Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

AZ Hoosier

(2019) CG Jahmius Ramsey

8 minutes ago, iufaninillinois said:

When they major in something that does not have a bright economic future and then complain about it, I don't feel sorry for them. My 2 boys did it right. They went to trade schools. One as an electrician and the other in plumbing, heating and HVAC.They will make more money in their lifetime than those that major in subjects that have no future.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I would definitely recommend the trades.  I am a manufacturers' rep for HVAC products.  I sell through wholesale distribution, but work closely with HVAC contractors. There is definitely a shortage of technicians in our industry.  A person can get through trade school with little or no debt, make good money, and have job security. 

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

Wow it takes a special kind of person to say they wouldn’t help their parents if you were better off financially. 

But regardless of that it’s still not a reason to continue the indentured servitude of college athletics

I never said I wouldn’t, I asked when it became their responsibility. But in my case, my parents wouldn’t accept my money. I make more at 30 than my dad was making when he retired and I’ve offered. His response: “You don’t take care of us, we take care of you.”

And indentured servitude? Really? I don’t think you understand how indentured servitude works. These kids aren’t forced to go to college, and they aren’t forced to stay after they sign their contract. They could go to the G league. They could play overseas. Nobody is forcing them to do anything. Give me a break.

Since this thread is completely derailed already......I agree completely. I just told a nephew the other day to seriously consider a trade. He's an indifferent student, but capable mechanically, so why go to college and rack up debt? His older brother and sister both went to IU, so he thinks he needs to also. :107:

My daughter went to College, but had very little debt because of Child of Veterans scholarships to any of the U of I campuses(she didn't go to to Urbana thank fully).

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

And we now return you to our regularly scheduled Jahmius Ramsey programming.
I'm following both sides of the pay for play debate but if it's to continue would one of you start up a new thread devoted to that subject?  Thank you
signed Jahmius Ramsey   lol

Hopefully he comes to HH. That’s the first hurdle. Hopefully he clicks with other plays, staff, and environment. I personally feel he ends up close to home but not 100%. If there was an IU or UL close to him he might be more willing to end it quickly. You never know when a kid gets blown away.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

32 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Hopefully he comes to HH. That’s the first hurdle. Hopefully he clicks with other plays, staff, and environment. I personally feel he ends up close to home but not 100%. If there was an IU or UL close to him he might be more willing to end it quickly. You never know when a kid gets blown away.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Hopefully he holds off on a decision long enough for TJD and Brooks to commit 

17 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

You don’t always realize you are being robbed until it’s already happened. 

But no let’s continue to blame the 19 year old kids for being taken advantage of. Definitely not the 30-50 year olds behind the whole mess. 

Nope the teenagers should have demanded those adults act more responsibly. 

19 years old are old enough to make their own decisions.  If they are mature enough to enlist in the army then they are mature enough to figure out if sham classes are helping them.  They went along with it because it was easy and kept them eligible to play basketball.  Acting like they have no culpability in this and are clueless is akin to people trying to blame their woes on everyone but themselves.    Every college student makes decisions that will likely effect them for the rest of their lives just by picking their major.

4 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

19 years old are old enough to make their own decisions.  If they are mature enough to enlist in the army then they are mature enough to figure out if sham classes are helping them.

We don’t trust them to drink alcohol responsibly yet they are responsible enough to realize they are being scammed. Lol that’s rich. 

4 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

We don’t trust them to drink alcohol responsibly yet they are responsible enough to realize they are being scammed. Lol that’s rich. 

They fully realize they are taking sham classes.

College students are responsible enough to pick a major that they think helps them for the rest of their lives.  Or do you think older adults (parents or otherwise) should be picking majors for all of the students because they're too dumb to figure out for themselves? 

4 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

They fully realize they are taking sham classes.

College students are responsible enough to pick a major that they think helps them for the rest of their lives.  Or do you think older adults (parents or otherwise) should be picking majors for all of the students because they're too dumb to figure out for themselves? 

