kids getting a bump because they are playing.

#3 (unchanged) - Chris Livingston - Case Western Reserve (OH)

#20 (unchanged) - A. J. Casey - Whitney Young (IL)                  [Has yet to play a game this season]

#21 (up 2) - Zion Cruz - The Patrick School (NJ)

#23 (up 1) - Jalen Washington - Gary West Side

#24 (down 2) - Justice Williams - Montverde Academy (FL)

#33 (unchanged) - Jalen Hood-Schifino - Montverde Academy

#51 (down 8) - Shawn Phillips - Ypsi Prep (MI)

#52 (down 8) - Favour Aire - Bishop McNamara (MD)     [Has yet to play a game this season]

#63 (down 10) - Justin Taylor - St. Anne's Belfield (VA)  [Has yet to pay a game this season]

#74 (down 9) - Rodney Rice - DeMatha (MD)                   [Played first game this weekend]

#77 (up 3) - Tarris Reed - Chaminade (MO)

#83 (down 6) - Tyler Nickel - East Rockingham (VA)      [Season opened this past weekend]

#94 (down 16) - Isaac McKneely - Poca (WV)                 [Has yet to play a game this season]

#120 (down 20) - Alex Karaban - New Hampton (NH)  [Has yet to play a game this season]

#132 (unchanged) - C. J. Gunn - Lawrence North

The following are unrated on Rivals:  Avery Brown and Masai Troutman

3 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Latest Rivals rankings for the '22 class.  With so many states not yet having started basketball seasons not sure the rankings carry as much weight as they might have in normal times.  Several IU offerees took big drops and haven't played a single game so their drop isn't reflective of their actual play on the court but other kids getting a bump because they are playing.

#3 (unchanged) - Chris Livingston - Case Western Reserve (OH)

#20 (unchanged) - A. J. Casey - Whitney Young (IL)                  [Has yet to play a game this season]

#21 (up 2) - Zion Cruz - The Patrick School (NJ)

#23 (up 1) - Jalen Washington - Gary West Side

#24 (down 2) - Justice Williams - Montverde Academy (FL)

#33 (unchanged) - Jalen Hood-Schifino - Montverde Academy

#51 (down 8) - Shawn Phillips - Ypsi Prep (MI)

#52 (down 8) - Favour Aire - Bishop McNamara (MD)     [Has yet to play a game this season]

#63 (down 10) - Justin Taylor - St. Anne's Belfield (VA)  [Has yet to pay a game this season]

#74 (down 9) - Rodney Rice - DeMatha (MD)                   [Played first game this weekend]

#77 (up 3) - Tarris Reed - Chaminade (MO)

#83 (down 6) - Tyler Nickel - East Rockingham (VA)      [Season opened this past weekend]

#94 (down 16) - Isaac McKneely - Poca (WV)                 [Has yet to play a game this season]

#120 (down 20) - Alex Karaban - New Hampton (NH)  [Has yet to play a game this season]

#132 (unchanged) - C. J. Gunn - Lawrence North

The following are unrated on Rivals:  Avery Brown and Masai Troutman

Sorry if this has been discussed, has Avery been playing?

Article on Braeden Moore by Alec Lasley most of which is behind the Rivals paywall but these parts aren't.  

Indiana is a program that has been in contact with Moore previously, but has recently started to become increasingly more involved, as have programs like Baylor and Virginia.

The 6-foot-8 forward is averaging 20.8 points and 8.9 rebounds per game while shooting 39 percent from three to start his junior season.

4-star SF Tyrell Ward a DeMatha teammate of IU offeree Rodney Rice is also on the IU radar.  DeMatha has just recently started its season and through 5 games Rice is averaging 18 ppg; 9 rbg; 3 asst; 1 stl; 2 blk; 1TO.    He's 58% FG; 42% on 3s (5-12) and 83% FT.

Rivals

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-recruiting-hoosiers-have-attention-of-dematha-star-rodney-rice-watching-his-4-star-teammate/?fbclid=IwAR01WUpT_FZ9kG6A4ql66CBautRJcduq30r-VLRHwtuJky-qEJIUFX5d6xU

Stockrisers 9/20 Story

Syracuse Bball 1/21

Couple of weeks ago, Braeden Moore's name (Christ Presbyterian in Nashville, TN) surfaced with IU interest.  Update from Stockrisers --  we're mentioned simply as showing interest without an offer.

https://stockrisers.com/s/297/four-star-junior-braeden-moore-updates-his-national-recruitment