Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
ccgeneral

2019 IU Baseball Schedule

@IndianaBase: We have made some updates to our 2019 Schedule.

Coastal Tournament opponents will be Northeastern, UConn and Coastal Carolina.

Safeco Field opponents will be Washington, Oregon State and San Diego.

We will play a doubleheader at Evansville on April 13.

5 hours ago, ccgeneral said:

@IndianaBase: We have made some updates to our 2019 Schedule.

Coastal Tournament opponents will be Northeastern, UConn and Coastal Carolina.

Safeco Field opponents will be Washington, Oregon State and San Diego.

We will play a doubleheader at Evansville on April 13.

Per the baseball schedule on the IU athletics website only the Friday game is in Evansville. The Saturday DH and Sunday is in Bloomington. Also the Butler game moved to Bloomington per the schedule:

https://iuhoosiers.com/schedule.aspx?path=baseball

@Matt_Cohen_: The second game for #iubase against Ball State is going to be played at Victory Field in Indianapolis. The game will be on Tuesday, April 23. No time is announced yet. IU played at Victory Field last year against Notre Dame. @iubase17 first picked up the change. @IUSTVsports

@PGCollegeBall: The 2019 Perfect Game College Baseball preview content has officially kicked off with the release of the Preseason All-America Teams - https://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=16006

2nd team - Matt Gorski

3rd team - Matt Lloyd

Picked to win the B1G here.

@CB_Daily: 2019 College Baseball Daily Season Preview and Predictions: Big Ten http://www.collegebaseballdaily.com/2019/01/09/2019-college-baseball-daily-season-preview-and-predictions-big-ten/

Indiana (2018 Record: 40-19, 14-9)

It was another great year for Indiana as they continue to be one of the best programs in the Big Ten. They won 40 games and finished fifth in the Big Ten. Because of a solid out-of-conference schedule, they still made the postseason despite going 1-2 in the Big Ten Tournament.

Returning Players

Outfielder Logan Kaletha should be back atop the lineup after hitting .261 last year with 60 runs scored, 11 doubles, 8 home runs, 31 RBI, and 14 stolen bases. First baseman Matt Lloyd hit .275 a season ago with 36 runs scored, 15 doubles, 9 home runs, and 41 RBI. Outfielder Matt Gorski led the team with a .356 average last year to go along with 41 runs scored, 14 doubles, 8 home runs, 40 RBI, and 24 stolen bases. Ryan Fineman should be back behind the plate after hitting .284 in 2018 with 7 home runs and 37 RBI. DH Scotty Bradley could take on a bigger role in the lineup this year after hitting .326 in limited playing time last season.

Pauly Milto will lead the weekend rotation after posting a 2.03 ERA last year in 79.2 innings pitched with 66 strikeouts. Cam Beauchamp made 10 starts last season and had a 3.78 ERA in 52.1 innings pitched with 43 strikeouts. Cal Krueger was great out of the bullpen last season with a 3.02 ERA in 44.2 innings with 49 strikeouts and 3 saves.

Outlook for 2019

The Hoosiers lose some big boppers from the lineup in Luke Miller and Logan Sowers, but there is plenty coming back. They also lose a lot of innings with Jonathan Stiever and Tim Herrin gone, but again, they have enough talent in the pitching staff to replace those guys.

Yup will definitely be the favorites again and hopefully now with a new coaching staff that can develop talent better we can repeat last years success if not exceed it. We can thank Lemonis' inability to develop talent or otherwise this would be a rebuilding year with a most of the core drafted last year. I think we finally get the potential out of Lloyd and Fineman with this new staff that has been missing and reach our ceiling.  

Like soccer though lots of seniors so will be a bit of a rebuild after this year but this season should be special with hopefully a Big Ten Title and maybe hosting a regional. Excited for the future and the new coach.

@PGCollegeBall: The 2019 @PerfectGameUSA Preseason College Top 25 has been released led by No. 1 @LSUbaseball - https://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=16007

Noteables:

2 - Oregon State

8 - Louisville

19 - Michigan

20 - UCONN

25 - Coastal Carolina

I had the opportunity to listen to Coach Mercer speak when my son attended a prospect camp in Bloomington earlier this month and there's no way you could walk away from that without thinking the baseball program is in great hands. I also got the feeling that as a local boy, he doesn't see this job as a stepping stone to something bigger, but rather came in with a vision to make Indiana Baseball something bigger. I could be proven wrong if, say, LSU or Texas comes calling in a few years, but I didn't get that sense at all.

1 hour ago, jgross68 said:

I had the opportunity to listen to Coach Mercer speak when my son attended a prospect camp in Bloomington earlier this month and there's no way you could walk away from that without thinking the baseball program is in great hands. I also got the feeling that as a local boy, he doesn't see this job as a stepping stone to something bigger, but rather came in with a vision to make Indiana Baseball something bigger. I could be proven wrong if, say, LSU or Texas comes calling in a few years, but I didn't get that sense at all.

As I have said before I strongly believe MSU did us a favor by taking Lemonis and are in exactly the same scenario as Butler when Iowa plucked a decent but mediocre Todd Lickliter for a guy named Brad Stevens and went to next level and from good to great.