Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2020) PG Ethan Morton to Purdue

7 hours ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

According to another sites most coveted “insider”, Morton is/was IU’s top priority for this class. I don’t understand our fan bases’ propensity to claim IU cools on kids or prioritizes other kids more when we strike out. I still remember all the comments about early on about how Brooks was the other top priority for 2019 (aside from TJD) and that Trendon Watford wasn’t a priority at all. Now there’s no one who would rather have Brooks over Watford. Losing Morton to Purdue is a bad look and I have a very hard time believing both Leal and Galloway are better college prospects. 

As a casual reader of this and several other IU sites it is fair to say that updates about Morton have been few and far between for several months.  And they never reached the frequency of TJD, Watford or Brooks.  Nor Quinones for that matter  So while I agree that there is often revisionist history on message boards, it's not crazy to wonder why the chatter about Morton was so low relative to other guys IU has been recruiting.  

What even happened here? If he’s jumping for Purdue this quickly, what’s the back story? He had other programs equally or more attractive all over him in addition to Indiana.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

He officially visited 2 schools as a junior. Purdue and IU. Every scout and insider I saw was that Michigan, Ohio St, and IU were in the best shape. One of them instances where people myself included should of paid more attention to his actions. Purdue got an official for a reason while the others didn’t get one. I’m definitely surprised he is ended his recruitment early but if I paid closer attention I shouldn’t of been surprised Purdue was in better shape then most thought.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

9 hours ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

According to another sites most coveted “insider”, Morton is/was IU’s top priority for this class. I don’t understand our fan bases’ propensity to claim IU cools on kids or prioritizes other kids more when we strike out. I still remember all the comments about early on about how Brooks was the other top priority for 2019 (aside from TJD) and that Trendon Watford wasn’t a priority at all. Now there’s no one who would rather have Brooks over Watford. Losing Morton to Purdue is a bad look and I have a very hard time believing both Leal and Galloway are better college prospects. 

The main reason I think IU cooled is because Morton has a top 4 and I have a hard time believing that IU and Archie (being a fellow Western PA guy) couldn’t at least convince Morton to make it a top 5. 

After giving IU an official as a junior, I’d be really surprised to hear that he completely eliminated IU from contention. 

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The main reason I think IU cooled is because Morton has a top 4 and I have a hard time believing that IU and Archie (being a fellow Western PA guy) couldn’t at least convince Morton to make it a top 5. 

After giving IU an official as a junior, I’d be really surprised to hear that he completely eliminated IU from contention. 

Wasn't Morton originally supposed to be visiting IU in the next few days? If he's making the decision now instead of visiting IU, that would lead me to believe that IU has cooled on him, or prioritized Leal and Galloway. Let's see what those guys decide before completely losing our minds.

Wasn't Morton originally supposed to be visiting IU in the next few days? If he's making the decision now instead of visiting IU, that would lead me to believe that IU has cooled on him, or prioritized Leal and Galloway. Let's see what those guys decide before completely losing our minds.

All those and you can add Morton cooling on IU as an option too. Not jumping on you but talk like this is what makes some provide the other counter so quickly that people don’t seem to like.

If Morton is making his decision and not visiting IU, why does that lead you to believe it was IU backing off? Your not alone with statements like that, it just begs the other side of the coin to be expressed and that other potential reality doesn’t go over so well

10 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

All those and you can add Morton cooling on IU as an option too. Not jumping on you but talk like this is what makes some provide the other counter so quickly that people don’t seem to like.

If Morton is making his decision and not visiting IU, why does that lead you to believe it was IU backing off? Your not alone with statements like that, it just begs the other side of the coin to be expressed and that other potential reality doesn’t go over so well

You are quite right.  We basically only hear what we want to hear and don't want to hear what we don't want to hear.  Nature of the beast.  Oftentimes, it's how the opposing view is expressed and not necessarily the message itself.  Problem of written communication versus verbal.

