Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Chicago State - Tues. 11/6 at 6:30 pm ET

Let the games begin.  Televised on the basic BTN channel.  Interesting sidelight to the game -- Chicago State fired its previous coach last spring and didn't hire Lance Irvin until August 7, so he hasn't had a lot of time on the job.

From Archie's presser today:

Miller says it's not easy to game plan for Chicago State because they have lost so many players and have a new staff. "We're going to have to be good at what we do."

Archie Miller says he doesn't think Al Durham or Race Thompson will be available for games this week due to lingering injuries.  Race Thompson, Al Durham unlikely to play vs. Chicago State with injuries.  Might miss Montana State too.  Others are game-time decisions.  Miller calls health issues "a little speed bump" for IU.  Says everyone else — which would presumably include Jerome Hunter, Devonte Green and DeRon Davis —will be game time decisions.

Devonte Green is "back into full go."  Cleared to practice today, and "knock on wood, he'll be available for the game."

Miller said "Damezi (Anderson) is a guy who has to step in and be ready." Said more will be asked of him with Jerome Hunter working his way through injury.

Archie: "We’re a hodge podge when things break down. We’ve got to get organized. Once we get organized, I think we have a chance to take the next step offensively."

From Archie's radio show this evening -

Miller mentions playing "nine, ten, eleven" guys this season. He also said Indiana wants to play up tempo.

Miller says De'Ron Davis was "probably the best he's been" today in practice. Expects him to play on Tuesday.

Miller said Montana State's philosophy is "very similar to Oregon." Mentions the Bobcats play a lot of matchup zone.

Based on injury situation, Miller said it would tough to redshirt someone this year.

Miller says Justin Smith is in "a lot better physical condition" than he was last season as a freshman.

Miller says that Rob Phinisee and Devonte Green will play together this season.

Archie Miller says Evan Fitzner might be Indiana's best free throw shooter based on percentages in practice.

I’ll just say I’m really glad we’re getting this game out of the way immediately. Chicago State is the worst team in D1 and I don’t think any team will challenge them for that 

2 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

From Archie's radio show this evening -

Miller mentions playing "nine, ten, eleven" guys this season. He also said Indiana wants to play up tempo.

Miller says De'Ron Davis was "probably the best he's been" today in practice. Expects him to play on Tuesday.

Miller said Montana State's philosophy is "very similar to Oregon." Mentions the Bobcats play a lot of matchup zone.

Based on injury situation, Miller said it would tough to redshirt someone this year.

Miller says Justin Smith is in "a lot better physical condition" than he was last season as a freshman.

Miller says that Rob Phinisee and Devonte Green will play together this season.

Archie Miller says Evan Fitzner might be Indiana's best free throw shooter based on percentages in practice.

I think the number 1 thing I love about Archie is that he is always wanting to get better. Most coaches don't pay attention to the little stuff but I like that he is concerned about some things. 

22 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

That's a purty good hype video right there! Anyway, I have cleared the schedule, informed the wife that I will be unavailable starting at 6:30 this evening!

That's a purty good hype video right there! Anyway, I have cleared the schedule, informed the wife that I will be unavailable starting at 6:30 this evening!

The social media presence has been much better recently, that’s for sure. I got the baby as the wife gets a manicure with her mom, but the beer will be in the cooler from 5:30 throughout the night

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I didn't know anything about Lance Irvin, Chicago State's head coach.  Long read, but really interesting- I wish this guy all the luck (except tonight, lol)

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-spt-lance-irvin-chicago-state-family-20181031-story.html 

12 minutes ago, JHoosier914 said:

I agree. It’s basically a second (third?) exhibition game. The second half SHOULD be largely roster manipulation and a glorified practice.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

At the media availability yesterday, Juwan singled out CM as having had a great practice week.

That + injuries = playing time.

54 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

At the media availability yesterday, Juwan singled out CM as having had a great practice week.

That + injuries = playing time.

I think that is how this season is going to be. Whoever steps up in practice that week is going to play. One week it may be Clifton and the next it could be Jake. It is a good problem to have. 

Does anyone know how much parking costs around Assembly Hall this year?  I'm going to be pushing it to get there and won't have time to scope out a free lot