Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

2022 General Recruiting Thread (Bball)

An updated list of IU prospects from The Daily Hoosier.  I've posted it in the '22 recruiting thread, but the list also includes '23 prospects as well as a couple of '24s.  Don't be misled by the wording in the URL.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/first-look-indianas-class-of-2020-and-2021-prospects/

Also take the opportunity to point out that AAU events are happening across the country and many of our offerees are participating.  Unfortunately, in these smaller events, scores are the only thing that usually get posted except for an occasional tweet about a players performance.  Once the shoe company events commence, we should start seeing individual player stats.  Currently UAA is the only one that's published a calendar and its first event won't be held until the last weekend in May but it's in Westfield and perhaps by that time, spectators will be allowed. 

Does anyone have a sense how the IU recruiting priorities may have changed with the coaching staff changes. Are some of the players that were previously offered still be contacted? We recently saw some new offers. Are they higher priority than some of the older ones? Any insight or impressions appreciated 

No idea to what extend CMW will have in Will Lovings-Watts but he teamed up with Reggie Bass (Illinois commit) on Team Teague this past weekend and apparently played quite well.  Coincidentally, The Daily Hoosier posted a brief story on him earlier today that includes a 4:00 vid clip.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/watch-class-of-2022-in-state-guard-will-lovings-watts-junior-season-highlights/?fbclid=IwAR24UqXuWF-aimzAKki_G8thffanIhOzgEysXn7Ongg0Uu3XDfO2eW-l_E0

# Gms PPG FG% 3FG% FT% RBG Asst TO Stls Blk
20-21 HS     22 16.3 58% 48%   6.3        
19-20 HS     16 13.0 49% 29% 71% 7.3 1.4 1.2 1.1 0.4
18-19 HS    25 8.4 61% 13% 66% 5.2 1.0 1.3 0.7 1.0

33 minutes ago, mike vannice said:

How about a 2022 class of C.J. Gunn, Jalen Washington, Noah Clowney, and Kaleb Banks. As much as I like Braden Smith's game I'm afraid he might be the odd man out.

I think we’re gonna need a point out of that class however.

Rob, X, and Parker will all have had at least four years of college ball. Yes they’ll have eligibility left, but it’s questionable that they’ll use it.

How about a 2022 class of C.J. Gunn, Jalen Washington, Noah Clowney, and Kaleb Banks. As much as I like Braden Smith's game I'm afraid he might be the odd man out.

Sounds great.

I don’t think any team gets a Washington and Clowney in same class.

Seems like a loaded class. Lot of guys I really like. Going to be hard to figure how many guys to go after.

Banks and one of the bigs would make me happy.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

11 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

I think we’re gonna need a point out of that class however.

Rob, X, and Parker will all have had at least four years of college ball. Yes they’ll have eligibility left, but it’s questionable that they’ll use it.

Think the class will consist of a 1, Gunn, a couple of big 3/4's, and a 5 at the minimum. TJD, and Race will be gone and there could be others as well like Rob, Johnson, or Stewart like you said. Not to mention if someone has a great year they could go pro and people could always transfer. 

Latest rankings from ESPN on kids with IU offers extended by both Archie and Woody.

2022 ESPN Top 60 @ 04.21.21
Chris Livingston 6
Jalen Washington 27
Jalen Hood-Schifino 28
Zion Cruz 29
A. J. Casey 34
Justice Williams 38
Julian Phillips 39
Alex Karaban 50
Tyrell Ward 53

Pretty low on the IU radar but FWIW from Relentless  Hoops:  I liked the motor that 2022 G Will Lovings-Watts played with in a blowout win today for Indiana Elite. Really long arms that help him on both offense & defense, smooth getting to the basket. He had 14 points, 8 rebounds, and 4 blocks.

Just a little something to pass the time on a rainy day in northcentral Indiana.  Compiled the most recent rankings I found and then computed an average.  Purely for fun.  FYI, Avery Brown, Justin Taylor and Masai Troutman had no high school season at all this past winter and Alex Karaban had a very limited season due to the pandemic.  Several others as well played far fewer games than they typically would.

