Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs U of Southern Indiana (Exhibition) - Thurs., 11/1

I had a blast at AH tonight! All the freshmen who played looked legit. Romeo looks as special as advertised. Rob is smooth and spends a lot of time in the air around the basket, which pays dividends. Damezi can flat out shoot.

Justin Smith is terrifying, and Juwan is still Juwan.

Awesome time last night at the game! A few thoughts from being at the game:

1) I thought the student section was great for an exhibition game. I hope this year they show up like that for every game. 

2) This team has depth-as we already knew. Devonte and Al were banged up but Rob and Damezi stepped up! This team has so many lineups that they can use. 

3) If McRoberts can consitently hit two or three three pointers a game this team is going to have even more options offensively. 

4) Romeo can play some defense..that was his "weakness"

5) Really wanted to see Jerome play. Hope it is just a minor injury. 

6) If Rob Phinisee plays even close to this level during the regular season he will be your starting PG. I still think Devonte will be starting but that all depends on how long he is out. But he is on a short leash. 

Yes it is only an exhibition game but I saw a lot of positives. I hope this is a special year on the horizon. 

Awesome time last night at the game! A few thoughts from being at the game:

1) I thought the student section was great for an exhibition game. I hope this year they show up like that for every game. 

2) This team has depth-as we already knew. Devonte and Al were banged up but Rob and Damezi stepped up! This team has so many lineups that they can use. 

3) If McRoberts can consitently hit two or three three pointers a game this team is going to have even more options offensively. 

4) Romeo can play some defense..that was his "weakness"

5) Really wanted to see Jerome play. Hope it is just a minor injury. 

6) If Rob Phinisee plays even close to this level during the regular season he will be your starting PG. I still think Devonte will be starting but that all depends on how long he is out. But he is on a short leash. 

Yes it is only an exhibition game but I saw a lot of positives. I hope this is a special year on the horizon. 

I don't think Devonte is ever starting again (unless Rob is banged up). Rob is our next Yogi folks and is a 4 year floor leader. Starting Green over Rob would be like starting Peyton Ramsey over Michael Penix for the simple fact he has more experience....and we know how that's playing out.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

9 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

Y'all are gonna' love Rob Phinisee.  I've been on his bandwagon for a few years now; and he'll ultimately be at least as important as a recruit as Romeo was.   You ain't seen nothin' yet.

Yes you have. And while you routinely have some strong opinions, anyone would be hard-pressed to call you a sunshine pumper!

No one really argued or disagreed with you, but most (myself included) were more of the mindset of "I hope you're right." No one jumped in with all ten toes to the extent you did. 

Old Friend..."I hope you're right" has now morphed into "Sure looks like it's real."

Kudos, and man o man that is some good news.

2 hours ago, jbell833 said:

I don't think Devonte is ever starting again (unless Rob is banged up). Rob is our next Yogi folks and is a 4 year floor leader. Starting Green over Rob would be like starting Peyton Ramsey over Michael Penix for the simple fact he has more experience....and we know how that's playing out.

The difference here is that Phinisee looked good when he got a chance, while Penix did not. 

Yes you have. And while you routinely have some strong opinions, anyone would be hard-pressed to call you a sunshine pumper!
No one really argued or disagreed with you, but most (myself included) were more of the mindset of "I hope you're right." No one jumped in with all ten toes to the extent you did. 
Old Friend..."I hope you're right" has now morphed into "Sure looks like it's real."
Kudos, and man o man that is some good news.

Couple others did as well Old Fart being one of them. Dig up RPs old thread and go to right before he committed. Fun stuff to go look back at. Kid is a winner. Leading his team to the state finals as a sophomore was when he got my attention.

9 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Couple others did as well Old Fart being one of them. Dig up RPs old thread and go to right before he committed. Fun stuff to go look back at. Kid is a winner. Leading his team to the state finals as a sophomore was when he got my attention.

I think OF has been beating that drum for 3 years or so and has never wavered. 

May this point I think you gotta run with RP unless Devonte really has taken a leap forward. 

36 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Patience and context, y'all: 

For me?

• Damezi's is a good shooter, but his game last night was likely fool's gold. 
  • While it was good to see DeRon out there, I kinda think that Race Thompson will be our primary backup at the 5 spot.

Agreed, except I think Fitzner will be our “5” backup, with Race getting spot minutes. Could change depending on play

After last night:

My current opinion of likely rotation players:

1. Juwan
  2. Romeo
  3. McBob
  4. Justin
  5. Rob
  6. DeVonte
  7. Al
  8. Fitz
  9. Race
  10. Jerome

That leaves Damezi, DeRon, Jake,, and Clifton as staying on the bench most nights.