Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
mamasa

WBB starting 5

Pretty excited for this year's team (first game is Nov. 2).  Running through the roster, I'm curious to know who you think will start (all 10 of you that ever look at these topics, lol). It's tough to say, since there is so little information available about player progression in the offseason.  My first inclination is Royster (F),Wise (F), Marchese (C), Yeaney (G), and Patberg (G).  However, I could easily see Penn (G) getting the start, if she has progressed well.  Anyone else?  

59 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I think

Patberg
Penn
Yeaney
Wise
Royster.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

That would work for me!  I think that this year's team will be more complete, in the traditional sense.  We have a lot of weapons.

That would work for me!  I think that this year's team will be more complete, in the traditional sense.  We have a lot of weapons.

We sure do. Patberg is the one for me that it depends on her effectiveness post injury. I’d say the other 4 are gimmies. Penn start every game last season.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

16 minutes ago, mamasa said:

I feel much more comfortable with our bench this year than last. Berger is a 5*

Agree, our 5 starters last year played an incredible % of the minutes and amazed they could make the run to the NIT championship. 

9 hours ago, mjhoosier said:

I think Aleska Gulbe will see significant time. She played very well against good international competition this summer. May not start but will be good off the bench.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Very excited to see how she adjusts to B1G competition.  

I'm just wondering if moren is going to give any bench players significant minutes. She never has in the past, always citing a short bench. This year will be interesting to say the least.

IUwbb starting 5

Patberg, Penn, Yeaney, wise, royster

Next few will be Marchese, Berger, gulbe

Doubt the rest will see significant time

40 minutes ago, Hoosierfan31 said:

I'm just wondering if moren is going to give any bench players significant minutes. She never has in the past, always citing a short bench. This year will be interesting to say the least.

IUwbb starting 5

Patberg, Penn, Yeaney, wise, royster

Next few will be Marchese, Berger, gulbe

Doubt the rest will see significant time

But isn't an 8 or 9 player rotation pretty much the norm in women's bball?  Other than UConn and a few others, most teams aren't going to be loaded with talent to use virtually their entire roster.   

7 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

But isn't an 8 or 9 player rotation pretty much the norm in women's bball?  Other than UConn and a few others, most teams aren't going to be loaded with talent to use virtually their entire roster.   

Even UConn only plays about an 8 or 9 (or less)woman rotation most years

23 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Absolutely.. but we havent been known to distribute many total minutes to be had by the bench. A player like Berger is going to be unhappy playing >10 minutes per game. Her minutes are going to come from yeaney or penn. We have never had 2+ solid subs to give us 15-20 minutes off the bench each and that's something other teams have. We also have been lucky pretty much never having a major injury thats not going to last forever.

Our subs have typically played for really short disjointed amounts of time which doesnt allow them to really establish any kind of rhythm, making the bench appear "weak" "inexperienced" "not producing"

It will be a huge step for the program if moren is able to get production from one or two bench players. We need to keep getting better because the rest of the big 10 is constantly improving.