Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

KDB

IU vs MSU: 9/22 7:30PM BTN

8 hours ago, Iugradman said:

This was a winnable game. Poor playcalling, coaching, and stupid QB errors lost this game. Typical IU football. It is always something.

This program always craps the bed when the bright lights are on. It is a cultural thing from the president of the university on down.

#IU Football

We'll never win another football game, ever never. We didn't look great but the game was lost on a few plays.

- bad bounce off RBs hand that led to MSU TD

- fake FG for a TD

- having to sellout late and MSU with a long TD

We're not terrible but we still do IU football things.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

1 minute ago, HoosierAloha said:

We'll never win another football game, ever never. We didn't look great but the game was lost on a few plays.

- fake FG for a TD

Yep. A very well rounded blown game. 1 play on offense, defense and special teams

21 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

- fake FG for a TD

I would add that the offense looked inept for most of the game. Zero semblance of a running game. Our running back is an up the middle guy but wish we had tried off tackle a little more. The up the middle run was stufed all night. Wish we had taken a few more shots downfield. It was wide open the few times we tried it in the first half. Ramsey overshot which was actually encouraging. I'm just not a fan of Debord as we abandoned opening up the field or trying to until we were scrambling the last half of the 4Q. Btw we had no issue passing on them when we opened things up. Cleary MSU was better against the run. 

Historic example of IU football over the years.  It's much less stressful to simply read about the games than to actually watch or listen to a radio broadcast.  Seen this movie way too many times that I can recite the diaglogue.

Honestly much like I put in the prediction that I have seen this song and dance too many times. Still pisses you off. I thought for the most part our defense did its job. Offensively we screwed the pooch. I don’t know how many 2nd and shorts we ran right up the gut only to get stuffed but it seemed like every drive from the stands.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

This is the same thing as last year. I really think our defense can be good enough to get us 8-9 wins but our offense will just be way too inconsistent for that to happen. We could use an upgrade at QB and  offensive coordinator. The OL is okay. Wide receivers are above average. Not sure we have a TE anymore. The RB game consists of ground and pound up the middle.  Works against non-con opponents but in the BIG it won't. I hope Allen makes a change at OC in the off-season if what I saw last night continues. 

12 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Honestly much like I put in the prediction that I have seen this song and dance too many times. Still pisses you off. I thought for the most part our defense did its job. Offensively we screwed the pooch. I don’t know how many 2nd and shorts we ran right up the gut only to get stuffed but it seemed like every drive from the stands.

From the sounds of it need a new OC asap

I'm all aboard the new offensive coordinator train. Very little creativity and a refusal to open up the field killed us. So did the offensive line. Ramsey had very little time to throw most plays. When we opened up the playbook and let Ramsey throw more than 5 yards it worked pretty well. The throw to Whop Philyor that Whop turned into a 65 yard touchdown was on the money. He hit him in stride and Whop turned on the jetsz Apparently that was the result of Ramsey changing the play at the line. Why the staff insists on dinking and dunking without even trying longer passes is beyond me. 

They spent all off season learning Ramsey strengths and weaknesses. The playcalling is tailored to those abilities. OC is doing what he can with the weapons he has.

We are definitely not a team built to play from behind.

Last night was exhibit A-Z of the importance of staying within a score or 10 of a team.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

My issue with saying Ramsey can't throw downfield is this:  he hit Philyor on the money 15 yards downfield on that TD and earlier in the game overthrew 2 receivers that were just as far or further.  We've seen this too many times to continue insisting he can't.  Is he great?  Far from it, but we have posters insisting he can only throw it 5 yards or less.  We've seen him get the ball downfield, yet we insist on limiting the playbook to short yardage plays; that is why I think the playcalling is making Ramsey look more limited than he is and that is on Debord.

1 minute ago, JSHoosier said:

My issue with saying Ramsey can't throw downfield is this:  he hit Philyor on the money 15 yards downfield on that TD and earlier in the overthrew 2 receivers that were just as far or further.  We've seen this too many times to continue insisting he can't.  Is he great?  Far from it, but we have posters insisting he can only throw it 5 yards or less.  We've seen him get the ball downfield, yet we insist on limiting the playbook to short yardage plays; that is why I think the playcalling is making Ramsey look more limited than he is and that is on Debord.

