Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

MisterBigRig

Exploring Potential Neutral-Site Locations

Thoughts?

• Play the Kentucky Wildcats at Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis, Indiana
  • Play the Tennessee Volunteers at the Bridgestone Arena in Nashville, Tennessee
  • Play the Missouri Tigers at the Scottrade Center in St. Louis, Missouri
  • Play the Kansas Jayhawks at the Sprint Center in Kansas City, Missouri
  • Play the Arizona Wildcats at the Gila River Arena in Glendale, Arizona

None of those seem neutral to me.... Not that I would have a problem with any of those games, but just because a game isn't at a home arena doesn't make it neutral to me (Yes I know officially it counts as neutral).

I have heard Rumors of the IU vs UK game being played at Yum Center in Louisville, KY. That would be perfect for me.

8 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I am a big, big fan of college teams playing their games on college campuses. It's one of the primary dynamics that makes college basketball more than, and far better than just an NBA developmental league.

So those five suggestions for me?

• No
  • No
  • No
  • No
  • No

I 100% agree

While I 100% prefer home-and-home series 100% of the time, a thought to ponder: is it something larger schools need to consider more and more to get more marquee non-conference games? With now having a 20-game conference season, would it be more beneficial to play teams like Texas A&M on a neutral floor rather than a team like Eastern Washington in Assembly Hall?

Our fans NEED home games, so I’m not stating we don’t. But marquee games are seemingly just as important in that committees eyes most years

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

I am a big, big fan of college teams playing their games on college campuses. It's one of the primary dynamics that makes college basketball more than, and far better than just an NBA developmental league.

• No
  • No
  • No
  • No
  • No

I usually 100% agree, but if we have the opportunity to play Kansas, UK, or Arizona? I’m taking that for a myriad of reasons

• No
  • No
  • No
  • No
  • No
I concur

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Str8Hoosiers said:

None of those seem neutral to me.... Not that I would have a problem with any of those games, but just because a game isn't at a home arena doesn't make it neutral to me (Yes I know officially it counts as neutral).

I have heard Rumors of the IU vs UK game being played at Yum Center in Louisville, KY. That would be perfect for me.

It would have to be at Freedom Hall. UK cant play at Yum.

1 hour ago, RBB89 said:

It would have to be at Freedom Hall. UK cant play at Yum.

Actually they can now.

The Yum was in trouble financially and they have amended the Lease Agreement.

Yum Center is a state owned facility and not owned by UofL. UofL used to have veto power and did the majority of the scheduling however now as long as UofL doesn't have a game scheduled that day the Yum center can schedule anything else they want in the arena... including UK or any other basketball games.

1 hour ago, Str8Hoosiers said:

Actually they can now.

The Yum was in trouble financially and they have amended the Lease Agreement.

Yum Center is a state owned facility and not owned by UofL. UofL used to have veto power and did the majority of the scheduling however now as long as UofL doesn't have a game scheduled that day the Yum center can schedule anything else they want in the arena... including UK or any other basketball games.

Thanks didn’t know that!

5 hours ago, Iugradman said:

Playing a neutral site game or two is a great idea. Blueblood schools do that all of the time. We need to set up a series with UK at Lucas Oil Stadium. 40k in attendance, split between crimson and blue. That is the way it was for years. Time to make it happen.

Agreed only since Calimari won’t play us in Assembly Hall after their last beating where a Playboy bunny got run over. This is a top 5 series in college b-ball and needs to be played every year.

Calipari didn't want to play the UK-IU series on campus, but Crean and Glass did. So why not do a three-year series with a compromise: 

Year 1: Dum! Center or Bankers Life
Year 2: Assembly Hall
Year 3: Rupp Arena

Or do a four-year series with the neutral arenas as bookends to two on-campus games. 

Thoughts?
  • Play the Kentucky Wildcats at Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis, Indiana
  • Play the Tennessee Volunteers at the Bridgestone Arena in Nashville, Tennessee
  • Play the Missouri Tigers at the Scottrade Center in St. Louis, Missouri
  • Play the Kansas Jayhawks at the Sprint Center in Kansas City, Missouri
  • Play the Arizona Wildcats at the Gila River Arena in Glendale, Arizona
I would love to see in Hoosiers in St Louis. Would give me a chance to see them only 20 minutes away from me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BtownBanners mobile app

7 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

Calipari didn't want to play the UK-IU series on campus, but Crean and Glass did. So why not do a three-year series with a compromise: 

Year 1: Dum! Center or Bankers Life
Year 2: Assembly Hall
Year 3: Rupp Arena

Or do a four-year series with the neutral arenas as bookends to two on-campus games. 

Squid didn't agree to the compromise last time, so why would he this time?

8 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

Squid didn't agree to the compromise last time, so why would he this time?

Maybe he can handle getting beaten by Archie, better than he could stomach getting beaten by Crean