15 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

If a guy scheduled a visit, and then doesn't take it, I would assume that something drastic had to have happened. If he was interested enough to have scheduled a visit a couple weeks ago,  what could have changed in the last 2 weeks? There's a lot of talk about recruiting momentum slowing down, and maybe that's true, but he planned his visit after our disappointing season. This is not a case where he was interested and decided to back off because he looked at this season and thought we were in disarray. 

There would seem to be 2 options. 1.) Archie's in home visit was disastrous, and so his feelings toward IU are changed and he now has no interest in IU; or 2.) IU has decided that they're prioritizing other guys over Morton. Either are plausible, but I would say it's more likely that Archie considers Galloway and Leal higher priorities than that he blew up what had been a good relationship. 

By all accounts, Morton is a good player, and so him choosing Purdue is annoying because I'd rather them only get lousy players... But the idea that priorities have changed is completely reasonable. We've been watching other PGs recently, and so some of them also may have passed Morton in Archie's mind. People on this board just freak out way too much with little to no information. Losing Brooks was frustrating because Archie clearly wanted him, so he lost in that battle. We don't even know if Morton was still a priority. It's entirely possible that Archie lost a recruiting battle on Morton too, but acting like this is a definite sign of IU decline is a bit much.

When Archie was doing in home visits last week and Morton wasn’t one of them I know questions were asked why he didn’t do an in home with him also. I always thought it was because he already had an offer but maybe it was because Morton informed them he moved on or maybe IU moved on. Morton never had a visit scheduled with IU this week at least none I saw anywhere being reported

14 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

So why is he ranked the number #41 recruit in america? What are the gurus missing?

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I don't know, you'll have to ask the gurus, I didn't speak with them.  Just giving my opinion.  And since it's maybe the only time I've made public a negative opinion on a recruit, and that same recruit is likely committing to our rivals, you bet your sweet bippy I'm going to recall that public negative opinion.

What did you see about Morton that made you so salty about missing on him?

image.png.c9b8586358857d13affb681fb43ecc64.png

So why is he ranked the number #41 recruit in america? What are the gurus missing?

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Size and project-ability at his position. That plays a big part of it. Past production isn’t always a factor. In this instance if it clicks he will be damn good. Same was the case with Curtis Jones. He had a decent 4* ranking and a lot of his was based off of what he could be. He never panned out. IMO Morton is going into a good position to not have huge expectations early. Best of luck to him.

Our recruiting is dead. Lol. I’m just hoping for Leal at this point.

We only need 1 player, somebody that can light it up from beyond the arc. We didn’t get that kid in this class or at least not yet. Franklin might grow into that but isn’t it yet. I’m not sure if there are any kids left on the transfer or juco market for 19 but there are still plenty left for 2020

5 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Hi Bailey7878.

Was wondering why you disappeared, but I guess this is how you re-appeared!

Lol.  Good catch.  Even has the exact same "Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk" at the end of each post.

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

You may be right but to say IU “cooled” on a kid because we didn’t make his top 4 at a time when he’s ready to make his decision is incredibly disingenuous. If he was our top priority as “insiders” claimed a week ago, we didn’t cool on him. We simply didn’t get him as he was just not interested. That’s a bad look when your top priority and a kid you’ve been recruiting for some time doesn’t even put you in his top 4 and he selects your arch rival in the process. It’s sucks enough to be a bridesmaid in someone’s recruitment but this is more like being an usher. One of two things are true here, Archie laid an enormous egg, one that will be used against him in negative recruiting going forward or the “insiders” on other boards are nothing more than attention seeking clowns throwing **** at the wall hoping something sticks and we were never deep into Morton’s recruitment to begin with. 

I don't know, you'll have to ask the gurus, I didn't speak with them.  Just giving my opinion.  And since it's maybe the only time I've made public a negative opinion on a recruit, and that same recruit is likely committing to our rivals, you bet your sweet bippy I'm going to recall that public negative opinion.

What did you see about Morton that made you so salty about missing on him?

image.png.c9b8586358857d13affb681fb43ecc64.png
Will he answer?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk