Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ThompsonHoosier

Indiana @ Minnesota Game Thread 10/26 8:00PM ET FS1

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Lagow, Ramsey and Penix have all looked bad under him. Lagow went from 7.7 YPA under Wilson to 6.6 YPA under DeBord. All three quarterbacks have had low ypa's under DeBord, because he has a conservative approach and refuses to take anything resembling a risk. He lost the game for us last night with his three straight run plays. His actions really are indefensible. I don't know how you can run in here week after week and defend the guy. Basically every other IU fan realizes he sucks, regardless of which side they fall on the Ramsey debate. 

We've seen the exact same offense moving, go vanilla routine multiple times.  OldFriend can be a valuable poster, but at this point it's clear he'll be beating that same drum when DeBord is out of coaching (again).

I’ve watched every game this season. And it’s well.... Indiana Football.

I will root for them for eternity but my expectations are always in check.

I like Tom Allen, the man. The coach, I’m not so sure.

Love Indiana sports for entertainment, even football.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

55 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

We've seen the exact same offense moving, go vanilla routine multiple times.  OldFriend can be a valuable poster, but at this point it's clear he'll be beating that same drum when DeBord is out of coaching (again).

I want to know how many conference games we have to lose by playing it safe at the end before the staff decides to try a different approach. 

10 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I want to know how many conference games we have to lose by playing it safe at the end before the staff decides to try a different approach. 

It's crazy how predictable we are on offense.  I can almost call out each play depending on field position and score.  I'm sure defensive coordinators who study film get a kick out of it.

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

What different approach would you like to try?   Teams can stack the box and limit our running game because our QB is inconsistent and doesn't have a good arm.   I still don't understand what you believe our options are.   Debord can't make play calls to press the ball upfield because the QB can't make those throws.  He's limited by his personnel.

1 hour ago, JSHoosier said:

You guys saw a different Penix than I did.

17 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

What different approach would you like to try?   Teams can stack the box and limit our running game because our QB is inconsistent and doesn't have a good arm.   I still don't understand what you believe our options are.   Debord can't make play calls to press the ball upfield because the QB can't make those throws.  He's limited by his personnel.

Did you close your eyes on his 43 and 37 yard touchdown passes in the fourth quarter? Enough excuses for DeBord, man. He's limited by his own abilities, not everyone else's. 

Ramsey had a bad game last night. His first three quarters were terrible. But, he was pretty good in the fourth quarter. 13 straight completions and 22 unanswered points. He did what many people have said he can't do and led a comeback. We had all the momentum and DeBord threw it away with three straight runs up the gut.

10 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Did you close your eyes on his 43 and 37 yard touchdown passes in the fourth quarter? Enough excuses for DeBord, man. He's limited by his own abilities, not everyone else's. 

Ramsey had a bad game last night. His first three quarters were terrible. But, he was pretty good in the fourth quarter. 13 straight completions and 22 unanswered points. He did what many people have said he can't do and led a comeback. We had all the momentum and DeBord threw it away with three straight runs up the gut.

To be fair, that second TD pass was a bit under thrown and the receiver had enough space to adjust.  The first one though was right on money.

13 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

To be fair, that second TD pass was a bit under thrown and the receiver had enough space to adjust.  The first one though was right on money.

I agree, but the pass did still get there. My overall point though is that the staff had no choice but to open the playbook up because we were down so much, and when they did good things happened. We didn't look limited in the 4th quarter, until we weren't down anymore and they closed the playbook back up. Week after week I'm less and less impressed by the staff. But, that's what you get when the AD doesn't even do a search. 

4 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I agree, but the pass did still get there. My overall point though is that the staff had no choice but to open the playbook up because we were down so much, and when they did good things happened. We didn't look limited in the 4th quarter, until we weren't down anymore and they closed the playbook back up. Week after week I'm less and less impressed by the staff. But, that's what you get when the AD doesn't even do a search. 

Yeah, we've seen the offense can move the ball even with Ramsey's limitations.

43 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Yeah, we've seen the offense can move the ball even with Ramsey's limitations.

Depends on the defense and coverages.   Ramsey is so inconsistent in his ability to get the ball down the field; and he simply can't hit tight windows.  He has to either check down, hit a guy in a hole in a zone, or throw it high and let a receiver go get it.   

Granted, there are other problems mostly with Allen and I completely get that, but like last season, teams have begun to defend Indiana differently and we can't move it consistently.  

