Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

KDB

IU vs MSU: 9/22 7:30PM BTN

8 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

He is inaccurate beyond 10 yards.  He overthrew receivers.  Yep.  He did.  Open ones.   He can throw it 35 yards or so, but he can't do so accurately.  Any objective viewer can easily see his limitations.  You watched the game, right?   I think it's funny that throwing an accurate ball 15 yards down field is an idea of his ability to throw the ball down the field.   DeBord is doing what he has to do with Ramsey.  When have we seen him get the ball down field with any accuracy?  Seriously...when?   And 15 yards barely counts.   I know of maybe 2 throws this season.  In 4 games.   He had a QBR of 28.5 yesterday.  Well below average.

Yesterday, we showed again a limited playbook specifically because Ramsey can't stretch the defense.  Everything was in front, and they were not going to allow us to run between the tackles.   They took everything away in the running game, and forced lateral plays relying on our speed.  Until they dropped into a softer zone late which allowed Philyor's long TD, Ramsey was averaging less than 5.2 yards per attempt and finished 5.9.  That's HORRIBLE.  (Lewerke averaged 8.5)   People have to be objective about him and understand teams like MSU can just take away the run game and they can say "same old IU" all they want to; but the biggest reason we struggled yesterday was our offense simply had no ability to get chunk plays without YAC.   That made it a grind it out kind of game when we couldn't make mistakes.   Well...we made mistakes and took away any chance we had to let our defense win it.   

Anyone blaming DeBord or play calling is simply taking the easy road.  Blaming the coaches always is.  DeBord set offensive records at Tennessee. You think he forgot how to call plays???  Seriously?   Or just maybe, that ability is limited right now.  Yeah, 2017, he made one good throw to Philyor against a soft zone when Philyor was wide open.  Talk to me about the throws he consistently misses.

Out of curiosity what records did debord set at Tenn?

4 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

School record for points and TDs.  Granted he had Josh Dobbs and Alvin Kamara.

Fair enough. He ranked 40th and 52nd in total offense though. So not sure he was exactly tearing it up. Perhaps getting help from defense and special teams?

18 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

Anyone blaming DeBord or play calling is simply taking the easy road.  Blaming the coaches always is.  DeBord set offensive records at Tennessee. You think he forgot how to call plays???  Seriously?   Or just maybe, that ability is limited right now.  Yeah, 2017, he made one good throw to Philyor against a soft zone when Philyor was wide open.  Talk to me about the throws he consistently misses.

My opinion on this is limited since I wasn't able to watch the game yesterday.  However, this post seems very hypocritical to me.  We can't blame the coaches for poor play but we can give them the credit for good play?  Huh?

24 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

He is inaccurate beyond 10 yards.  He overthrew receivers.  Yep.  He did.  Open ones.   He can throw it 35 yards or so, but he can't do so accurately.  Any objective viewer can easily see his limitations.  You watched the game, right?   I think it's funny that throwing an accurate ball 15 yards down field is an idea of his ability to throw the ball down the field.   DeBord is doing what he has to do with Ramsey.  When have we seen him get the ball down field with any accuracy?  Seriously...when?   And 15 yards barely counts.   I know of maybe 2 throws this season.  In 4 games.   He had a QBR of 28.5 yesterday.  Well below average.

Yesterday, we showed again a limited playbook specifically because Ramsey can't stretch the defense.  Everything was in front, and they were not going to allow us to run between the tackles.   They took everything away in the running game, and forced lateral plays relying on our speed.  Until they dropped into a softer zone late which allowed Philyor's long TD, Ramsey was averaging less than 5.2 yards per attempt and finished 5.9.  That's HORRIBLE.  (Lewerke averaged 8.5)   People have to be objective about him and understand teams like MSU can just take away the run game and they can say "same old IU" all they want to; but the biggest reason we struggled yesterday was our offense simply had no ability to get chunk plays without YAC.   That made it a grind it out kind of game when we couldn't make mistakes.   Well...we made mistakes and took away any chance we had to let our defense win it.   

I couldn't care less what he did at Tennessee. He had an NFL quarterback and an NFL running back leading his offense. Kamara is a stud in the NFL already. 1554 total yards and 13 touchdowns last year as a rookie. No wonder his offense looked good with them in charge. He's not going to get that at Indiana very often.

Crean looked pretty good when he had Cody Zeller and Victor Oladipo running his team. Doesn't mean he was a good coach. DeBord has done a poor job as offensive coordinator at Indiana. That's really the bottom line. His past 'accomplishments' don't mean squat if he doesn't get the job done here. 

