Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

2022 General Recruiting Thread (Bball)

7 minutes ago, jbell833 said:

I think this is the type of kid IU has been missing for years and is eerily similar to Jordy Hulls (minus the shooting form). I hope we lock this kid up soon before somebody like Duke tries to swoop in and steal him. I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t end up in the top 20 of his class. Shoots 40% from 3, crazy b-ball IQ, great passer, and is a competitor. Sign me up!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

You really think he’s gonna be a five star recruit?!?

On 6/15/2020 at 2:44 PM, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Another new name on the '22 radar.  Leon Bond a 6'5" SF from Wauwatosa East HS in Milwaukee, WI.   Unrated on 247.  No MaxPreps data available.   Per Alec Lasley he averaged 11.8 points and 5.7 rebounds per game last year.

NY2LA Synopsis

HUDL

Alec Lasley -

Monday was a busy day for all class of 2022 prospects as it was the first day of the live contact period. This year may have been even busier than recent years due to the lack of evaluation periods up to this point. While Indiana didn't have too many new names it reached out to, one did show up in Wauwatosa East (WI) wing Leon Bond.

Bond is coming off of a very good sophomore season for Wauwatosa where he averaged 11.8 points and 5.7 rebounds per game.

The 6-foot-5 wing came into the day without holding an offer but left with multiple programs reaching out and saw his recruitment take the next step. On Tuesday, Bond received his first division one offer from Wisconsin-Milwaukee.

"I heard from Indiana, Virginia, Miami Ohio, Butler, Appalachian State, Colorado state, Marquette in all [on Monday]," Bond told TheHoosier.com. "I'm looking for a family and a college that will always push me to do better."

For Indiana, the 2022 class has seen the staff take interest in multiple guards and big men, but very few true wings thus far. A position that will be a need for the class, Bond is someone who excels in transition, using his athleticism to his advantage. Definitely more of a slasher and driver at this stage, his length helps him finish above or around bigger defenders.

Defensively, Bond is exceptional in getting in the passing lanes and is an above average on-ball defender at this point in his development. He detailed his game and broke down his strengths and weaknesses.

"Yeah, I would say I’m a slasher who can get to the basket at will," Bond explained. "I can shoot in the mid-range and get my shot off of the dribble too. I definitely think I need to improve my three point shot though."

For IU, assistant coach Mike Roberts was the one who made contact early on Monday, setting up a more formal call later in the day.

"The call last night was good! It was very straight to the point and felt very genuine," Bond said. "We talked about what I wanted in a school and just about getting better and not focusing so much on recruitment.

"I think he’s a really good guy who’s been in my position before and know how the whole process goes." Bond said of Mike Roberts.

Because of the lack of live settings to see prospects play in person, relationship building is as important as ever, something Bond is looking forward to doing with Indiana.

"[Plan on] Talking more and staying in contact in these next couple of months," Bond explained. "I already know that IU is the real deal but the impression I got is that they care about my development and getting better and again it all just felt real genuine."

It is worth noting Bond is a member of the JH1 Elite AAU program, part of the academy that former IU standout Jordan Hulls created. He is also high school basketball teammates with Indiana football recruit Marcus Mbow.

16 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Alec Lasley -

Monday was a busy day for all class of 2022 prospects as it was the first day of the live contact period. This year may have been even busier than recent years due to the lack of evaluation periods up to this point. While Indiana didn't have too many new names it reached out to, one did show up in Wauwatosa East (WI) wing Leon Bond.

Bond is coming off of a very good sophomore season for Wauwatosa where he averaged 11.8 points and 5.7 rebounds per game.

The 6-foot-5 wing came into the day without holding an offer but left with multiple programs reaching out and saw his recruitment take the next step. On Tuesday, Bond received his first division one offer from Wisconsin-Milwaukee.

"I heard from Indiana, Virginia, Miami Ohio, Butler, Appalachian State, Colorado state, Marquette in all [on Monday]," Bond told TheHoosier.com. "I'm looking for a family and a college that will always push me to do better."

