Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Chicago State - Tues. 11/6 at 6:30 pm ET

It appears we are Deep. We weren’t even close to clicking on offense and still put up staggering numbers.

This type of talent is what I’ve been yearning for. I just hope we can make things click at the right times.

Oh, and Free throw practice for Justin Smith and Romeo in particular.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

3 hours ago, DChoosier said:

Did it fill in?

So far BTN is not showing crowd shots.

Maybe 70%?  Couldn't see East balcony, but kind of disappointing for an opening game

In my opinion you guys are being waaay too hard on DeVonte Green. He can create his own shot with the second unit. He defends well, and with aggression.

He will be a volatile player, but he will be important to the team’s success.

If you stop thinking of him as a potential starting point guard, and start thinking of him as a twenty minute per game energy and scoring option, he looks a lot better.

I can get behind this Stu. I believe we had discussions last year about how he doesn’t really fit well into the roll of PG/Floor General. For all of the flashy passes, and shot creating ball handling, he’s still a guy who will come down and take an immediate 25 footer without ever having looked for a pass. I think him to be far more effective when he does not have primary ball handling responsibility. And really what I should say is primary SCORING responsibility. That’s when things get dicey. Last year he was put in that role and failed routinely. Now, with the scoring depth the team has shown, I think you can bring him off the bench into a much better situation. I do agree that this team needs him. I do want him on the floor when it’s tight.

Devonte can create scoring opportunities

Devonte plays above average defense on guards with quickness.

Also remember, Devonte gets to the line and

Devonte makes free throws.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

So glad to get back into hoops.  Like drinking cold water in the middle of the Sahara Desert in the summer.  

We have a lot of horses.  I really enjoy these guys.  Haven't seen this much talent in Bloomington in a long time.  They seems to play well together, too.  

Nice to see that they're working on all aspects of the game.  Crean's early teams would just try to run these cupcakes out of the gym.  Archie is in full development mode.  The half-court needs work, but that's be expected with so many young players.  They'll be fine, but they have some work to do.  They'll get the reps.  

Overall, this team seems confident, yet humble.  They seem like they're buying in to getting better.  Leadership is there, too.  I'm really excited about the Hoosiers!   

I'm watching this Duke Kentucky game I'm afraid to see what happens to us when we played Duke

Sent from my SM-G950U using BtownBanners mobile app

I agree it could be bad. But it also seemed like UK dug themselves a hole earlier by forcing bad shots and allowing Duke to get going and then the game was over after Duke got hit and stayed hot. Barrett, Williamson, and Reddish are a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I'm going to stick to my guns and say Anderson has a role on this team. His minutes will be hit and miss but I believe he brings an ability not many others do. He's kind of a microwave guy and if he gets the corn a poppin' can really change the energy of a game. I might be wrong but I got a feeling. I understand he has defensive limitations but I'm not sure they are so glaring that they will keep on the bench.

Sent from my Pixel XL using BtownBanners mobile app

10 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

In my opinion you guys are being waaay too hard on DeVonte Green.

He can create his own shot with the second unit. He defends well, and with aggression.

He will be a volatile player, but he will be important to the team’s success.

If you stop thinking of him as a potential starting point guard, and start thinking of him as a twenty minute per game energy and scoring option, he looks a lot better.

I'm not sure "creating his own shot" means much when he doesn't know a good shot from a bad one.  Especially when he's not a particularly good shooter to begin with.

Perspective from Rick Bozich.  

Of course, nobody in the history of Indiana basketball introduced himself with the gusto of Gordon. He put 33 points, six rebounds, four assists, three steals and a block on Chattanooga 11 seasons ago. There's a reason Gordon makes $13.5 million for the Houston Rockets. Langford looked like a guy who will be near that price range one day.

Isiah Thomas didn’t score 33 in his first game at Indiana. Cody Zeller had 16. Before Victor Oladipo became an NBA all-star, he scored five points in his first game for the Hoosiers. George McGinnis had 20 in his (sophomore) IU debut.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/39431568/bozich-or-romeo-langford-delivers-19-in-easy-indiana-win

21 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

I'm not sure "creating his own shot" means much when he doesn't know a good shot from a bad one.  Especially when he's not a particularly good shooter to begin with.

This I have been as hopeful for Green as anybody but nothing really has changed stirring gametime. 

I am glad to read some positives about Green towards the end of this thread... I was holding my tongue (fingers) reading through some of the earlier posts.... I don't know if I am just being stubborn or what but I still see Green as the better option than RP.... 

Green has his moments when I want to choke him (all that dribbling right before the half to get stripped).... but when he comes down dribbles by the defender and pulls up from the elbow I know that shot is going in every single time... his head is always up and looking for a pass (albeit a fancy pass even when it may not be necessary)...

Phinisee is going to be the PG of the future, but i am just not sold on him being the PG of the current.... he still has a lot of work to do in my opinoin

5 minutes ago, Str8Hoosiers said:

I am glad to read some positives about Green towards the end of this thread... I was holding my tongue (fingers) reading through some of the earlier posts.... I don't know if I am just being stubborn or what but I still see Green as the better option than RP.... 

Green has his moments when I want to choke him (all that dribbling right before the half to get stripped).... but when he comes down dribbles by the defender and pulls up from the elbow I know that shot is going in every single time... his head is always up and looking for a pass (albeit a fancy pass even when it may not be necessary)...

Phinisee is going to be the PG of the future, but i am just not sold on him being the PG of the current.... he still has a lot of work to do in my opinoin

I think my main issue with Green is that if he wants to be our PG he’s gotta pass more and shoot less. No reason he should shoot more than Morgan