Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

2022 General Recruiting Thread (Bball)

Name we may hear more of next high school season from @INBBallSource

Evansville Bosse class of 2022 guard Julian Norris is a name that has gotten some buzz around southern Indiana as of late. As a freshman, Norris was in the rotation but took a back seat to a number of experienced players as he only averaged 3.4 points per contest. Fast forward to Norris’ sophomore season and he would see a major change in his role and it resulted in some solid production as he averaged 12.8 points, 3.3 rebounds, and 1.8 assists. 

Alec Lasley on Will Loving-Watts.  This is only part of the article as the remainder is behind a paywall.

While the recruiting calendar is very much abnormal this year, Indiana remains very active with not only the 2021 class, but also looking ahead at class of 2022 prospects. Will Lovings-Watts (Jeffersonville, IN) is one of those 2022 targets who has been on IU's radar for quite some time.

He spoke to TheHoosier.com about his game, his interest in Indiana and also looking ahead to an important junior season.

During this uncertain time, Lovings-Watts is continuing to work at his game and focus on his offensive skillset. The main focus? His shooting and vertical.

"My jumpshot a lot," Lovings-Watts explained. "It’s come a long way. Also my vertical trying to get my bounce up. I do a lot of squats with dumb bells and I feel like it has increased.

"I'm trying to workout whenever I can," Lovings-Watts added. "I go to a church gym and workout usually three to four days a week. Saturday I had my first AAU practice and it felt great. I was really excited to get back on the court."

Lovings-Watts had a solid sophomore season for Jeffersonville (IN) HS and saw his recruitment start to pickup. He averaged 13.0 points and 7.3 rebounds per game while shooting 54 percent from the field. While his ability to be evaluated this summer is up in the air, he is already hearing from multiple high-major programs.

"Indiana, Purdue, Louisville are huge schools for me. Those are the main ones [right now]," Lovings-Watts said. "Florida and also Kansas State as well."

Nick Baumgart @Nick_Baumgart

Ive heard IU assistant Mike Roberts likes Lawrence Central junior-to-be Tae Davis. But I'm not sure how sold Archie Miller is at this point. I'd be comfortable going in on the 6-foot-6 shooting guard. Matt Painter is all-in with offer this afternoon. Busy Wednesday for Boilers.

Nick Baumgart @Nick_Baumgart
Ive heard IU assistant Mike Roberts likes Lawrence Central junior-to-be Tae Davis. But I'm not sure how sold Archie Miller is at this point. I'd be comfortable going in on the 6-foot-6 shooting guard. Matt Painter is all-in with offer this afternoon. Busy Wednesday for Boilers.

I know Baumgart is connected but sometimes curious about where he gets his information...seems like since he lost his job he’s been trying to come up with hot takes (namely the one about TJD). Still appreciate his input though

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

15 hours ago, HoosierDYT said:

I know Baumgart is connected but sometimes curious about where he gets his information...seems like since he lost his job he’s been trying to come up with hot takes (namely the one about TJD). Still appreciate his input though

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Missed it. What about TJD?

5 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Rivals latest Top 150 in the '22 class.    https://n.rivals.com/prospect_rankings/rivals150/2022

Current Offers:

#3 - Chris Livingston

#17 - Skyy Clark

#25 - Jalen Washington

#44 - Shawn Phillips Jr.

#99 - Alex Karaban

Also saw that they’ve got Julian Norris now at #136. Have watched as much as I can find of him, which isn’t a bunch, and I think he’s a really intriguing kid. Like his length, movement, great stroke, and he’s willing to absorb contact to finish plays. Love young guards who play through contact. That’s my biggest issue with Wesley, he shies away from contact. Norris weighs all of 170 and plays through it no problem. He’s on my must see list for this winter.

ScoopmanTV.com on D'Ante (Tae) Davis - 

So far, 2022 Lawrence Central (IN) shooting guard D’Ante Davis has been a prospect college coaches have kept their eye on.  Nebraska, Xavier, Louisville, Butler, and Purdue have offered him a scholarship with Ohio State, Cincinnati, Iowa and Indiana showing interest.

Purdue, who offered him yesterday, has been recruiting him hard for a while now and has developed a good relationship with Davis so far.

“I’ve been down on an unofficial visit and they have a great coaching staff behind their program,” he said. “They have been recruiting me hard.”

Almost all of the programs recruiting him right now have made him a priority in the class of 2022, and they’ve all enjoyed his ability to do a little bit of everything on the floor.

“Versatility, athleticism, quick first step and being able to play on both sides of the floor,” he said of what coaches like about his game. “My jumper, the way I get to the rim and my competitiveness.”

Davis has utilized the extra time off, due to the pandemic, to improve his overall game. He has spent the majority of his time preparing for the next opportunity he’s able to play in front of coaches.  “My ball handling has been fine but I’ve been working on perfecting it,” Davis explained. “Being more crafty and shifty.”

On a side note, his father, D'Andre Davis Sr. has been named head coach at Warren Central (IN), and Tae will follow his father from Lawrence Central to Warren Central.

