Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

OliviaPope40

IUBB @ Duke- 11/27 @ 9:30

Here's a nice and optimistic article on IU basketball and its fans from a Duke writer.  This thread needs a little positivity...
https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2018/11/28/18115815/a-word-for-our-indiana-friends-duke-basketball

Something something something bury me upside and kiss my... something.

I hate Duke and their self-righteous, hypocritical, conman, Coach “I do things the right way” K. Coach “there’s no cheating in college basketball” K. Coach “there’s no advantage to coaching the Olympics teams” K. Coach “leave Grayson alone you meanie butts!” K.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

2 minutes ago, IUrocker said:

I have a feeling since McRoberts made his way back last night, he will start against Northwestern and Al will stay in the starting lineup, leaving Justin on the bench to start. I could see Rob, Al, Romeo, Zach, and Juwan. 

Yeah I am not sure what the starting lineup will be or if it will change at all. But the slow starts to games has got to stop. Every game but the Marquette game and maybe the Montana St. game this team has looked lethargic coming out of the locker room. 

44 minutes ago, IUrocker said:

I have a feeling since McRoberts made his way back last night, he will start against Northwestern and Al will stay in the starting lineup, leaving Justin on the bench to start. I could see Rob, Al, Romeo, Zach, and Juwan. 

It's interesting because right now six of our top seven players are wings or smaller. The players you listed are currently our most effective five IMO. Maybe DeRon gets back into the starting lineup conversation?

18 hours ago, Blackmon_for_3 said:

We have seen 2 mid majors come in to Assembly Hall and play their butts off. There is no excuse for the effort level I have seen from this team. No excuse 

I made a big deal about this after UC Davis. My observation was that the last few games IU's EFFORT seems lack-luster and then last night they looked scared. Like Jr High playing the Varsity, scared.

I am not crushed by losing this game. Duke was coming off a loss, were at home and are simply better than IU. That is a recipe for an "L". I am crushed that IU didn't compete at all. I don't claim to know the cause or solution for this, but I think any objectivity at all leads you see that, so far, they are waaaayy under-performing talent level. 

18 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

I made a big deal about this after UC Davis. My observation was that the last few games IU's EFFORT seems lack-luster and then last night they looked scared. Like Jr High playing the Varsity, scared.

I am not crushed by losing this game. Duke was coming off a loss, were at home and are simply better than IU. That is a recipe for an "L". I am crushed that IU didn't compete at all. I don't claim to know the cause or solution for this, but I think any objectivity at all leads you see that, so far, they are waaaayy under-performing talent level. 

Agree

I would expect that a deeper bench as the team gets healthy will mean a shorter leash for unproductive play. We have yet to see a fully healthy Thompson and Hunter figured to be a rotation player as well. You play with who you have, but it is unreasonable in my opinion to completely discount the toll the injuries have taken on this team. All that said, I'm still pissed with last night's outcome.

6 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I would expect that a deeper bench as the team gets healthy will mean a shorter leash for unproductive play. We have yet to see a fully healthy Thompson and Hunter figured to be a rotation player as well. You play with who you have, but it is unreasonable in my opinion to completely discount the toll the injuries have taken on this team. All that said, I'm still pissed with last night's outcome.

Injuries have been huge. Hunter should be getting Durhams minutes. Several guys arent 100% yet.

On 11/28/2018 at 1:27 AM, Brass Cannon said:

Lol yeah because the **** poor play just started tonight. 

Duke is the favorite for the NC. They have 5 star talent at every position, and the best coach in the league. 

IU is not ranked, has one 5 star, and have huge injury issues. 

We competed with Marquette just fine, but Duke is on a whole other level.

It's just funny to see all the folks expect that we're all of sudden going to be a top 5 team this early in the season with the addition of one 5 star.

