Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

IU Women's Soccer

Have not followed IU Women’s signings in the past but I did know one of their players. It seems from the bio that these recruits are playing at a higher caliber than prior recruits. Anyone who has followed longer know if this is accurate or not.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, 8bucks said:

Have not followed IU Women’s signings in the past but I did know one of their players. It seems from the bio that these recruits are playing at a higher caliber than prior recruits. Anyone who has followed longer know if this is accurate or not.

Not at all qualified to answer your question but my gut agrees with you.  I think it ties in with the new coach and his higher level background and contacts within the sport.

Avery Lockwood Called into U.S. Soccer U-20 Training Camp

Indiana Women's Soccer freshman midfielder Avery Lockwood has been called into the U.S. Soccer U-20 Women's National Team to participate in the 2019 NIKE International Frendlies. The organization announced the roster on Wednesday.

Lockwood, who started all 19 games for the Hoosiers in 2019, will head to the Premier Sports Campus in Lakewood Ranch, Fla. from Dec. 8-14. There, the teams will split into two squads with all games being streamed live on  ussoccer.com, Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.

U.S. head coach Mark Carr has called in 34 players for the tournament, including five from Big Ten programs.

Lockwood is the first player at Indiana to be called into U-20 camp. Goalkeeper Bethany Kopel was invited to the U-19 Training Camp in Spring 2018.

The Belmont, Mich. native led the IU offense in 2019 with five goals and three assists. Lockwood made her first career start in the season opener at North Carolina, and had her first two career goals against Morehead State on Sept. 8. She scored the game winning goal on the road at Illinois on Oct. 3 and another game-winner on Oct. 30 at Michigan State.

Jorden Lands on CoSIDA All-America Third Team for First Time in Program History

The College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA) announced their All-America Division I women's soccer teams on Thursday afternoon. For the first time in program history, Indiana Women's Soccer saw a Hoosier land on the list as senior defender Allison Jorden was named to the third team.

The 2019 Academic All-American Women's Soccer Teams, selected by CoSIDA, recognizes the nation's top student-athletes for their combined performances on the field and in the classroom.

This is the third award the Scottsdale, Ariz. native has garnered after the 2019 season. She was named to the CoSIDA All-District First Team in November and earned a spot on the All-Big Ten Second Team. Jorden was an anchor on the back line for the Hoosiers this season, aiding in nine shutouts and six Big Ten shutouts. The six Big Ten shutouts were the most in a single season in school history.  

Women’s Soccer Announces Sergio Gonzalez as Associate Head Coach

Indiana Women's Soccer Head Coach Erwin van Bennekom today announced Sergio Gonzalez as associate head coach. Gonzalez, who spent five seasons on the IU Women's Soccer staff from 2013-17, returns to Indiana after spending the last two seasons at the Ohio State University as the associate men's soccer coach.

"Sergio is one of the top goalkeeping coaches in the nation and I am thrilled to have him join our staff as an Associate Head Coach," said head coach Erwin van Bennekom. "He will be heavily involved in all aspects of our program with an emphasis on coaching, training and recruitment of goalkeepers. His experience in the game at the highest level, expertise in developing goalkeepers and his familiarity with Indiana makes him a fantastic hire for our program."

During his first tenure at Indiana, Gonzalez helped lead the Hoosiers to a second-round appearance in the 2013 NCAA Tournament as goalkeeper Shannon Flower set the single-season program record with nine shutouts and 15 victories. Other highlights of his time at IU include setting the second-longest defensive scoreless streak (463 minutes) in IU history in 2015, a return to the Big Ten Tournament in 2016 and leading a pair of freshman goalkeepers to four different Big Ten weekly honors.

"I am beyond excited to return to Indiana as a member of Erwin's staff and once again work alongside him," said Gonzalez. "I know firsthand of his passion to elevate the program and continue to move Indiana Women's Soccer in an exciting direction. He has a clear vision for this program and I am grateful for the opportunity to be a part of it. IU is truly a special place and I am looking forward to being a Hoosier once again."

Gonzalez spent the 2018 and 2019 seasons with Ohio State Men's Soccer, coaching the Buckeyes to back-to-back Big Ten Tournaments in 2018 and 2019. He guided the Ohio State defensive third to five shutouts which ranked fourth in the Big Ten Conference this past season.

"I want to thank Brian Maisonneuve for the opportunity to grow as a coach over the last two seasons, as well as Matt Foldesy, Chad Barson and the entire Ohio State administration," said Gonzalez. "I wish them nothing but the best of luck in the future."

