Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

(2021) PG Khristian Lander to Western Kentucky U.

@KriegerSports: Meet Khristian Lander, an Evansville Reitz freshman that's put himself on IU's recruiting radar. @1997Davis with more on @IndyCoverage. http://www.indianasportscoverage.com/player-introduction-evansville-reitz-freshman-khristian-lander/

5'11/150
AAU: EG10

Rivals

Evansville Courier & Press:  Reitz up-and-comer Khristian Lander already getting numerous college looks

EVANSVILLE – Regarded as perhaps a taller version of Bosse superstar Mekhi Lairy, Khristian Lander appears to be a can’t miss prospect. The 6-foot Reitz High School freshman already is blessed with great genes.

“I think he is a really special,” said Reitz boys’ basketball coach Michael Adams. “He can shoot the deep 3 and get to the rim. He is so quick. He can even score in the post. He is explosive and athletic. You can see his potential.

“He reminds me a lot of Mekhi Lairy. There have been some really good freshmen in our league.”

Bound for Miami (Ohio), Lairy was the second successive Southern Indiana Athletic Conference player to finish second in the Mr. Basketball voting. He lifted Bosse to two trips to the Class 3A state championship game in the past three years.

Jack Nunge, who was Mr. Basketball runner-up in 2017 after leading Castle to the 4A semistate, recently completed his freshman year at Iowa.

Lander, who recently received a scholarship offer from IUPUI, also is getting looks from high-profile schools such as Indiana University, Michigan, Purdue, Butler, Xavier and Nebraska.

Lander, a left-hander, like Lairy, is ranked as Indiana’s No. 2 point guard in the class of 2021 behind Jalen Blackmon of Marion, according to Prep Hoops. He is the son of Harrison grad Keith Lander, who played defensive back for Western Kentucky University’s football team.

Khristian is a cousin of Vicki Lander, a former Bosse girls' standout who was named to the Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame in April. He’s also a cousin of Matt Lander, another Bosse product who played basketball for Western Illinois.

“He told me to keep working hard and to stay humble,” Khristian said.

Matt and Cardell McFarland lifted the Bulldogs to a berth in the 3A state championship game in 2007.

McFarland, who played for Missouri State and Kentucky Wesleyan and professionally overseas, is currently Khristian’s personal trainer.

“He’s working to get me more explosive and quicker – moving quicker off the ball,” Lander said.

He is playing for EG 10, an AAU team which is competing in a tournament in St. Louis this weekend.

“(Lairy) tells me you’ve got to ‘kill,’ ’’ Lander said. “You don’t ever know who is watching. A guy might not look like a scout. You have to play your hardest every time.”

When discussing Lander, Adams preaches the “three H’s.”

No. 1: Stay humble.

“He has to learn to figure it out,” Adams said. “Everyone knows you’re good. You have to be mature enough (to handle it).”

No. 2: Stay hungry.

“It’s easy to get complacent,” Adams said. “You have to keep working to get better. You can’t be satisfied. One thing that shocked me is he shot 60 percent at the line. He’s got to do better there.”

No. 3: Stay healthy. ‘Nuff said.

“I don’t think there’s any question he’s getting better,” Adams said. “He’s already really skilled.”

Lander averaged 13.7 points and 3.3 last winter for the Panthers (10-13). Drew Carlton, a 6-3 teammate who also started as a freshman, averaged 6.7 points. They hope to improve considerably on that record this winter.

“We’ve just got to get experience,” Lander said.  “We’re going to be a smaller team again so we have to get stronger. We have to lift and be aggressive. Other teams are going to be bigger than us.”

Once again, Adams underscored that Lander is special. Just how special will be revealed in the coming years.

“He’s trying to stay humble,” Adams said.

Lander added: “I don’t want to have a big head in anything I do.”

Derek Piper‏ @DPiper247

#Illini hosting @EG10_Basketball rising sophomore Khristian Lander (@khristianlander) for a visit today. Widely considered as the top 2021 guard in the state of Indiana.

The Illini will play host to Evansville (Ind.) Reitz point guard Khristian Lander for an unofficial visit on Thursday.

Lander is widely considered as the best 2021 guard in the state of Indiana after averaging 13.7 points, 3.3 rebounds, 2.1 assists and 1.4 steals per game as a freshman.

The 5-foot-11 point guard continued to impress on the AAU circuit this spring playing with the EG10 squad at the 15U level.

“The state of Indiana looks to have a lot of talent in this class, and it is Lander who is emerging as the top guard in the state,” 247Sports national basketball analyst Brian Snow wrote following the Bill Hensley Memorial Run ‘n Slam in May. “Lander has tremendous speed, long arms, and his jumper continues to improve. There was no answer for Lander at all this weekend, and he showed why early high-major interest is coming his way.”

Like any rising sophomore, Lander needs to get stronger and develop his slender frame. But he has the skill set working for him already, as he plays with the ball on a string, can hit from the outside with a lefty stroke and his stepback would make James Harden smile.

Lander has already taken visits to Indiana, Michigan and Purdue. He was in Bloomington last November when the Hoosiers battled No. 1 Duke in front of a raucous crowd of 17,000-plus at the Assembly Hall.

The Illini will get an opportunity to show him the campus, the facilities and State Farm Center. And Lander could also get a chance to see a team workout, as did 2020 Minneapolis-area center Dain Dainja during his visit on Tuesday.

12 minutes ago, barrettballer said:

If Khristian Lander keeps developing he will be a kid I want at IU. Saw him play a couple games and he’s very quick, has good handles and a nice jumper. Tried to do too much sometimes and was skinny, but he’s young and will develop.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

That EG10 team is loaded with talent!

I’m enamored with Khristian Lander. Those are impressive stat lines.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Lander’s got great court vision. 11 assists as a incoming sophomore impressive. Hopefully we can bring him in, have him sit behind Phinisee for a year a take over as a sophomore at PG.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

On 8/25/2018 at 5:54 PM, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Khristian Lander‏ @khristianlander

Blessed to receive an offer from the university of Purdue PUke thank you to coach Matt Painter and coaching staff!!

I thought it was Puredoo university?

2 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Boys and girls, that was me that changed Purdue to PUke in the Lander tweet.

That's a heck of a coincidence!

BUT...I choose the more obvious explanation: That in order to more accurately reflect their identity, Purdue University has chosen to rename their institution "Puredoo University".

In other news, The University of Kentucky has chosen to more accurately reflect their realities by renaming themselves "The University of Scoundrels, Irrational Cheaters, and Knuckleheads"....aka USICK

So there's that.

Indiana will host in-state 2021 guard Khristian Lander for an unofficial visit on September 8th, he tells Stockrisers.  Top-2021 PG Khristian Lander will head to Iowa on October 20th, has plans to go to Kentucky for Big Blue Madness, yet to be confirmed.