On 11/28/2018 at 1:50 AM, Bailey7878 said:

We may lose the next four games. Yeah lets just relax.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

It's not like being a chicken little sky is falling guy is going to help anything. Getting thumped sucks, but at least it was early, on the road, and to arguably the best team in the nation. We'll improve a lot throughout this season, but to expect us to go on the road and beat a top team with the injuries we have, is just silly. 

19 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

Duke is the favorite for the NC. They have 5 star talent at every position, and the best coach in the league. 

IU is not ranked, has one 5 star, and have huge injury issues. 

We competed with Marquette just fine, but Duke is on a whole other level.

It's just funny to see all the folks expect that we're all of sudden going to be a top 5 team this early in the season with the addition of one 5 star.

It's not like being a chicken little sky is falling guy is going to help anything. Getting thumped sucks, but at least it was early, on the road, and to arguably the best team in the nation. We'll improve a lot throughout this season, but to expect us to go on the road and beat a top team with the injuries we have, is just silly. 

Conveniently forgetting we struggled against 2 cupcakes I see

21 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Conveniently forgetting we struggled against 2 cupcakes I see

when you run a 3 guard line up, and you have no guards to sub because of injury, you're going to struggle.

take a look at the minutes played in those two games. Morgan didn't come of the floor at all vs UCD, and Durham (38 min), Phinesee (36), and Langford (39) barely got a rest. 

UTA wasn't that much different, but at least Durham was subbed for Fitzner (who went 0-3).

Until we get guys back, guys are going to get worn out, and this team is going to struggle. It's not rocket science.

5 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

when you run a 3 guard line up, and you have no guards to sub because of injury, you're going to struggle.

take a look at the minutes played in those two games. Morgan didn't come of the floor at all vs UCD, and Durham (38 min), Phinesee (36), and Langford (39) barely got a rest. 

UTA wasn't that much different, but at least Durham was subbed for Fitzner (who went 0-3).

Until we get guys back, guys are going to get worn out, and this team is going to struggle. It's not rocket science.

Look I really like Archie and think he is the guy for the next 20 years.  However, it drove me nuts when Crean apologists constantly grabbed onto anything they could to try to defend the guy.

Fatigue is a poor excuse for us playing terrible in the first half against UC Davis or Duke.  Plus you have plenty of coaches that have been pretty successful running 7-8 man rotations.

I don't think "fatigue" explains away many of our current issues.

18 hours ago, moyemayhem said:

Here's a nice and optimistic article on IU basketball and its fans from a Duke writer.  This thread needs a little positivity...

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2018/11/28/18115815/a-word-for-our-indiana-friends-duke-basketball

That was a wonderful article.  

At least one fan of Duke, which is prominently at the pinnacle of college basketball and has been for a long while, realizes two things: how important Indiana University is to college basketball AND how important college basketball is to the state of Indiana.  

The writer understands the value of Indiana University returning to relevance in college basketball.  While some of Indiana's own fans are (rightfully) tired of waiting for that to come to fruition, it is important to continue to be patient with any new coach.  As this Duke fan surely can recall, it took Coach K a few seasons to bring Duke to where it is today and has been for some time.  Coach K in his first two season at Duke suffered 30 losses compared to the 27 victories.  In Coach K's third year, he improved his record at Duke to 38-47.  It wasn't until Coach K's fourth year at Duke when he finally broke the above-500 mark (62 wins to 57 losses).  It usually takes time, unless you walk into a program like Brad Stevens did where he took over a very stable Butler team that reached the NCAA semi-final game the season before his arrival...and, if I may add, where the transition from Lickliter's coaching style to Steven's coaching style may have been easier for returning players (due to the fact Stevens and Lickliter spent a number of years in the same locker room...even roomed together as assistant coaches at Butler).

I'm not saying Coach Miller will bring Indiana to where it once was in college basketball, but I'm willing to give ANY coach a chance to prove he is.  In the early part of any coach's second season, especially sitting at 5-2, isn't the time to start demanding drastic changes to the staff.