Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

lucel15

Getting Rid of Cable...maybe

I’m thinking about just doing away with cable and sticking with WiFi and then get a live streaming thing with sling or someone else......does anyone have any input or use a live stream group?  Just finally getting to the point where cable for $165 a month is starting to get crazy when I don’t watch a lot of tv. 

I’m not sure if it’s different in each area, but Hulu Live is $39.95/month and contains ESPN, ESPN2 and BTN. I’ve also heard they have a DVR option but I’m not sure if that’s more money or how to use it. Signing up for it this week as we just moved

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I use YouTube tv. $35 a month and get all the channels you would want. All ESPN, FS1, BTN, etc. 

I second this. I have YouTube TV as well and I’m more than satisfied with it. Although I think mjtavier and I have been grandfathered in at the $35 rate. I believe the price is up to $40 a month if you sign up now. You input your zip code at time of signing up and that gives you access to your local channels. It also has golf channel, tnt, tbs, tru tv. The only thing that is missing is NFL Network. I’m saving close to $100 a month by making the switch.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

2 minutes ago, GaryP said:

Is the $40 a month for each TV or does it cover all in your household 

You sign in I believe thru whatever streaming device you use so you could have 2 or 3 devices going if I’ve read some sites that way

I got the launch deal of DirecTV NOW. $35 bucks for 100 channels. They don't offer that price point anymore but I've been happy with the service. Think you should still be able to get BTN in a lower package.

we use DirecTV Now and enjoy it .... upgrade your router if it's old .... you'll want the speed to reduce buffering ... but they have BTN and all the ESPN packages ... i pay $65/month for it ... and $60/month for internet ... which is considerably cheaper than my $200 cable/internet bill

If you go with YouTube tv, make sure your streaming device supports it. Last time I checked, the Amazon devices don't support YouTube because of some pissing match between Amazon and Google. I have had YouTube tv since late March and been pleased with the service. For me, an old man, it took some getting used to and I supplement the service with an antenna on all of my tvs. But, all in all, no way would I ever go back to Comcast. Just not enough value there and I really think the future is streaming.

So now what’s the best way to get out of cable with spectrum. 

So now what’s the best way to get out of cable with spectrum. 

Spectrum does not require contracts.....just cancel the service, unless yiu need their internet services

I use cable for internet only for the speed, then use a combination of PlayStation VUE and Reddit to stream to Chromecast. You can get almost anything using those two, including early games.  If you wanted to go through the trouble, you could technically just use Reddit for sports, but PlayStation VUE offers more than sports. It's also about 2% less convenient than paying an extra $100 a month for cable/satellite, and I do not regret making the move. PS VUE has gotten better over the last 6 months as well.

I watch little tv outside sports, local and some political. Not enough for $100 Dish. I’ve called once to get their best price for the ole 2 year contract. Not good enough. I’m firing them this time and try one of these mentioned.

I used Hulu Live TV last season and was very happy with it. 39$/month when I did research on streaming games it was one of the few that got the BTN Sling did not for example. After sports were over (basketball) I called and downgraded my Hulu subscription to just the normal 7.99$ (without live tv). They said to call them back in the fall and I can re activate the live portion of my subscription. I love the flexibility.

2 hours ago, InArchWeTrust said:

I’m ready to give YouTubeTV a shot but it’s not available in my area. 

Try Hulu TV. $40 a month. You get BTN/ESPN/Fox Sports. You shouldn't miss a game, other than the BTN+ games. 

57 minutes ago, jhoosier said:

I used Hulu Live TV last season and was very happy with it. 39$/month when I did research on streaming games it was one of the few that got the BTN Sling did not for example. After sports were over (basketball) I called and downgraded my Hulu subscription to just the normal 7.99$ (without live tv). They said to call them back in the fall and I can re activate the live portion of my subscription. I love the flexibility.

2nd this. Hulu TV is a great option for IU games.