Gonzalez's previous experience also reaches the national level, where he was worked within the U.S. Olympic Development Program since 2006. He has served as the goalkeeper coach for various U.S. Soccer development camps, including in Spring 2018 when he was the goalkeeper coach for the U16 and U17 Women's National Teams.

Gonzalez served as the head coach of the women's soccer team at the New Jersey Institute of Technology in 2012, where he worked on staff with van Bennekom. During his time there, the program had 20 players named to Great West Conference All-Academic team and three named all-conference by College Sports Madness. In addition, the Highlanders set a school record for most shutouts in a season and highest RPI.
Before arriving at NJIT, he was the assistant coach at the University of Dayton working with their women's soccer program from 2006-2011. During that time, the Flyers recorded a record of 71-25-15 and won two Atlantic-10 regular season and conference championships. They also made an appearance in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. He saw multiple players   receive Player of the Year and All-American honors.

Gonzalez spent six seasons as the Slippery Rock University Women's Soccer assistant coach, starting in 2000. The team won two conference tournament championships and made two NCAA Division II National Tournament appearances.

Before his coaching career, Gonzalez played soccer at Salve Regina University. He earned a four-year starting position and was a three-time captain. He still holds the record for most career saves (425), wins (32), shutouts (22), and goal against average (1.04). He also holds a season record .918 save percentage. He earned three all-conference honors and was Salve Regina's Male Athlete of the Year in 1999-2000.

Gonzalez graduated in 2000 with a degree in criminal justice and went on to earn a master's degree in student personnel while at Slippery Rock. He also holds multiple NSCAA diplomas.

Gonzalez and his wife, Megan, have three children, Aiden, Liliana, and Nora.

Allison Jorden and Bethany Kopel Selected to United Soccer Coaches Scholar All-Region Team

The Indiana women's soccer team nabbed two spots on the 2019 United Soccer Coaches NCAA Division I Women's Scholar All-North/Central Region teams, the organization announced on Monday afternoon. 

Senior defender Allison Jorden and junior goalkeeper Bethany Kopel were both selected to the third team.

Jorden an accounting major, played in and started every match this season for the Hoosiers. She was an anchor on the back line this season, aiding in nine shutouts and six Big Ten shutouts. The six Big Ten shutouts were the most in a single season in school history. This is the fourth award the Scottsdale, Ariz. native has garnered after the 2019 season. She was named to the CoSIDA All-District First Team in November, the CoSIDA All-America Third Team in December and earned a spot on the All-Big Ten Second Team. 

Kopel a human biology major, started all 19 games between the pipes for Indiana playing all 1754 minutes. She shutout nine opponents in 2019 including six Big Ten matches. With her efforts, Kopel set the new program record for most shutouts in a career with 16. This is the first award the Novi, Michigan native has received following the 2019 season. 

Indiana Women's Soccer has announced that Anna Aehling has signed her National Letter of Intent to join the program.  A defender from Coesfeld, Germany, Aehling will join the Hoosiers after graduating from Gesamtschule Kamen.  Aehling currently plays for FSV Gütersloh 2009 in the Second Bundesliga, and the German Under 19 National Team.  Anna has competed in the U17 UEFA European Championship, U17 FIFA World Cup and U19 UEFA European Championship. 

A daughter of Christoph and Monika, she has one brother Tom.

Anna Aehling joins a strong 2020 class that signed in November which includes Anna Bennett, Sofia Black, Jen Blitchok and Zoe Tiger.

Indiana Women's Soccer has added freshman transfer Karlee Luker, a defender who spent last season at Rhode Island. Luker will be eligible to play this fall.

"We are really excited that Karlee is joining our program", Head Coach Erwin van Bennekom said. "Having coached Karlee when she was a youth player, I know firsthand of her character, work ethic on and off the field, and her strengths as a player.

A native of Oak Ridge, N.J., Luker started all 18 games on the backline for Rhode Island during the 2019 season.  Prior to college, Luker played for NYCFC, Cedar Stars Academy and STA. 

Off the field, Luker was member of the National Honor Society and French Honor Society for three years in high school. She earned the Falcon Scholar Award her junior year, and was also a member of the Student Council, Stand Up to Cancer, DECA and FBLA. The daughter of Judy and Scott, she has two brothers, Jason and Jakob. 

IUWS Announces Emily Basten As Full-Time Assistant Coach

Indiana Women's Soccer Head Coach Erwin van Bennekom today announced Emily Basten as a full time Assistant Coach. Basten served as the team's volunteer assistant coach in 2019, and as a graduate assistant for the 2018 and 2017 seasons. 

