Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Love and CBC plays Vashon on 2/5. Vashon has a Pg named Mario McKinney, who’s a 6’2” top 100ish kid going to Mizzou. Kind of wild, but an absolutely elite athlete. Really looking forward to seeing Love match up with him. 

Vashon defeated CBC 79-69 in a game that was frankly painful to watch taking nearly 2 hours to play a high school game because of all the clock stoppages.  It was a less than stellar performance for Caleb Love although he did score 22 points compared to his season average of 19.7.   He was only 6-20 from the field and 0-4 on 3's, one of which was an airball.  Of the 10 2-point FG he missed, I think 7 were in the paint because he couldn't finish at the rim.  2 of his misses were also dunks.  He is a 79% FT shooter and did hit 10-13 tonight and had 5 reb; 2 assts; 4 stls; 3 TO's.  All of this is my highly unofficial scorecard.  He did have 2 baskets waved off when the officials decided he was fouled on the floor before he got the shot off.  

The game featured a little bit of everything.  There were at least 3 fouls called on 3-point shooters, a tech for hanging on the rim, a bench tech and 2 more player techs.  Trend seems to be growing for shorter trunks with many players rolling the waistband.  Tonight there was a player who rolled the legs to shorten his trunks to a 1970's level.  Don't know how he did it but he did.

Love is a 247 4-star with a national rank of 35 and the #5 ranked PG.  The most impressive player on the court tonight was Mario McKinney a Vashon senior already signed to play for Missouri next year.  He's a 3-star CG ranked #148 by 247 but overall was the best player on the court.  Also playing for Vashon is Cam'Ron Fletcher a junior SF ranked #39 by 247 and with offers from many D1 majors including 5 from B1G schools plus Marquette, Kansas St., UCLA to name a few.

24 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Vashon defeated CBC 79-69 in a game that was frankly painful to watch taking nearly 2 hours to play a high school game because of all the clock stoppages.  It was a less than stellar performance for Caleb Love although he did score 22 points compared to his season average of 19.7.   He was only 6-20 from the field and 0-4 on 3's, one of which was an airball.  Of the 10 2-point FG he missed, I think 7 were in the paint because he couldn't finish at the rim.  2 of his misses were also dunks.  He is a 79% FT shooter and did hit 10-13 tonight and had 5 reb; 2 assts; 4 stls; 3 TO's.  All of this is my highly unofficial scorecard.  He did have 2 baskets waved off when the officials decided he was fouled on the floor before he got the shot off.  

The game featured a little bit of everything.  There were at least 3 fouls called on 3-point shooters, a tech for hanging on the rim, a bench tech and 2 more player techs.  Trend seems to be growing for shorter trunks with many players rolling the waistband.  Tonight there was a player who rolled the legs to shorten his trunks to a 1970's level.  Don't know how he did it but he did.

Love is a 247 4-star with a national rank of 35 and the #5 ranked PG.  The most impressive player on the court tonight was Mario McKinney a Vashon senior already signed to play for Missouri next year.  He's a 3-star CG ranked #148 by 247 but overall was the best player on the court.  Also playing for Vashon is Cam'Ron Fletcher a junior SF ranked #39 by 247 and with offers from many D1 majors including 5 from B1G schools plus Marquette, Kansas St., UCLA to name a few.

A good turnout of Coaches. Cuonzo Martin was there.  Brad Underwood, Travis Ford from SLU, Assts from Oklahoma and Kansas St.  

I’ve seen Love better offensively, but on 4 viewings, this was pretty typical. He doesn’t shoot it well. Will float for stretches.  Average passer. When he decides to attack he can create a lot of contact and either finish or get fouled. He can be a nasty defender. McKinney is a spectacular athlete, but there were maybe 4 occasions where Love absolutely locked him up. He’s got great traits. Just not convinced it adds up yet. I forget sometimes he’s a Jr.

In some respects Love reminded me of Romeo.  Has a good scoring average, but not a particularly good outside shooter.  Good moves to the bucket but needs to get stronger to finish at the rim; left too many points on the court but as Demo said, Love is just a junior.

Friday night CBC defeated SLUH 68-56 in a game the announcers said at the outset would give the CBC bench players lots of 4th Q minutes.  WRONG!  CBC (17-7) was up 45-25 at halftime and still led 58-37 at the end of 3.  SLUH got within 10 pts. in the 4th Q and the CBC bench only got around a minute of action at the very end.   Sloppy play and everybody thinks they're a great 3-point shooter.

Love finished with 12 pts. on just 3-9 FG; 1-4 on 3's and 5-6 FT.  Announcers said he's a 79% FT shooter and had at least 10 free throw attempts in his last 7 games - that streak's over.  He also had 6 reb; 6 assts; 1 stl; 1 TO.

This is the second game I've now watched and haven't seen anything all that spectacular about his play to merit a 4-star rating.  But I'm just an Old Fart and what do I know?

They say it’s hard to beat a good team three times. 

It’s not so difficult for an even better team to do, though, as CBC enthusiastically demonstrated Friday night in a 72-57 thrashing of De Smet in the Class 5 District 4 championship at Parkway Central High School.

The Cadets (21-7) forced eight first-quarter turnovers and rained in four first-quarter 3-pointers. Junior Caleb Love, on his way to a game-high 19 points, broke loose for a pair of one-handed stuffs as CBC built a quick 22-3 lead and cruised to its third victory over the Spartans (23-6) in as many games.

“We didn’t take them lightly, and that was the main thing,” Love said. “We can’t be giving up no upsets. We came out and we played hard.”

CBC moved on to a Class 5 sectional against Eureka (16-10) at 6 p.m. Wednesday at Lindenwood University.

The energy CBC brougth to the Parkway Central floor affected even the players coming off the Cadets’ deep bench. Jackson Andrews didn’t start, but he swished three first-half treys. Robert Martin, a freshman, scored 17 points off the bench, including a 10-for-10 performance from the free-throw line.

CBC built a 43-18 lead by halftime and never looked back, despite De Smet cutting the lead to 64-51 with just under three minutes to play. 

With its sixth win in a row and 10th in 11 games, CBC (22-7), the No. 5 team in the STLhighschoolsports.com large-schools rankings, advanced to the quarterfinals for the second time in three seasons and will take on Mehlville (23-7) at 6 p.m. Saturday at Lindenwood.  Love with 10 pts. but only shot 2-9 in the first half.

2 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

CBC defeated Mehlville 69-56.  Love with 30 pts.; 4-6 on 3's; 8-12 FT.

I walked out of the gym tonight thinking that this was the best I’d seen Love and that this is the kid so many Coaches are high on. But in reality he was essentially the same kid I’ve seen repeatedly. Played well but in spurts. Made some eye opening plays but was often disengaged. The only difference was tonight he was making shots that he often misses. 

CBC rallies past wounded Francis Howell, faces Rock Bridge for Class 5 championship

Love finished with a game-high 25 points, six rebounds, three assists and five steals. 

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/high-school/boys-basketball/cbc-rallies-past-wounded-francis-howell-faces-rock-bridge-for/article_563a4a74-4783-11e9-9bf6-5f34eb382d47.html