For Indiana, the 2022 class has seen the staff take interest in multiple guards and big men, but very few true wings thus far. A position that will be a need for the class, Bond is someone who excels in transition, using his athleticism to his advantage. Definitely more of a slasher and driver at this stage, his length helps him finish above or around bigger defenders.

Defensively, Bond is exceptional in getting in the passing lanes and is an above average on-ball defender at this point in his development. He detailed his game and broke down his strengths and weaknesses.

"Yeah, I would say I’m a slasher who can get to the basket at will," Bond explained. "I can shoot in the mid-range and get my shot off of the dribble too. I definitely think I need to improve my three point shot though."

For IU, assistant coach Mike Roberts was the one who made contact early on Monday, setting up a more formal call later in the day.

"The call last night was good! It was very straight to the point and felt very genuine," Bond said. "We talked about what I wanted in a school and just about getting better and not focusing so much on recruitment.

"I think he’s a really good guy who’s been in my position before and know how the whole process goes." Bond said of Mike Roberts.

Because of the lack of live settings to see prospects play in person, relationship building is as important as ever, something Bond is looking forward to doing with Indiana.

"[Plan on] Talking more and staying in contact in these next couple of months," Bond explained. "I already know that IU is the real deal but the impression I got is that they care about my development and getting better and again it all just felt real genuine."

It is worth noting Bond is a member of the JH1 Elite AAU program, part of the academy that former IU standout Jordan Hulls created. He is also high school basketball teammates with Indiana football recruit Marcus Mbow.

The videos of this kid are impressive.  I love seeing him aggressively attack the rim with enthusiasm and seemingly effortlessly, but I'm even more impressed by his defensive instincts when it comes to intercepting passing lanes and the timing with his shot blocking. 

Tae Davis is another in this class I really like, but for different reasons (most notably, his outside shooting and the fact he's a coach's son). 

The kid from Chicago seems a little more clumsy in his game at this point, but it could be he's still learning to control his longer body at a youthful age.  I think he's the higher rated prospect at this point, but I like Davis and Bond a lot.  Although, it's still very early.  I'll have to look at some of the videos of other targets, as these three are the only '22 targets I've watched thus far. 

Thanks again for always bringing so much information to this forum.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-recruiting-class-of-2022-names-to-know-leon-bond/

By the way, Patrick Baldwin Jr is a stud.  He will likely be wearing a Puke jersey though, unfornutately.

5 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

De'Ante Green a 6'9" PF from Arden, NC is the latest '22 name to pop up.  He is ranked as the No. 82 player in the 2022 class by Rivals, and Green is not yet ranked by 247Sports.

T D H

MaxPreps

Rivals

Assuming this is a McRoberts connection given the location?

On 6/17/2020 at 9:46 AM, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Top-50 sophomore Trejuan Holloman has heard from Michigan State, Iowa State, Minnesota, Texas, Indiana, Arkansas, Purdue, Ohio State, Iowa, Virginia, Nebraska, he told @Stockrisers.  Minnesota native is a two-sport athlete.   OF Note:  Not sure where Jake gets the Top 50 rating as both 247 and Rivals have him in the 80's.

Holloman is a 6'1" PG attending Cretin Derham Hall HS in Minneapolis, MN.   He's a 3-star on 247 and a 4-star on Rivals FWIW.  No MaxPreps data.

Rivals

More background on Holloman from TheDailyHoosier.com

According to the 247Sports Composite, Holloman is the No. 81 overall player in the class of 2022, and the No. 18 point guard.

Hailing from Minneapolis, Holloman attends Cretin Durham Hall in St. Paul, Minn.  He averaged 10.8 points, 9.4 assists, 3.7 rebounds and 2.8 steals a game for the Raiders as a sophomore.  Cretin Durham Hall had advanced to state before the season was canceled.

Holloman’s film shows a true point guard who knows how to run a team and see the floor.  He is also a talented perimeter shooter, converting at a greater than 37 percent rate from behind the arc as a sophomore.  Although he plays with some flash, Holloman only averaged 2.1 turnovers per game to go with his more than 9 assists per outing.