"Emily is a tireless worker," Head Coach Erwin van Bennekom said. "She is extremely detailed in how she goes about her work and has already been invaluable in our recruiting efforts. She has a great connection with our student athletes and her passion for our University is infectious. Our program just got better."

Basten served the program as she pursued her Master's Degree from the School of Public and Environmental Affairs. She is an alum of the program as she transferred to Indiana from Central Michigan for her senior season in 2015, playing every game on the Hoosier backline and earning the team's Big Ten Sportsmanship award. She earned her Bachelor's Degree from Indiana in Neuroscience and spent a year working for the IU Varsity Club as the Annual Giving and Stewardship Coordinator.

"I am very excited to continue my coaching career with the Indiana Women's Soccer program and want to thank Erwin and Indiana University for opportunity to do so," said Basten. "It is rewarding to work for the program I am very fond of from my playing days, and I look forward to aiding our incredible staff take it to new heights."

Besides on-field training and coaching responsibilities, Basten will be responsible for the coordination of the strategic talent identification and recruiting efforts. 

Along with her work for Indiana Women's Soccer, Basten has extensive coaching experience on the club side for both Alliance FC and Cutters, working with high school age teams.

Indianapolis Star -

8th grade soccer phenom, IU commit is one step closer to U.S. women's national team

An 8th grade soccer standout who verbally committed to Indiana University in March has landed a prestigious spot on the U.S. Youth Soccer Olympic Development Program's national team.

Lexi Watkins, a midfielder known for her speed and agility — earning her the nickname "Turbo" — was named one of 18 girls nationally in her age group after an intense months-long tryout process. She is the only Indiana player to make a youth soccer ODP national team in any age group.

The feat raises Lexi's soccer profile and moves her one step closer to achieving her dream of making the roster of the U.S. women's national soccer team and playing in a World Cup. The women's team has won four World Cup titles, four Olympic gold medals and eight CONCACAF Gold Cups — making it the most successful of any international soccer team.

Lexi, of Lawrenceburg, learned she was chosen earlier this month. Keith Cheek, who has coached Lexi for eight years, said her accomplishment pales in comparison to her attitude.

Since her commitment to IU as a 13-year-old, people started coming up to Lexi saying, "You're the IU girl." Once she made the national team? "Still humble Lexi," said Cheek.  "Anytime people come up to her, she gets a smile on her face and gets all shy," he said. "More than anything, she loves being part of a team and has a work ethic, always wanting to get better."

If Cheek doesn't have practice, Lexi will go to the field to practice on her own. Through the years, she has turned into a fierce competitor.  'No one has to push Lexi'

To land a spot on the national team, Lexi first made the state ODP then the regional ODP teams. From there, she competed in a national training camp with 50 players. Those girls were whittled down to the final team.  Lexi's next step will be going to Amsterdam, Netherlands, to compete for the U.S. against other international teams.

"It’s a huge deal," said Cheek, who coaches Lexi's TempestShockers squad. "But the work she puts in, she outworks us adults. Her talent is amazing, but no one has to push Lexi. This is her goal."  

Todd Sheely, director of Indiana ODP and Indiana Development Program, said Lexi plays and trains at an extremely high level.

"Some players are better suited for either, but Alexis ensures she gets the most out of all soccer situations she puts herself in," he said. "Even though she has had success, she is very humble and supportive of all her teammates."  

IU coach Erwin van Bennekom liked what he heard about Watkins and made the offer March 15 for her to play at IU.

Other major Division I soccer colleges had been eyeing the 5-foot phenom: Kansas, Kansas  State, Illinois, Wisconsin. Watkins jumped at the chance to play at IU.

"I really liked the environment, the campus. I liked Erwin a lot as a coach," she told IndyStar after committing. "I like how it's local. It's still in Indiana."

Lexi Watkins, 13, started playing soccer when she was 4. Coaches immediately noticed her passion for the sport. (Photo: Provided by Watkins family)

The verbal commitment to IU is non-binding. Lexi can't sign a binding national letter of intent for  three more years. Until then, she and the university are free to change their minds. IU, for example, can pull out if Lexi doesn't continue to develop as expected.  

Lexi, who started playing soccer at 4, has continued to reach each goal she has set for herself, said Cheek.  He remembers a tiny Lexi looking him straight in the eye at age 6 and saying: "I'm going to play in the Olympics."  

"Whenever this girl gives me a goal," Cheek said, "I always say, 'There is no reason you are not going to accomplish that. You've proven that.'"

