Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

IU vs Ball State 9/15 12 pm BTN

26 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Nope the only thing that matters is throwing downfield. Which is why the boiler makers won yesterday with their gunslinger. 

If you score 30 points a game and dont turn it over good things are gonna happen with a decent defense. It doesnt matter how you score the 30. 

Very good point. Purdue's QB threw for 572 yards. That's almost 100 yards more than Ramsey has thrown in 3 games. Their qb averaged 10.4 yards per attempt! That certainly puts Ramsey's meager 6.3 yards to shame.

But, I'll take the quarterback who wins. 

3 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Very good point. Purdue's QB threw for 572 yards. That's almost 100 yards more than Ramsey has thrown in 3 games. Their qb averaged 10.4 yards per attempt! That certainly puts Ramsey's meager 6.3 yards to shame.

But, I'll take the quarterback who wins. 

He got 74 of those yards on the flukiest play that will benefit them all season. He was pressured and just chucked it deep, the ball hit a Missouri player's helmet and bounced right into the hands of a nearby Purdue receiver who took it all the way down inside the 10.

I don't get why they throw as much as they do. I thought Markell Jones was supposed to be a stud?

4 hours ago, Joe DeLow said:

Ramsey is an NFL caliber mind with a high school arm. Very smart and makes mostly good decisions. His arm is just too weak. He should be “overthrowing” WR’s for them to catch on the run but every deep pass he has had the WR has had to stop and come back.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Outside of the UVA game... when has that happened????

What I did love about this game was that we demolished a team that we should have.  That shows promising signs to taking that next step as a program.  Obviously as an IUFB fan, I must remain cautiously optimistic that this wasn't a fluke and was a real thing.  I will remain 'cautious' until I see consistency in the W column.

20 hours ago, btownqb said:

I would say he certainly isnt an elite down the field passer, but he isnt lacking. I've went over multiple times the injuries we had in the WR core last year.  Let alone his own injuries. I haven't blamed DeBord for anything lol I like Debord, loved him at UT. 

You think a game where its pouring and windy is an excuse why he couldn't throw the ball downfield hardly at all? Lol not sure what to tell you there. Again.. I was there. 

I didn't say that and it's hardly the only example,. so go ahead and "lol."  You're not being objective..   And why does it matter if you were there?   You've said that twice...thank you for getting wet.  Well done. 

Buck Suhr has mentioned several times this year how effective but limited Ramsey is.  He's a good game manager and he doesn't make big mistakes.  He'll generally win games he is supposed to win; but he's limited.  He does not have a strong arm; and that limits the playbook.   His arm strength is widely recognized as his weakness....why is that such an offense to you guys?   He earned the starting spot and he's done well.  But his yards per attempt are very low and the playbook is a conservative one.  He doesn't hit tight windows and he doesn't do well throwing the ball down the field consistently.   That's just truth.   How much that will matter remains to be seen because the whole damned team is playing well right now.   He is a part of that to be sure, but I'd rather give credit to the team as a whole and not single out the QB.

2 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Guy is completing 73% of his passes so people start complaining he ISNT overthrowing his targets. Freaking surreal

It's a misleading statistic; and I know this comment in particular wasn't aimed at me; but his arm strength limits the playbook; so his numbers are a little inflated because of short throws and check downs.   Ramsey is doing a great job just running the offense.  We may never need him to make tough throws or get it down the field.  I hope we don't.

24 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

I didn't say that and it's hardly the only example,. so go ahead and "lol."  You're not being objective..   And why does it matter if you were there?   You've said that twice...thank you for getting wet.  Well done. 

Buck Suhr has mentioned several times this year how effective but limited Ramsey is.  He's a good game manager and he doesn't make big mistakes.  He'll generally win games he is supposed to win; but he's limited.  He does not have a strong arm; and that limits the playbook.   His arm strength is widely recognized as his weakness....why is that such an offense to you guys?   He earned the starting spot and he's done well.  But his yards per attempt are very low and the playbook is a conservative one.  He doesn't hit tight windows and he doesn't do well throwing the ball down the field consistently.   That's just truth.   How much that will matter remains to be seen because the whole damned team is playing well right now.   He is a part of that to be sure, but I'd rather give credit to the team as a whole and not single out the QB.

I really don't think you watch the games. 

53 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

It's a misleading statistic; and I know this comment in particular wasn't aimed at me; but his arm strength limits the playbook; so his numbers are a little inflated because of short throws and check downs.   Ramsey is doing a great job just running the offense.  We may never need him to make tough throws or get it down the field.  I hope we don't.

I just think people are overvaluing throwing it deep. With a defense that doesn’t have the depth to hang with everybody we need drives that last 7 to 8 minutes that end in a TD. Not 2 minutes. 

We have to give our defense time to rest. That means long sustained drives that don’t end in a turnover. 