Alec Lasley on D'Ante Davis

While the 2021 in-state class of Indiana is one of the deepest it has been, the class of 2022 already has a lot of prospects emerging as high-major talent. Three-star wing D'Ante Davis (Indianapolis, IN) is one of those players who is already making a name for himself despite not having most of this summer to be evaluated.

Playing for Lawrence Central (IN) last year, Davis played a backseat role to his older brother De'Andre Davis, who is set to begin his freshman year with Louisville. Over the weekend, however, it was announced that Davis's father, De'Andre Davis Sr. will now be taking over the Warren Central program, and joining him will be D'Ante.

The 6-foot-6 rising junior averaged 10.9 points and 4.7 rebounds per game last season and already feels like his game has improved. With AAU put on hold for the time being, Davis has had to be creative when it comes to working out. Not always being able to compete against other players, it has allowed Davis to work on his game and develop new parts as well.

"My offseason’s been great. I’ve been able to get a lot better through everything that’s going on," Davis told TheHoosier.com. "I’ve been running on the treadmill, conditioning during my basketball workouts and staying in the weight room. I’ve been improving my ball handling a lot, trying to perfect it, as well as my shot."

Because of his sophomore season, Davis has already garnered a lot of high-major interest. Outside of offers from Butler, Purdue, Louisville, Nebraska and Xavier, Davis is also hearing from Iowa, Ohio State, Illinois, Michigan and Indiana among others.

For Indiana, Davis has already built a solid relationship with the coaching staff and is looking forward to how it continues to develop.  "It's been great and I am constantly building relationships with the great coaching staff," Davis said of Indiana. "They have a great fan base as well as a great coaching staff. I've been mainly talking to coach Roberts and coach Miller up to this point.”

D'Ante Davis had the opportunity to learn from his older brother De'Andre's recruiting process over the past couple of years. Now that it's his turn, D'Ante is taking a methodical approach to his recruitment.  "Some things that I’ve learned from his recruitment and picking a school is to just take time with it, go through the process and evaluate each school carefully," Davis said. "Never pick a school from the name but from relationships and where I can succeed at."

40 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

What does everyone think about Jalen Washington? Seems like the top '22 in-state player.

He's highly ranked but I keep asking myself why he's that highly ranked when he's missed virtually all of his last 2 high school seasons due to injuries.   And I believe I read that had there been an AAU season he wouldn't have participated because of rehabbing so that wouldn't have told us anything either.  Personally, I'm concerned he's injury prone and it will be an ongoing problem.  For his sake I hope I'm wrong.

3 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

He's highly ranked but I keep asking myself why he's that highly ranked when he's missed virtually all of his last 2 high school seasons due to injuries.   And I believe I read that had there been an AAU season he wouldn't have participated because of rehabbing so that wouldn't have told us anything either.  Personally, I'm concerned he's injury prone and it will be an ongoing problem.  For his sake I hope I'm wrong.

That explains why he doesn't get the accolades I thought he would. 

Possibly a player that is really hurt in the recruiting sense because there's no AAU season.

Stock Risers on Isaac McKneely.

With the contact period just days away, we highlight some of the 2022 prospects you must keep an eye out for, ones that coaches will immediately call when that clock strikes midnight on June 15th.

Schools in need of a sharpshooter from the 2022 class? Isaac McKneely is your guy. The West Virginia native stands at 6-foot-4 and has an impressive recruitment early into his high school career. Outside of his recruitment, lets talk his game.

44%, that is the percentage of three-pointers that McKneely made on all his attempts, which isn’t a bad number. Point wise, he was seeing around 22.5 points per game and is always an immediate force on offense when the ball is in his hands.

Now, like we mentioned before, his impressive recruitment. McKneely holds early offers from Stetson, Robert Morris, Marshall, Davidson, Xavier, Liberty, West Virginia, Kansas State, Virginia Tech, Ohio University, Louisville, and Maryland.

“The programs with interest include: Virginia, Ohio State, Indiana, NC State, Wake Forest, Georgia, and Purdue,” McKneely told Stockrisers.com.

McKneely says ‘College coaches love what I have to offer’ and when he says that it could be his impressive skillset, or he could be talking about the 4.5 GPA he put up in the last semester of school. So, both academically and skill wise, this prospect is one that schools will likely immediately jump on.

Definitely a slow day at the office.

June 2020    

2022 247 Rivals ESPN Top 60

Skyy Clark 18 17 20
Alex Karaban n.a. 99 55
Chris Livingston 3 3 5
Shawn Phillips Jr. 46 44 n.a.
Bruce Thornton 31 19 n.a.
Jalen Washington 17 25 15

Update on '22 PG Braden Smith from Westfield HS.  He's added 2" in height and now reported at an even 6'.  Dad is 6'3" and mother is 5'8" so adding another inch or two at his age is certainly possible.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-recruiting-hoosiers-in-regular-contact-with-in-state-2022-point-guard-braden-smith/?fbclid=IwAR2Th7zffd7p_ivF19C5ob1OoK4t3d925gipvTU3VaT5VBfi4h08vW0jx8M