Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

#IUMS - 2018 B1G Regular Season Champs!

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

Just to specify we are already guaranteed to share the title a tie or win the next 2 games guarantees it outright for us. 

You can also throw in that we win the title outright if Wisconsin loses or ties either of their last 2 matchups.

We still have Rennicks and Dorsey for now. We will miss them for the Big Ten tourney (and maybe our first NCAA tourney game depending on if team advances and US squad keeps them after potential roster change halfway through). 

I am not liking our Big Ten Tourney match ups potentially as we are pretty much guaranteed NW or OSU in first game. OSU would be fine but NW without Rennicks and Dorsey’s speed and skills to dribble through and around there parked bus has potential disaster written all over it for a 0-0 tie with PK’s. Next round would be almost certainly Michigan or Maryland. Again Michigan would be fine but taking on Maryland’s talent on a neutral field here in Indy without Rennicks and Dorsey is scary and could be a loss. With all that said Palazzolo and Glass are only a slight drop off and would start on any other team in country almost.

Anyways that is in the future. Tonight with a full roster and a terrible team we need to make sure we put them to bed early and not take a loss or tie that could very well cost us home field throughout the NCAA tourney.

First 28 minutes I am not sure I have seen us play a worse game this year or any year recently given how terrible OSU is. Basically OSU came out with a heavy press (ala Shaka Smart at VCU) trying to steal the ball every time we got it and we looked shocked. They never got a good chance but got way more possession than they should of as a result.

Than finally in 28th minute we broke through on maybe our second good opportunity off game with Glass serving a ball from just outside the left side of box right onto Gutman’s head in front of the goal who tucked it home (this is how we will have to score with Rennicks and Dorsey gone). After the goal OSU looked to have their soles broken as we dominated the rest of the half and were getting lots of good looks but didn’t finish and completely dominated last 17 minutes. Would like one or 2 more to put this away now.

It’s kind of interesting having opposing teams announcers for the first time this year for me with the OSU students doing it (Rutgers no sound, was at ND and Eville and others were neutral announcers on either BTN, SEC or ACC Network) instead of our guys for the home matches. They are not bad and giving IU their due although I like our guys better.

7 minutes ago, LIHoosier said:

Wow, BTN Minus still has 4 minutes left and the ref is using VAR. College soccer has VAR and the Premier League doesn't?!?

I think your feed stopped being live by mistake and reverted a few min. behind since mine finished 10 min. ago live. I have done that by mistake before.

1 minute ago, LIHoosier said:

And its all yours for $10/month!!!

I get its not for everyone and I don't expect most to buy but I have had no issues with it and watching it on Roku on my big screen TV it is picture clear and looks basically the same as a TV broadcast.

Not a great game by us but we got it done and at least got the goal early this time so we didn’t have to press late. We should have had a second goal a couple times late with a Gutman shot saved off a corner kick. Then the really frustrating one was with about 2 minutes left where we had a breakaway on a counter and Palo had a shot right in front of goal point blank against the goalie and pulled it wide. That did not matter tonight but with him taking Rennicks spot up top in Big Ten Tourney he’s got to be more dynamic. Right now he only knows how to score on a serve to him but has a real hard time creating on his own which could be an issue.

I also noticed even though IU had Dorsey and Rennicks tonight they didn’t try any speedy counter attacks with them like they usually do and sort of wrote them out of the game plan somewhat so team can get used to playing without them for Big Ten Tourney. OSU though had only one good chance all night and it came from the edge of the box in front of the goal about halfway through the second half forcing Muse into a diving save. Otherwise our D was spotless. Overall our D has looked much like last year since the UK game allowing very few chances at all. At the same time our O has cooled off ever so slightly but we are getting W’s so no harm as long as we pick it up playing better competition soon.

That better competition starts with MSU Sunday led by their goalie Jimmy Hague. Along with Muse and St. Clair for Maryland these are undoubtedly the best goalies in conference and among the top 5-10 in country. We are prone to average goalies making amazing saves against us so when we face a great one it’s even more difficult. OSU had 2 of those tonight and Rutger’s guy had maybe a half dozen. Also going further back I remember Hague making a couple in Elite 8 before we finally equalized. We still have Dorsey and Rennicks Sunday and a win gives us our first unblemished Big Ten season with no ties since 2002. MSU is also really good on D and O with a healthy 28-13 goal differential and easily the third most talented team in league after IU and Maryland. We need to bring it better than the last 2 or we will end up with a tie or loss but given we tend to play to our competition I am sure we will be up to the challenge.

Looking farther forward after tonight I am not sure if I want OSU’s press or NW’s parked bus in first round of Big Ten tourney but given we won’t have Rennicks or Dorsey I think I’ll take OSU’s press particularly at home. Fortunately both NW and OSU have to play each other the day before for right to play us so whoever we get will be exhausted.