Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

akinnaird24

Hoosier Hysteria - Sept 29th, 2018. Time: 4:00 - 6:00 pm

Hoosier Hysteria is first and foremost a recruiting event. Like it or not, kids enjoy flashiness. This isn’t the eighties. Adapt or die. Villanova had Nicki Minaj at their event recently, Kentucky has Drake. Those two programs have won a hell of a lot more than IU recently.
IU has become a .500 program and making the NCAA tournament is basically a 50/50 proposition at this point. It needs to change.
Again I ask you, why not both? Why one over the other which it seems you are advocating? This is also a fan's event.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Cool nobody said that was unacceptable. That’s you building that narrative. Nobody wants to drop the scrimmage which nobody else in America has done.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app
I'd still like to know where any recruit said they don't want to watch scrimmages.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

45 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

I haven’t seen anyone say they oppose flashy. I have only seen people say they oppose dropping the scrimmage. So I don’t know what you are talking about on this.

The scrimmage is what pulls in the fans. This event is for recruits. Part of recruiting to IU is showing how crazy our fans are and this being a basketball state. Hard to say that in front of 1k fans when no scrimmage is played. Hard to get player name chants with a thousand fans at most. That’s what I feel most are arguing against.

2 hours ago, mamasa said:

I understand what some of you are saying about the recruits wanting to be "wow'd", but in my opinion, this event is not for the recruits. This is an opportunity for the community and fans to see their teams (yep, women's too) for the first time.  It's a chance to be in Assembly Hall, to witness the tradition and magic of IU basketball.  Any recruit that cannot appreciate the tradition and community importance of IU most likely would not fit in here anyway.  It's not like this is the only time a recruit will see what IU is about (coaching, chemistry, academics, etc.), as any serious recruit will take official/unofficial visits here.  The culture of IU is not one of flashy presentation, and we don't do that at basketball games.  Not sure why a recruit, who is here to get an education and play basketball, would not rather have an opportunity to see players on the floor, and a rabid fanbase going nuts for them.  

Mdn, it was implied in this post - The event isn't for the recruits, IU's culture isn't flashy, let's stick with tradition. 

I don’t think they should get rid of the scrimmage because that’s kind of the main point of the event. However, people saying that that’s what pulls the fans isn’t necessarily correct. As people have alluded to, the majority of the people leave their seats when the scrimmage starts. People aren’t going to leave during the part they came to see. Granted, this might be to get in line for autographs which I know people do around that time but I don’t know how many of those people who leave when the scrimmage starts are getting in line or just leave because I haven’t stayed for autographs before.

Mdn, it was implied in this post - The event isn't for the recruits, IU's culture isn't flashy, let's stick with tradition. 

You can keep tradition and spice things up. That’s just adjusting branding over time. Nike has a tradition. They are more urban, but they made urban cool over time how they evolved. I think Kansas is the school I am most jealous of when it comes to that department. They have more history than almost everyone if not everyone. But they still spiced things up. It’s how you do it. Making drastic changes does bad things unless your brand is dead. Until they take us off of ESPN or CBS those incremental changes should suffice. It doesn’t always have to be extreme.

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I don't really care if they have the scrimmage or not. I think it's boring, but oh well. People have opposed making flashy changes because IU isn't "flashy". I disagree with that. Just because we might not have been in the past doesn't mean that we have to continue that in the future. We need the cool factor to consistently land top recruits and revamping Hoosier Hysteria is a good way to do that. 

I go every year, and won't return without a scrimmage, 3,000 students in the hall won't do anything for recruits.

6 minutes ago, The Ola Depot said:

I don’t think they should get rid of the scrimmage because that’s kind of the main point of the event. However, people saying that that’s what pulls the fans isn’t necessarily correct. As people have alluded to, the majority of the people leave their seats when the scrimmage starts. People aren’t going to leave during the part they came to see. Granted, this might be to get in line for autographs which I know people do around that time but I don’t know how many of those people who leave when the scrimmage starts are getting in line or just leave because I haven’t stayed for autographs before.

I don't think the majority of people leave, I think the majority of student age people leave. I see it time and again and wonder to myself, "why did you come?"

I go usually every year. The people that usually are getting in line for the autographs go every year and are season ticket holders. Most of the people I talk to have collections they add to. To be fair not everyone goes for the scrimmage. They go for that. Much like a Romeo game. If you didn’t get up at the start of the fourth quarter you were waiting a longer time for your autograph if that makes sense.

Personally I would say I disagree and would say from my perspective it is for both the recruit and the paying fan. It’s a balancing act but without the fans you can’t recruit. Without the recruit there are no fans. Extremes on either side imo are wrong. It’s a balancing act.

22 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Personally I would say I disagree and would say from my perspective it is for both the recruit and the paying fan. It’s a balancing act but without the fans you can’t recruit. Without the recruit there are no fans. Extremes on either side imo are wrong. It’s a balancing act.

You said what I was clumsily trying to say.  I'm not saying it's not a recruiting tool, but I most definitely am saying it should not be geared only toward the recruits.  What I was trying to say is that this is not the #1 recruiting tool we have (that would be visits to IU/from coaches). Have a light show, have entertainment (Lord know it would be better than Greenberg  droning on).  Hoosierfan2017 has some beef with whatever I post.  I appreciate mdn saying it better than I could!

57 minutes ago, mamasa said:

You said what I was clumsily trying to say.  I'm not saying it's not a recruiting tool, but I most definitely am saying it should not be geared only toward the recruits.  What I was trying to say is that this is not the #1 recruiting tool we have (that would be visits to IU/from coaches). Have a light show, have entertainment (Lord know it would be better than Greenberg  droning on).  Hoosierfan2017 has some beef with whatever I post.  I appreciate mdn saying it better than I could!

Any perceived beef is imagined by you my man. 

Let’s get Future to perform as we are transitioning our future to be more ‘hip’ with the younger generation. Maybe as players are being introduced or shortly after.

3 point and dunk contest

3 on 3 half court tournament (play to 5 by 1s and 2s)

Scrimmage

Speeches by coaches.

I think that would be a pretty good lineup. One thing I’ve learned teaching is that you can’t have too long of anyone thing before people start getting distracted. Keep it fresh and keep it moving

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Let’s get Future to perform as we are transitioning our future to be more ‘hip’ with the younger generation. Maybe as players are being introduced or shortly after.

3 point and dunk contest

3 on 3 half court tournament (play to 5 by 1s and 2s)

Scrimmage

Speeches by coaches.

I think that would be a pretty good lineup. One thing I’ve learned teaching is that you can’t have too long of anyone thing before people start getting distracted. Keep it fresh and keep it moving

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I wouldn’t even mind a 3 on 3. I would even like it. If it wouldn’t drag out the night I think it could be fun.

2 hours ago, hoosierfandad66 said:

Can anyone tell me where to come in for handicap parking

Sent from my SM-J727V using BtownBanners mobile app

Call the box office because I can't remember where we came in, but they have great parking for the handicapped.  It will be the same lot that Glass and the recruits use.  Easy in and easy out.  Get there a bit early, have your handicap sticker in plain view.  Inside you will be right by section 8, floor seats.

Call the box office because I can't remember where we came in, but they have great parking for the handicapped.  It will be the same lot that Glass and the recruits use.  Easy in and easy out.  Get there a bit early, have your handicap sticker in plain view.  Inside you will be right by section 8, floor seats.
Ok thanks for info

Sent from my SM-J727V using BtownBanners mobile app