Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

So some concerns I’m having...

1 hour ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

I’ve never coached - how do you coach that? I always thought free throws are something you practice on your own time. I’m just curious how a coach could impact free throw shooting positively or negatively.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I knew someone that helped with the USI team and they told me the coaches set a rule that players had to hit a certain number before they could leave (IIRC).

Something has to be done though; Miller had one team at Dayton shoot better than real low 70s with a few in the 60s.  That has to change.

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

What is Smith thinking at the free throw line? He must be a practice player. A guy who excels in practice but the brighter the lights the worse the game.

His misses aren’t even close. Not sure in all my life have I missed a free throw the way 50% of his look.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

The first issue I see with Smith's shot is he puts way too much arc on it.  Getting that much air on the ball makes it tougher to be accurate and it decreases the likelihood that you get a friendly bounce off the rim.

I think its still too early to make any statements on Archie and Co. I think by the end of the season we will have a pretty good idea where we are headed.

Side note: I was one of the few that was high on Holtmann and would have hired him. Still think the comparison at 5 years  between Holtmann and Archie will be interesting.

Archie doesn't have control over the shoe/apparel. IU's deal with Adidas runs another 5 years at $7 mn annually. It's in the top 10 or so apparel deals in the NCAA.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Also it’s not really all Adidas fault. Adidas is actually not only the fastest growing sportswear brand, it’s one of the fastest growing brands period. It could be argued that Adidas is more popular now than Nike, especially shoe-wise. IU is likely handcuffing them and not giving them much opportunity to be creative.

I think we were completely overmatched in talent last night. The guys Crean left are just bench players. With the exception of Morgan. Archie needs to get more of his guys in there before my iu basketball world starts crumbling again. I also think the motion offense is outdated and had a lot to do with our TO's. I was very impressed with dukes movement and off ball screens. Let's face it, basketball is a game of screens now. And damn, I thought Romeo was way better from 3 than what he has shown 

Just now, Alford Bailey said:

I think its still too early to make any statements on Archie and Co. I think by the end of the season we will have a pretty good idea where we are headed.

Side note: I was one of the few that was high on Holtmann and would have hired him. Still think the comparison at 5 years  between Holtmann and Archie will be interesting.

I too had Holtmann pretty high on my list. 

I, however, don’t really like the look of this years uniforms either. I think the neckline and shoulders just look really weird and I’m not a huge fan of the font. I really like the look of Michigan’s uniforms with the skinnier shoulder straps.

16 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I too had Holtmann pretty high on my list. 

I'm very interested to see how Holtmann does. He was definitely there for the taking. 

Also, what about Chris Mack? I wonder if we ever tried to make a run at him. He's killing the recruiting at Lville so far and had a big win against Mich St. last night with an inferior team. 

Screw Holtman, Mack, and all the rest. Want to understand why they aren’t here? There are ample threads to read through. Maybe get through year two and have something to compare to before you start pining for another coach.

The thing about Holtmann is that no one knew that he would be recruiting this well at OSU. At this point, I lean toward taking Holtmann, but in no way am I out on Archie at this point. I think Archie will prove to be a fine coach in the long run, but Holtmann looks to be an incredible coach at a school where people do not even show up to their games. I have family in Ohio so maybe that is skewing my view. And I cannot recall if Mack was mentioned during the search.

Just now, FraneT said:

The thing about Holtmann is that no one knew that he would be recruiting this well at OSU. At this point, I lean toward taking Holtmann, but in no way am I out on Archie at this point. I think Archie will prove to be a fine coach in the long run, but Holtmann looks to be an incredible coach at a school where people do not even show up to their games. I have family in Ohio so maybe that is skewing my view. And I cannot recall if Mack was mentioned during the search.

Frankly, I wanted Holtmann more than Miller.  Although I would've preferred to see a little more out of both.

16 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Screw Holtman, Mack, and all the rest. Want to understand why they aren’t here? There are ample threads to read through. Maybe get through year two and have something to compare to before you start pining for another coach.

There is no pining for another coach at least from me (others already with the knee jerk reaction) but the comparison to at least Holtmann will always be there. Same thing goes for QB's drafted right behind each other. The connection will always be made whether it is fair or not. That's all. 

There was nothing out there to indicate  that Archie was not the right hire.  Everyone that knows college basketball thought Miller was the next young coach to take over a top program. Why don't we wait until he has a full (healthy)roster, and then you can get the pitch forks out. One season, and a handful of games (shorthanded),and people are giving up. Unreal!

Just now, jk34 said:

There was nothing out there to indicate  that Archie was not the right hire.  Everyone that knows college basketball thought Miller was the next young coach to take over a top program. Why don't we wait until he has a full (healthy)roster, and then you can get the pitch forks out. One season, and a handful of games (shorthanded),and people are giving up. Unreal!

Everybody thought Billy Gillespie was the next young stud coach. Yikes. Not giving up. But citing the things that don’t look good is just common sense. 

Holtmann got it done in year 1. Not unfair to wonder. 

There is no pining for another coach at least from me (others already with the knee jerk reaction) but the comparison to at least Holtmann will always be there. Same thing goes for QB's drafted right behind each other. The connection will always be made whether it is fair or not. That's all. 

For sure. So far, we have one season each to compare. Looking forward to completing season two!

1 minute ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

For sure. So far, we have one season each to compare. Looking forward to completing season two!

Correct. Plenty of season left and hopefully most can realize that the roster was a bit more talented for one team in year one. 

I am still high on archie. He was everything i wanted to see in a coach. I will agree he is laying a nice foundation for the masses tp turn on him and call for his head but like it or not no matter his performance i think he stays untill this years freshmen graduates. All the concerns mentioned on this thread are legit and i hate the way this team is performing more than anyone but i still feel archie is the right hire and this will all be used to fuel his fire to be one of the great college coaches. Takes patience and time and i know were all running out of patience and some of us time lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app