Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

ALLEN thinking of turning over defensive coordinator duties to someone else.

13 minutes ago, TXHoosierDaddy said:

If we aren't willing to pony up any $$$ then we will keep hiring unproven coaches instead of the hot up and comer coach like Brohm. Heck, even Kansas finally ponied up and gave some $$ to Les Miles. Not a home run hire but he does offer some hope and promise. It's amazing that we choose not to devote the necessary resources to getting the right fit here. 

That's my thing. The worst major college football program got a National Championship winning coach. Football is very important too and it's clearly not to our administration. 

So, did any of you happen to catch all the Goose crap that greeted fans in the bleachers on Saturday?  Not to mention I heard there were some FUBAR issues with concessions on Saturday, IU's big rivalry game.  Sorry, Glass can't even manage the smaller aspects of running a football program.  Now the good thing about IU Football.  When 3000 people can't seat in their seats because of Goose crap, they can just move to one of the open 20,000 seats.  I would like to think as a Big Ten program, we could have cleaned feces off of the Stadium seats before our rivalry game, I guess not.  We've invested in facilities, now we need to invest in an A.D who can then hire us a Major College Coach.  OR, maybe the Big Ten will wise up and put IU, Minnesota, Illinois, Maryland and Rutgers in a conference called "Not really B10 caliber" if they did that probably two-three could eek out .500 seasons and get a bowl and bring money into the conference..for once.  Losing to Purdue is never an option, call me old fashioned :92:

Edited by finky

2 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

That's my thing. The worst major college football program got a National Championship winning coach. Football is very important too and it's clearly not to our administration. 

I think we especially have to be willing to match offers for good assistants. If they leave for facilities or prestige fine. Don’t ever let it be as simple as twice the salary. 

35 minutes ago, Joe DeLow said:

Indiana needs an identity. We had one under Wilson. All offense and no defense. Under Allen it is pretend to know defense and be a defensive tram but run a fast no huddle offense. The two don’t match. You have to pick one. And southern speed? Our defense is slower and pond water. It is one of the biggest issues. Slow and weak. IU shouldn’t aim for 6 wins. That’s how you lose. They should be aiming to dethrone Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State. Michigan State can be competed with and passed. Indiana spends the money to actually be good, they will end up making it back 30x.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

There still is a limit on what IU can do right now given its brand name. It's just the way it is. Same reason why Penn State can't build a competitor in basketball even when they're successful immediately with a new hockey program and new wrestling coach. We have nothing to offer that nearly every other school doesn't already have. No accomplished coach would come here because there is no fan support or recruiting footprint, hence why we don't win. Fan support is sparse because we don't win and inturn can't upgrade our coaching staff.

It begins with crafting an identity, but we need to crawl before we can walk. You can't become Ohio State without first becoming Iowa and then Wisconsin. You need support, then sustainability, then success. 

49 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

An interesting column from one of the youngsters over at the IDS. It's pretty much spot-on, IMO. 

https://www.idsnews.com/article/2018/11/column-tom-allen-and-mike-debord-failed-iu-football-this-season

The combined record of the conference teams we beat is only 12-36.  Yeah, teams really have to suck to lose to IU.

12 minutes ago, Joe DeLow said:

We need a coach to build that identity first. Indiana will forever be in an identity crisis under Allen which will cause chaos and failure.

Yep need the foundation first. People forget that Hoeppener was actually starting to do that before he got ill. Allen just doesn't seem like the answer. I'll give him another year if he changes up coordinators otherwise I expect the same next year and then for him to be done as HC. 

1 hour ago, LamarCheeks said:

An interesting column from one of the youngsters over at the IDS. It's pretty much spot-on, IMO. 

https://www.idsnews.com/article/2018/11/column-tom-allen-and-mike-debord-failed-iu-football-this-season

Spot-on. Maryland and Rutgers are the only B1G football programs I'd put below us. At least Illinois has a coach that has had some type of postseason experience in football. What is sad is I think the talent is there. 

11 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Spot-on. Maryland and Rutgers are the only B1G football programs I'd put below us. At least Illinois has a coach that has had some type of postseason experience in football. What is sad is I think the talent is there. 