The 6-foot-1 Holloman also plays safety for the football team.

Thus far Holloman’s offer list includes Baylor, Iowa, Marquette, Minnesota, Nebraska, Michigan State, Texas and Wisconsin.  IU has been involved long before June 15 but has not offered to this point.

Indiana assistant coach Tom Ostrom hails from Minnesota and he is the primary recruiter for IU in that area.

Alec Lasley on '22 PG Tayshawn Comer of Indpls. Cathedral.

The Indiana in-state class of 2022 is once again loaded with high-major talent and that was shown last week with the start of the live contact period. One of the more underrated players in the class is Indianapolis Cathedral (IN) point guard Tayshawn Comer.

Ahead of last week, Comer was producing a lot of mid-major interest, but saw his recruitment take the next step as many Big Ten and other high-major programs reached out. He spoke to TheHoosier.com about where his recruitment stands as of now.

"Man, honestly getting calls from college coaches is what a kid dreams for," Comer said. "Every time I got a call I was smiling because I was just glad to have coaches calling my phone but I know there's a lot more work to be done so it was amazing."

With offers from IUPUI, Miami (OH) and Ball State, nearly a dozen new programs reached out to Comer last week.

"Northwestern, Butler, Valparaiso, Western Michigan, Appalachian State, Illinois, Elon, Toledo, Kansas State, Southern Illinois and Iowa," Comer said of the newer programs that reached out. "Illinois, Butler, Northwestern and Appalachian State are most in contact [as of now]."

Comer's game took a step up as a sophomore as he averaged 15.4 points, 3.7 rebounds and 5.0 assists per game. While he took on more of a scoring role this season, he remained a big playmaker for his teammates, the part of his game he wants to be known by.

"I would describe my game as a pass first point guard but I can do everything," Comer said. "I can score from all three levels. I can get in the lane and facilitate really well and make the people around me better. And I’m a leader."

Indiana saw the need to have multiple ball handlers on the roster this past year when the offensive system struggled without Rob Phinisee on the floor. With the possibility of ample minutes available at the point guard position come 2022, Archie Miller is keeping is options open at the position.

Though there hasn't been much communication between IU and Comer up to this point, he knows the history of Indiana basketball and will be ready if the staff comes calling.

"I’m from Indy so I would love for them to show interest," Comer said. "They are a historic school and program that I would like to hear from.

"Being from Indiana, I would love it," Comer added. "Coach Miller is a great coach and he likes to spread the ball around."

Outside of being from the state of Indiana, Comer has another connection to IU. As a freshman, Comer was backcourt running mates at Cathedral with Indiana rising sophomore Armaan Franklin. Though it was just one season, a strong bond was built.

"Of course. We still stay in touch and I can call him to this day," Comer said. "That's my guy and we have a great relationship. He's like my big bro."

247's Top 80 in the '22 class.

https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Basketball/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool

3.  Chris Livingston

9.  Jalen Washington

22.  Skyy Clark

36.  A. J. Casey

38.  Bruce Thornton

54.  Shawn Phillips Jr.

75.  D'Ante Davis

Alex Karaban is not in the Top 80.  Will Lovings-Watts comes in at #76.

Story on '22 Julian Norris from Evansville Bosse.   Although he has no official offer from Indiana yet, the in-state guard told Inside the Hall that one of IU’s assistants had spoken to his head coach about him.

https://www.insidethehall.com/2020/06/25/evansville-bosses-julian-norris-ready-to-make-a-name-for-himself-in-indiana/?fbclid=IwAR22-Smxs6DidFcU60599W2qfeJBcZBDaY7Vtw-aorTX3d2pC5did4LLYGs

2 minutes ago, jbell833 said:

Looks like Braden Smith had a great showing this morning in Westfield. Went for 39 points. The more and more I watch this kid, I believe he is a MUST get!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Much agree!