Just realized that Hale had no catches yesterday. Did he not play and I missed it or did we really not throw at all to him?
If it’s the latter then that’s the same problem we had with DeBord and Cobbs last year. You can’t just not call plays that target your top receivers.
However, I think DeBord has done a subjectively better job this year than last year. Although play calling has been conservative maybe that’s intentional before we play some stiffer competition. Regardless, this team excites me and especially the freshman. I think we’re going to have to exciting teams the next few years.

33 minutes ago, The Ola Depot said:

Just realized that Hale had no catches yesterday. Did he not play and I missed it or did we really not throw at all to him?
If it’s the latter then that’s the same problem we had with DeBord and Cobbs last year. You can’t just not call plays that target your top receivers.
However, I think DeBord has done a subjectively better job this year than last year. Although play calling has been conservative maybe that’s intentional before we play some stiffer competition. Regardless, this team excites me and especially the freshman. I think we’re going to have to exciting teams the next few years.

He was dressed but I don't think he played a lot. Punishment for something? Who knows....He and Westbrook are clearly our best receivers. 

4 hours ago, Joe DeLow said:

I’m wondering when it became a federal offense to say Ramsey has a weaker arm? Seemed pretty well established when he got to IU and before this season started. No one is saying he sucks. But if we need a Hail Mary or even just a big time PA deep action deep ball, his won’t be super deep.

Old Friend is saying that he sucks. There's a difference between saying he doesn't have a cannon and saying he can't throw the ball downfield at all. Old friend is saying the latter, despite a ton of evidence to the contrary. 

13 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I really don't think you watch the games. 

And I really don't think you know what you're talking about.    You've never been objective and either can't comprehend what you see or you're too biased to acknowledge.  So we're even.   

I have now watched Saturday's game twice.  90% of his throws are horizontal, check downs, or dump offs.  He underthrows down the field consistently.   Like I said...he is a great game manager and so far has not made big mistakes.  This is not about wins or losses....it's simply about the skill set of a player.   But...we're 3-0, so that conversation is taboo for you.  You're a fan boy, and I get that, but at the very least...be objective.

2 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Old Friend is saying that he sucks. There's a difference between saying he doesn't have a cannon and saying he can't throw the ball downfield at all. Old friend is saying the latter, despite a ton of evidence to the contrary. 

Show me one time where I said he sucks.  (If anyone has actually read this thread, your credibility is zero, but whatever)   I'll wait.    And I'll also wait for any evidence to the contrary that I've said he can't throw the ball down the field consistently or very well.    Come on, fan boy.  Let's see what you've got.   Now, you have to create what I have said.   Well done!

13 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

I just think people are overvaluing throwing it deep. With a defense that doesn’t have the depth to hang with everybody we need drives that last 7 to 8 minutes that end in a TD. Not 2 minutes. 

We have to give our defense time to rest. That means long sustained drives that don’t end in a turnover. 

It doesn't matter until defenses (who are athletic enough to do so) press us and take the short stuff away, along with limiting the run game.   It hasn't yet mattered this season....and like I said, it may not.  But some of these people who have asked why we can't be on the same level as Penn State, Michigan, Ohio State, etc....  Don't seem to comprehend that this offense, against those teams won't work unless they play a cover 2.   If they press-man cover; we'll struggle until we can open up the field a bit.    

"We're winning" seems to be the argument of the day, which is supposed to be a trump card.   They don't seem to understand the bigger picture.   Maybe he'll prove me wrong, but until he does, all I have is what I've seen.

13 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

It doesn't matter until defenses (who are athletic enough to do so) press us and take the short stuff away, along with limiting the run game.   It hasn't yet mattered this season....and like I said, it may not.  But some of these people who have asked why we can't be on the same level as Penn State, Michigan, Ohio State, etc....  Don't seem to comprehend that this offense, against those teams won't work unless they play a cover 2.   If they press-man cover; we'll struggle until we can open up the field a bit.    

"We're winning" seems to be the argument of the day, which is supposed to be a trump card.   They don't seem to understand the bigger picture.   Maybe he'll prove me wrong, but until he does, all I have is what I've seen.

So your solution to defenses making adjustments to our offense is to play a style that hinders our defensive capability? 

1 hour ago, Old Friend said:

And I really don't think you know what you're talking about.    You've never been objective and either can't comprehend what you see or you're too biased to acknowledge.  So we're even.   

I have now watched Saturday's game twice.  90% of his throws are horizontal, check downs, or dump offs.  He underthrows down the field consistently.   Like I said...he is a great game manager and so far has not made big mistakes.  This is not about wins or losses....it's simply about the skill set of a player.   But...we're 3-0, so that conversation is taboo for you.  You're a fan boy, and I get that, but at the very least...be objective.

Peyton Ramsey has the highest completion percentage of any quarterback in the Big Ten. He's only been sacked once in three games. He has the 6th highest quarterback rating in the Big 10. 

Trace McSorley was supposed to be a Heisman candidate this year. Look at his numbers. He's completing 51.7% of his passes and averaging 6.93 yards per attempt. Is he a game manager with a weak arm too? Hell, he can only complete just over half of his passes. Penn State better bench him soon!