2021 Avg.   ESPN Top 100 @ 04.21/21 Rivals Top 150 - Most Recent 247 Top - Most Recent

Tamar Bates 41   23 57 44
Logan Duncomb 77   87 72 73

2022 Avg. Prep Hoops @ 04.28.21 ESPN Top 60 @ 04.21.21 Rivals Top 150 - Most Recent 247 - Most Recent
Chris Livingston 4 3 6 3 4
Zion Cruz 19 12 29 16 18
A. J. Casey 22 10 34 21 21
Jalen Washington 23 22 27 24 20
Jalen Hood-Schifino 32 29 28 42 27
Julian Phillips 33 33 39 28 30
Justice Williams 36 46 38 31 28
Tyrell Ward 49 43 53 48 53
Favour Aire 70 76   55 79
Shawn Phillips 76 84   61 84
Justin Taylor 84 96   69 87
Tarris Reed 86 80   83 95
Tyler Nickel 87 100   91 69
Alex Karaban 95 121 50 137 73
Rodney Rice 97 125   77 89
Seth Trimble 102 118   109 78
Kaleb  Banks 103 95   120 93
C. J. Gunn 124 119   148 105
Avery Brown 151 182   135 135
Masai Troutman N/R N/R   N/R N/R
Noah Clowney N/R N/R   N/R N/R

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Wow.  Like this one.  TBH I’ve liked pretty much all the new offers.  Just a matter of landing a few first tier guys. 

We are definitely bringing in a forward next year. 

Trevor Andershock reporting Jaden Schutt a 6'5" SG attending Yorkville Christian HS in Yorkville, IL is on the IU radar.  Details are behind a paywall but here's some additional background on Schutt.  Plays AAU for Illinois Wolves on the UAA circuit.

Rivals

MaxPreps

HUDL

20-21 HS 11 26.2 56% 39% 84% 7.9 3.9 1.5 3.6 0.8
19-20 HS 34 22.2 51% 43% 85% 9.1 2.9 1.3 2.1 1.4
18-19 HS 23 15.5 46% 36% 80% 5.8 2.5 1.0 2.2 1.0

March '21 Game Story

Commentary from last weekend' AAU event:  

The leading scorer in the Stars matchup with 20 points, Schutt can put up points in bunches and looked like he was out to make a statement in this particular game. He was locked in & aggressive from the start, displaying his high-level shot-making ability throughout. Already having good size at 6’5”, Schutt pairs that with good, quick elevation on his jumper that allows him to get off and hit shots even with little space. He plays with a bit of an edge to him and came through with some big jumpers that helped to energize the team. His 3-point shooting will be most coveted, but Schutt is also a good 1-foot leaper in space, is effective attacking closeouts and getting to mid-range spots, and doesn’t shy away from contact at the basket. It is easy to see why he is heavily recruited; things took off for him last summer and after they went quiet for a while, Penn State, Providence, & Minnesota have all extended offers this spring. Given the guys I’ve seen in the Southeast and other regions, Schutt looked like a prospect who clearly deserves to be within the Top 100 nationally.

Trent Markwith - 2022 SG Jaden Schutt reeled off some impressive scoring spurts today and ended with a 20-point outing to beat the Georgia Stars. Elite shooter with quick-twitch athleticism & can stop on a dime to rise up over defenders. Really pretty shot. Competitive.

5 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Trevor Andershock reporting Jaden Schutt a 6'5" SG attending Yorkville Christian HS in Yorkville, IL is on the IU radar.  Details are behind a paywall but here's some additional background on Schutt.  Plays AAU for Illinois Wolves on the UAA circuit.

Rivals

MaxPreps

HUDL

20-21 HS 11 26.2 56% 39% 84% 7.9 3.9 1.5 3.6 0.8
19-20 HS 34 22.2 51% 43% 85% 9.1 2.9 1.3 2.1 1.4
18-19 HS 23 15.5 46% 36% 80% 5.8 2.5 1.0 2.2 1.0

March '21 Game Story

Commentary from last weekend' AAU event:  

The leading scorer in the Stars matchup with 20 points, Schutt can put up points in bunches and looked like he was out to make a statement in this particular game. He was locked in & aggressive from the start, displaying his high-level shot-making ability throughout. Already having good size at 6’5”, Schutt pairs that with good, quick elevation on his jumper that allows him to get off and hit shots even with little space. He plays with a bit of an edge to him and came through with some big jumpers that helped to energize the team. His 3-point shooting will be most coveted, but Schutt is also a good 1-foot leaper in space, is effective attacking closeouts and getting to mid-range spots, and doesn’t shy away from contact at the basket. It is easy to see why he is heavily recruited; things took off for him last summer and after they went quiet for a while, Penn State, Providence, & Minnesota have all extended offers this spring. Given the guys I’ve seen in the Southeast and other regions, Schutt looked like a prospect who clearly deserves to be within the Top 100 nationally.

Trent Markwith - 2022 SG Jaden Schutt reeled off some impressive scoring spurts today and ended with a 20-point outing to beat the Georgia Stars. Elite shooter with quick-twitch athleticism & can stop on a dime to rise up over defenders. Really pretty shot. Competitive.

Strong offer list