2 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Out of curiosity what records did debord set at Tenn?

https://www.seccountry.com/tennessee/debord-leaving

Pretty simple Google search unless you don't want to find it.   Do people think he forgot how to coach?   Or perhaps there's a reason he calls the plays he does?   Call me crazy.   Same few guys every week can't seem to see what's kinda obvious.

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I couldn't care less what he did at Tennessee. He had an NFL quarterback and an NFL running back leading his offense. Kamara is a stud in the NFL already. 1554 total yards and 13 touchdowns last year as a rookie. No wonder his offense looked good with them in charge. He's not going to get that at Indiana very often.

Crean looked pretty good when he had Cody Zeller and Victor Oladipo running his team. Doesn't mean he was a good coach. DeBord has done a poor job as offensive coordinator at Indiana. That's really the bottom line. His past 'accomplishments' don't mean squat if he doesn't get the job done here. 

Actually, Crean didn't.   Which is where you and I differ.  

His past accomplishments DO matter.  Like everyone's resume matters.   You're blaming him, but that's easy because you don't want to break from your narrative.   DeBord is very limited in the plays he can call with Ramsey.  That's just a fact, man.    Get him a real QB, and then we can have the discussion; but until he has tools to do his job; he can't be judged....unless it's unfairly.  Yeah, he had better tools at Tennessee; but you cannot watch Ramsey and objectively tell me you think we should call different plays, especially down the field.   You were lauding his completion % and efficiency for 3 weeks...DeBord called those plays.   But now, just as I've told you, when defenses are able to take away what we like to do?   Ramsey's not very good.   You saw the game yesterday same as I did.  That's not on DeBord.  

7 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

40th in the country and yet set a team record. Seems odd to say the least. But one good year. And I’m gonna stress good not great. Does not make him a good OC

You wanna' go back and look at some of the players who have been through Tennessee's program and tell me again how one record setting year doesn't matter?    I really would love to hear - seriously - how it's DeBord's fault when Ramsey makes the check with me and RPO calls at the line of scrimmage; and when he can't call plays that stretch the field.    Seriously.  Hit me.

14 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

Actually, Crean didn't.   Which is where you and I differ.  

His past accomplishments DO matter.  Like everyone's resume matters.   You're blaming him, but that's easy because you don't want to break from your narrative.   DeBord is very limited in the plays he can call with Ramsey.  That's just a fact, man.    Get him a real QB, and then we can have the discussion; but until he has tools to do his job; he can't be judged....unless it's unfairly.  Yeah, he had better tools at Tennessee; but you cannot watch Ramsey and objectively tell me you think we should call different plays, especially down the field.   You were lauding his completion % and efficiency for 3 weeks...DeBord called those plays.   But now, just as I've told you, when defenses are able to take away what we like to do?   Ramsey's not very good.   You saw the game yesterday same as I did.  That's not on DeBord.  

I don't have a narrative. I like Ramsey as a player, but more importantly I like to win. I think opening up the offense will give us a better chance to do so. Honestly, what's the worst thing that could happen if we tried?

You say that DeBord is very limited by what he can do with Ramsey, but where's the evidence? We've seen him make some throws downfield. He had a beautiful one last night for a 65 yard touchdown. He overthrew a few receivers on deep balls last night. What's the harm in expanding the offense and letting Ramsey throw 15-20 yard passes? If we lose, big deal. I would rather lose taking shots downfield than lose playing conservatively. 

Ramsey had a mediocre game last night. He made some bad decisions, and the unlucky pick 6 really blew open the game. But you also have to consider the offensive line last night. They were putrid. Ramsey had little time to pass, and he wasn't getting any help from the running game. He still completed 70% of his passes though. 

17 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

You wanna' go back and look at some of the players who have been through Tennessee's program and tell me again how one record setting year doesn't matter?    I really would love to hear - seriously - how it's DeBord's fault when Ramsey makes the check with me and RPO calls at the line of scrimmage; and when he can't call plays that stretch the field.    Seriously.  Hit me.

40th in the country would probably just indicate that record was set because of college football offenses becoming more prolific. 

My two cents is we should have let Dabord retire after he left UT but understand Allen trying to help a friend. But he has to be able to fire him after this season if things don't change.

Also same old Ramsey, he can beat FIU, BSU but he is never going to beat a good team. They will play press man and make him throw it downfield and he simply just can't do that. 

47 minutes ago, NRT137 said:

Whop Philyor has the boot on his foot

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

He sprained his ankle in the first quarter of the game...you could notice a slight limp throughout the game. Hopefully he can heal quickly as we'll need his dynamic play ability the rest of the season.