This staff leaves a lot to be desired. 

My issue with saying Ramsey can't throw downfield is this:  he hit Philyor on the money 15 yards downfield on that TD and earlier in the game overthrew 2 receivers that were just as far or further.  We've seen this too many times to continue insisting he can't.  Is he great?  Far from it, but we have posters insisting he can only throw it 5 yards or less.  We've seen him get the ball downfield, yet we insist on limiting the playbook to short yardage plays; that is why I think the playcalling is making Ramsey look more limited than he is and that is on Debord.

I believe part of this is coach Allen believing the defense can keep us in games as long as we don't turn it over. He's counting on a grind it out win instead of a track meet.

1 hour ago, JSHoosier said:

It really doesn't make any sense to me. On his touchdown pass to Philyor he was at the 28 yard line when he threw it and Whop caught it at the 50 yard line. It was a terrific throw.

He doesn't have elite arm strength but he can make 15 to 20 yard passes. But, for whatever reason the staff insists on 5 yard pass after 5 yard pass. It's frustrating as hell. If the staff really thinks he can't throw more than 5 yards down the field what are they doing starting him? At least pretend like you want to move the ball downfield. What's there to lose? We're playing games we're not supposed to win anyway.

The biggest reason why I think it's a problem with DeBord and not Ramsey is that his running plays don't make any sense either. We had a 4th and inches and he puts Ramsey in the shotgun 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage. He's the kind of coordinator a program that doesn't want to spend money ends up with. 

1 hour ago, JSHoosier said:

He is inaccurate beyond 10 yards.  He overthrew receivers.  Yep.  He did.  Open ones.   He can throw it 35 yards or so, but he can't do so accurately.  Any objective viewer can easily see his limitations.  You watched the game, right?   I think it's funny that throwing an accurate ball 15 yards down field is an idea of his ability to throw the ball down the field.   DeBord is doing what he has to do with Ramsey.  When have we seen him get the ball down field with any accuracy?  Seriously...when?   And 15 yards barely counts.   I know of maybe 2 throws this season.  In 4 games.   He had a QBR of 28.5 yesterday.  Well below average.

Yesterday, we showed again a limited playbook specifically because Ramsey can't stretch the defense.  Everything was in front, and they were not going to allow us to run between the tackles.   They took everything away in the running game, and forced lateral plays relying on our speed.  Until they dropped into a softer zone late which allowed Philyor's long TD, Ramsey was averaging less than 5.2 yards per attempt and finished 5.9.  That's HORRIBLE.  (Lewerke averaged 8.5)   People have to be objective about him and understand teams like MSU can just take away the run game and they can say "same old IU" all they want to; but the biggest reason we struggled yesterday was our offense simply had no ability to get chunk plays without YAC.   That made it a grind it out kind of game when we couldn't make mistakes.   Well...we made mistakes and took away any chance we had to let our defense win it.   

Anyone blaming DeBord or play calling is simply taking the easy road.  Blaming the coaches always is.  DeBord set offensive records at Tennessee. You think he forgot how to call plays???  Seriously?   Or just maybe, that ability is limited right now.  Yeah, 2017, he made one good throw to Philyor against a soft zone when Philyor was wide open.  Talk to me about the throws he consistently misses.

1 hour ago, HoosierAloha said:

I believe part of this is coach Allen believing the defense can keep us in games as long as we don't turn it over. He's counting on a grind it out win instead of a track meet.

Doesn't have to be a track meet and Ramsey isn't the QB for that.  We don't have to be at either extreme though; expecting the defense to hold like that is asking a lot and I think we've seen the offense doesn't have to be as limited as it is even with Ramsey at QB.  I just want this OC to open the offense up more than the post-it note the playbook is currently on.

Run up the gut

Designed QB run

Option

Screen

Repeat in varying orders

We do not have close to a strong enough defense to rely on that and we've seen Ramsey make too many throws downfield to think that list is the only thing he's capable of.