Just now, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Indianapolis Star -

8th grade soccer phenom, IU commit is one step closer to U.S. women's national team

An 8th grade soccer standout who verbally committed to Indiana University in March has landed a prestigious spot on the U.S. Youth Soccer Olympic Development Program's national team.

Lexi Watkins, a midfielder known for her speed and agility — earning her the nickname "Turbo" — was named one of 18 girls nationally in her age group after an intense months-long tryout process. She is the only Indiana player to make a youth soccer ODP national team in any age group.

The feat raises Lexi's soccer profile and moves her one step closer to achieving her dream of making the roster of the U.S. women's national soccer team and playing in a World Cup. The women's team has won four World Cup titles, four Olympic gold medals and eight CONCACAF Gold Cups — making it the most successful of any international soccer team.

Lexi, of Lawrenceburg, learned she was chosen earlier this month. Keith Cheek, who has coached Lexi for eight years, said her accomplishment pales in comparison to her attitude.

Since her commitment to IU as a 13-year-old, people started coming up to Lexi saying, "You're the IU girl." Once she made the national team? "Still humble Lexi," said Cheek.  "Anytime people come up to her, she gets a smile on her face and gets all shy," he said. "More than anything, she loves being part of a team and has a work ethic, always wanting to get better."

If Cheek doesn't have practice, Lexi will go to the field to practice on her own. Through the years, she has turned into a fierce competitor.  'No one has to push Lexi'

To land a spot on the national team, Lexi first made the state ODP then the regional ODP teams. From there, she competed in a national training camp with 50 players. Those girls were whittled down to the final team.  Lexi's next step will be going to Amsterdam, Netherlands, to compete for the U.S. against other international teams.

"It’s a huge deal," said Cheek, who coaches Lexi's TempestShockers squad. "But the work she puts in, she outworks us adults. Her talent is amazing, but no one has to push Lexi. This is her goal."  

Todd Sheely, director of Indiana ODP and Indiana Development Program, said Lexi plays and trains at an extremely high level.

"Some players are better suited for either, but Alexis ensures she gets the most out of all soccer situations she puts herself in," he said. "Even though she has had success, she is very humble and supportive of all her teammates."  

IU coach Erwin van Bennekom liked what he heard about Watkins and made the offer March 15 for her to play at IU.

Other major Division I soccer colleges had been eyeing the 5-foot phenom: Kansas, Kansas  State, Illinois, Wisconsin. Watkins jumped at the chance to play at IU.

"I really liked the environment, the campus. I liked Erwin a lot as a coach," she told IndyStar after committing. "I like how it's local. It's still in Indiana."

Lexi Watkins, 13, started playing soccer when she was 4. Coaches immediately noticed her passion for the sport. (Photo: Provided by Watkins family)

The verbal commitment to IU is non-binding. Lexi can't sign a binding national letter of intent for  three more years. Until then, she and the university are free to change their minds. IU, for example, can pull out if Lexi doesn't continue to develop as expected.  

Lexi, who started playing soccer at 4, has continued to reach each goal she has set for herself, said Cheek.  He remembers a tiny Lexi looking him straight in the eye at age 6 and saying: "I'm going to play in the Olympics."  

"Whenever this girl gives me a goal," Cheek said, "I always say, 'There is no reason you are not going to accomplish that. You've proven that.'"

My niece played with her. Says she’s the real deal. 

My niece played with her. Says she’s the real deal. 

My daughter has too. She really stood out as the best player on a state team of stars. If she had any issues it was that she was a little undersized when my daughter played on that team. Still a great player.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Indiana Women's Soccer has announced that Gabi Rennie has signed her National Letter of Intent to join the program.

A forward from New Zealand, Rennie has extensive national team experience, earning caps at the U16, U17, and U20 levels. She plays her club soccer for the Canterbury United Pride who play is the NWL, the top division of women's soccer in New Zealand.

Rennie has participated in training camps with the Senior Women's New Zealand Football Ferns national team and was a squad member for a friendly versus Japan in 2018. Most recently, Rennie served as captain for the U20 squad, during which she earned 6 caps and 3 goals in the FIFA U20 World Cup Qualifier in Rarotonga. She was also a member of the U17 New Zealand national team that earned a bronze medal at the 2018 FIFA U17 World Cup.

A daughter of Gary and Rachel Rennie, she has two brothers Liam and Lachlan.

Gabi Rennie will wear #17 for the Hoosiers. She joins a 2020 class that includes Anna Aehling, Anna Bennett, Sofia Black, Jen Blitchok, Susan Oberschmidt and Zoe Tiger.