Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

(2021) PG Khristian Lander to Western Kentucky U.

Admittedly he didn't really stand out on the AAU circuit this past summer but watching today's game, it didn't look to me like he's got a particularly strong supporting cast so how much does that effect our judgment?   And what does a high level D1 coach really look at when assessing a recruit's potential when they're only 15 or 16 years old?   To my untrained eye, Jordan Geronimo has the basic tools but his team is several steps below him in ability.  Then there's Franck Kepnang who I can't begin to understand why Archie gave him an offer.  I just don't see anything that makes me excited to think he could be in candystripes.  I think I'm just too old for this stuff.

Admittedly he didn't really stand out on the AAU circuit this past summer but watching today's game, it didn't look to me like he's got a particularly strong supporting cast so how much does that effect our judgment?   And what does a high level D1 coach really look at when assessing a recruit's potential when they're only 15 or 16 years old?   To my untrained eye, Jordan Geronimo has the basic tools but his team is several steps below him in ability.  Then there's Franck Kepnang who I can't begin to understand why Archie gave him an offer.  I just don't see anything that makes me excited to think he could be in candystripes.  I think I'm just too old for this stuff.

I am with you. Each time I have seen Lander he looks like he belongs, but doesn’t look like that high end 5* that I think we were hoping he would turn into a couple of years ago. Like a Marquise Teague type that is really good and can play on a winning team, but you better hope you have Anthony Davis.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I hope we get him; but I’ve pretty much lost my stomach for recruiting. Cal coming in with the last minute brief case explains what it still takes 2020 to recruit. Archie needs to predicate him or lessons from his brother at Arizona.  I’m convinced now more than ever the bag men schools will continue to win. Our resources should make us second to none so do we want to really win?

41 minutes ago, schoosier said:

I hope we get him; but I’ve pretty much lost my stomach for recruiting. Cal coming in with the last minute brief case explains what it still takes 2020 to recruit. Archie needs to predicate him or lessons from his brother at Arizona.  I’m convinced now more than ever the bag men schools will continue to win. Our resources should make us second to none so do we want to really win?

When the laws change (2023?), and the one and done NBA rule changes (2022), IU recruiting will look much better. 

I've read on some boards he may have a bit of an attitude problem.

Purdue stopped recruiting him when they saw him on the court in a shouting match with his dad who was in the stands.  

That aside, his numbers don't paint him out to be the best PG prospect in America.  IDK.  Hate to lose out on a highly ranked kid from in-state though, but sometimes the fit just isn't there.

I've read on some boards he may have a bit of an attitude problem.
Purdue stopped recruiting him when they saw him on the court in a shouting match with his dad who was in the stands.  
That aside, his numbers don't paint him out to be the best PG prospect in America.  IDK.  Hate to lose out on a highly ranked kid from in-state though, but sometimes the fit just isn't there.

Beginning to think more about this. Sometimes getting so much hype too early wrecks havoc.

I’m not saying the verdict is in at all, just laying out my thoughts out loud.

If our coaches want him, and he wants us, I want him as a Hoosier.

I like Kaufman and Furst more.

Not enamored with Wesley either but I can see the skill there.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Reitz lacks size and strength. Lander looked like he was trying too much at times, but he showed flashes. The dunk to start the game and several nice finds in the offense/transition that his teammates just couldn’t finish. Reitz didn’t have another kid that could score consistently and he was being face guarded. Still want him very badly. He’s a hooper, needs to get stronger and develop a more consistent jumper. This is the guy to replace Rob

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

The Bosse Winter Classic is this Saturday.   Lander and Evansville Reitz will be matched up against Caleb Love and his Christian Brothers College HS teammates in the finale slated to tipoff at 8:00.  The event lost some of its expected star power with the season ending injury to Jalen Washington at Gary West Side and the decision by South Bend Riley (Blake Wesley) to withdraw from the event.  

Full Schedule and profile of participants -

https://www.courierpress.com/story/sports/high-school/2019/12/19/caleb-love-khristian-lander-headline-2019-bosse-winter-classic/2639103001/

Reitz beaten at home by Castle 70-62.  Another Nunge playing for Castle had 16 pts. and 11 reb.  Haven't found any stats for Lander.

He apologized to the city of Evansville for letting them down on twitter. Keeping my eye on this one, but each bit on info lessens my want.

I’m all aboard the Furst, Kaufman train.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Lander may be overrated but I think he is still better than anyone on the current roster.

More talented may be a better way to put it. I’m not sure he has the other things needed to be a successful college player and that’s worrisome imo.

28 minutes ago, InArchWeTrust said:

https://www.ihsaatv.org/watch/reitz-vs-christian-brothers-college-high-school-mo-boys-basketball-southern-indiana-sports-productions

I’ve watched about a qtr and a half so far and if Lander got to 26, he got miles better late. Has 2pts and 4 TO’s so far and has been flat out bad. The kid looks lost. He’s competing and his effort is fine. But his confidence looks shot and he’s so tentative. Something’s clearly going on with him. 

14 minutes ago, Demo said:

https://www.ihsaatv.org/watch/reitz-vs-christian-brothers-college-high-school-mo-boys-basketball-southern-indiana-sports-productions

I’ve watched about a qtr and a half so far and if Lander got to 26, he got miles better late. Has 2pts and 4 TO’s so far and has been flat out bad. The kid looks lost. He’s competing and his effort is fine. But his confidence looks shot and he’s so tentative. Something’s clearly going on with him. 

looks Love may have gotten under his skin?  

Hopefully this little funk allows us to sweep in and get him committed. I just don’t see how we can back off this recruitment at all unless you sense it might be an attitude issue more than a just being “off” issue.