Maryland was above us as well until this latest issue. Durkin was a hot coaching candidate name and they made a commitment to him. Obviously didn't turn out well. 

Is Allen the answer here? I don't know, but definitely trending in the wrong direction. This team is woefully undisciplined, and we don't have the talent level to overcome bonehead penalty after bonehead penalty. I'm willing to give him one more year but I've seen enough of Debord. 

With that said, I will leave you with my yearly reminder of how historically awful we are: Allen has a winning percentage of .400 in his brief tenure. Over the last 100 years, that would rank him 3rd in school history, behind only Bo McMillin and Coach Mal.

Go Hoosiers!

I've been of the opinion that it will take at least five years for a coach to build any semblance of a foundation here. Allen inherited some talent, but Wilson really underwhelmed with his QB recruiting, which is the lifeblood of the modern game. Tommy Stevens was supposed to be our QB the last three years, not Lagow and Ramsey. Allen's first QB recruit is a talented kid from Florida who can both run and has a strong arm. Penix will be at least a three year starter here. Let's see how he comes back from his injury and handles being the face of the program before writing off the next decade of IU football.

I don't think Allen is necessarily the biggest issue himself. He has been landing talented recruits which does help his case. He does need to turn over DC duties and he needs a new OC. Their are somebig names out their and solid options but they have to get a better OC regardless. Also they have to improve the QB situation. Ramsey has one of the weakest arms I have seen he may be smart but he can't throw the ball down field. Penix might be alright but we can't completely rely on him because injuries do happen.  

11 minutes ago, Magnanimous said:

I've been of the opinion that it will take at least five years for a coach to build any semblance of a foundation here. Allen inherited some talent, but Wilson really underwhelmed with his QB recruiting, which is the lifeblood of the modern game. Tommy Stevens was supposed to be our QB the last three years, not Lagow and Ramsey. Allen's first QB recruit is a talented kid from Florida who can both run and has a strong arm. Penix will be at least a three year starter here. Let's see how he comes back from his injury and handles being the face of the program before writing off the next decade of IU football.

I don't care who the QB is. If the play-caller is still here it will be a problem. However, both a new OC + Penix could be the answer. And Allen turning over DC duties, which I really think he needs to do. If Debord isn't fired this off-season I don't see how this team will be any different next year. 

I want to know what happened to our offensive line. We already knew our defensive line was slow and weak(like consistently looking like preschool boys playing among men). But the offensive line was just super weak this year. Went from having beast RB with massive holes to run through to almost nothing. Is that DeBords fault for only running the ball up the middle or did we just recruit weak linemen?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Didn’t we lose our o-line coach to Michigan a couple of years ago? He did great things here

21 hours ago, Joe DeLow said:

I want to know what happened to our offensive line. We already knew our defensive line was slow and weak(like consistently looking like preschool boys playing among men). But the offensive line was just super weak this year. Went from having beast RB with massive holes to run through to almost nothing. Is that DeBords fault for only running the ball up the middle or did we just recruit weak linemen?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I'm not sure I fully understand what you are saying.  The top rushing back on the team was a true freshman and is currently ranked 21st in the nation in rushing and averaged something like 5 yards a carry.  All other backs were limited in carries.  I wouldn't call the line super weak.  I would agree that the line wasn't what it was when it had two NFL draft picks on the front five during the time both Coleman and Howard were the exclusive backs.  Personally I think the current OL is an average FBS OL. 

In my opinion, I wouldn't count on IU getting a line like they had during the Coleman and Howard days on a consistent basis.  No matter who's the coach.  It'll be nice to have that kind of luxury but IU Football just doesn't get that historically speaking.  It is what it is.

If I had to guess the reason for not having more rushing yards this year I would point to the passing stats.  IU was more of a passing team this year.  They were like 3rd in the conference in passing.  

18 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

If I had to guess the reason for not having more rushing yards this year I would point to the passing stats.  IU was more of a passing team this year.  They were like 3rd in the conference in passing.  

How much of that is due to playing from behind so much?

14 minutes ago, bigrod said:

How much of that is due to playing from behind so much?

I'd love to know how many times we ran it on first down no matter what the score was. Debord ran it up the gut literally every first down all year no matter the score. It was downright laughable how predictable it was.