8 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

Depends on the defense and coverages.   Ramsey is so inconsistent in his ability to get the ball down the field; and he simply can't hit tight windows.  He has to either check down, hit a guy in a hole in a zone, or throw it high and let a receiver go get it.   

Granted, there are other problems mostly with Allen and I completely get that, but like last season, teams have begun to defend Indiana differently and we can't move it consistently.  

We moved it to the tune of 22 unanswered points in the fourth quarter last night. What's with the complete devotion to your boy DeBord?

5 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

He made one good throw and the other was underthrown.   You had to see that, right?  Seriously....did you watch the game??   You're focusing on one throw....he was awful in the 1st half and at one point was averaging 2.9 yards per attempt.  That's pathetic.  Junior high school bad.   And I've never said he can't make even a single throw.  He can, but any QB can loft a ball 40 yards.  Yep.  That one was a great throw.  But that's one, and it had a significant parabola. (Word of the day)   What about the awful ones?  

You don't understand the RPO if you think DeBord called 3 runs up the gut.  Those are on Ramsey.  "run/pass option."  Ramsey can either hand it off, keep it and run it,. or pull it and throw it.   DeBord, and any OC who calls that play leaves the decision in the hands of his quarterback.  Ramsey ,makes the wrong read consistently.  And did yesterday.   Your blame is misplaced if you believe the play calls were "3 straight up the gut."  The receivers were running routes...not blocking.  If the plays were called as straight running plays, they'd have been blocking.  

He led a comeback when Minnesota backed off defensively.  You've seen that happen at every level many times.  Team gets a lead and sits on it.   Same thing yesterday.  And look, he's the QB.  I get it.   But I don't like blaming DeBord because it's just not realistic to think an offensive coordinator who was the coach whose offense set a season record at Tennessee just 2 years ago has forgotten how to coach.  And yes, I know what talent he had; but if you go back and look through the Tennessee record book, you'll see some names you recognize; and his team beat all of them.   Including those of a national champion and those of some guy named Peyton Manning.   

3 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

We moved it to the tune of 22 unanswered points in the fourth quarter last night. What's with the complete devotion to your boy DeBord?

It's not devotion.  It's education.   (But maybe similar to your complete devotion to Ramsey?)  Do you think UM was playing the same defense in the 4th quarter with a 31-9 lead they had been the first 3 quarters?   They weren't.  And their turnovers helped.  The complete truth is pretty important, here.

At the end of the day, Allen needs to recruit better skill players including quarterbacks.  The whole offense is limited, and we're wasting Westbrook.

42 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

He made one good throw and the other was underthrown.   You had to see that, right?  Seriously....did you watch the game??   You're focusing on one throw....he was awful in the 1st half and at one point was averaging 2.9 yards per attempt.  That's pathetic.  Junior high school bad.   And I've never said he can't make even a single throw.  He can, but any QB can loft a ball 40 yards.  Yep.  That one was a great throw.  But that's one, and it had a significant parabola. (Word of the day)   What about the awful ones?  

You don't understand the RPO if you think DeBord called 3 runs up the gut.  Those are on Ramsey.  "run/pass option."  Ramsey can either hand it off, keep it and run it,. or pull it and throw it.   DeBord, and any OC who calls that play leaves the decision in the hands of his quarterback.  Ramsey ,makes the wrong read consistently.  And did yesterday.   Your blame is misplaced if you believe the play calls were "3 straight up the gut."  The receivers were running routes...not blocking.  If the plays were called as straight running plays, they'd have been blocking.  

He led a comeback when Minnesota backed off defensively.  You've seen that happen at every level many times.  Team gets a lead and sits on it.   Same thing yesterday.  And look, he's the QB.  I get it.   But I don't like blaming DeBord because it's just not realistic to think an offensive coordinator who was the coach whose offense set a season record at Tennessee just 2 years ago has forgotten how to coach.  And yes, I know what talent he had; but if you go back and look through the Tennessee record book, you'll see some names you recognize; and his team beat all of them.   Including those of a national champion and those of some guy named Peyton Manning.   

Is one of your defenses for DeBord really that he continues to call a play that Ramsey consistently makes the wrong decision on? Like, if your quarterback can't make the right decision you'd think the OC would stop calling it...

Go back and look at what the Tennessee fans had to say when he left. If they thought he was some kind of offensive guru then they would've been sad to see him go.. They weren't.