Peoples brains aren’t fully developed until 25 which effects decision making and long term planning. As well as weighing risk. So I don’t think any teenager should be making decisions about their future without an advisor. Schools recognize this and provide that service.  

Problem is that with these athletes there are for more people looking to exploit them and often times they have the same title that their non athlete peers rely on for sound advice. These athletes at UNC were steered to the sham classes by advisors who assured them it was in their best interest. It wasn’t it was just them being exploited.  So now these kids killed themselves for 4 years to make a bunch of people rich and they have a degree they might as well recycle and no money  

So not sure why you are opposed to protecting kids from exploitation but pretty heartless. 

15 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Lol what a great little sound bite that doesn’t even attempt to make a counterpoint just dismissed the facts 

Your facts are not my facts.

You obviously have your mind made up on this subject, & nothing I say will make you think any differently. We have opposing opinions. That doesn't mean yours is right & mine is wrong.

Sorry I upset you by stating mine. In the future I'll try to remember my place. Peace.

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

Peoples brains aren’t fully developed until 25 which effects decision making and long term planning. As well as weighing risk. So I don’t think any teenager should be making decisions about their future without an advisor. Schools recognize this and provide that service.  

Problem is that with these athletes there are for more people looking to exploit them and often times they have the same title that their non athlete peers rely on for sound advice. These athletes at UNC were steered to the sham classes by advisors who assured them it was in their best interest. It wasn’t it was just them being exploited.  So now these kids killed themselves for 4 years to make a bunch of people rich and they have a degree they might as well recycle and no money  

So not sure why you are opposed to protecting kids from exploitation but pretty heartless. 

These kids knew what they were doing.  Acting like these kids are dumb is pretty out of touch with reality.

10 minutes ago, IU Hardcore said:

Your facts are not my facts.

You obviously have your mind made up on this subject, & nothing I say will make you think any differently. We have opposing opinions. That doesn't mean yours is right & mine is wrong.

Sorry I upset you by stating mine. In the future I'll try to remember my place. Peace.

Lol you have facts but can’t be bothered to state them.  Hmm I’m skeptical but I’m sure they are real just like Jan Brady’s boyfriend George Glass. 

Do you think bolding a single word somehow makes a sentence with no substance mean something’s. 

And yes you are entitled to an opinion. But one that lacks substance and supporting logic and facts is called uninformed. And that’s what yours appears to be

1 minute ago, iuswingman said:

These kids knew what they were doing.  Acting like these kids are dumb is pretty out of touch with reality.

If 19 year old kids know what they are doing then how come IU has hundreds of advisors?  Not to mention professors that serve as mentors. 

And if 19 year old kids have it all figured out why don’t we let them decide the next election. Just have everybody else set it out?

The age thing always cracks me up. At 19 they don't know what they're doing but at 20 they do! I've met plenty of 19 year olds that have their stuff together and a plan in place for a better future. I've also met older individuals that don't have a clue.

The recruits have choices. If they don't like the system they can choose a different avenue just like if you don't like your line of work you can choose to work somewhere else. To say players aren't aware of the current environment is weak. Could they be paid more? Sure, but they're already making above the average income in the US.

On topic, if Jahmius decides to attend IU I'm sure he'll find all the advisors, managers, trainers, coaches, professors, etc. working to make him a better student and athlete.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

4 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

The age thing always cracks me up. At 19 they don't know what they're doing but at 20 they do! I've met plenty of 19 year olds that have their stuff together and a plan in place for a better future. I've also met older individuals that don't have a clue.

The recruits have choices. If they don't like the system they can choose a different avenue just like if you don't like your line of work you can choose to work somewhere else. To say players aren't aware of the current environment is weak. Could they be paid more? Sure, but they're already making above the average income in the US.

On topic, if Jahmius decides to attend IU I'm sure he'll find all the advisors, managers, trainers, coaches, professors, etc. working to make him a better student and athlete.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Who said anything about 20?  25 is when a person brain is fully developed. Prior to that you don’t guage risk correctly and assume everything will go right. 

It’s why young people think they are invincible. 

Anybody who thinks these kids have a clue about the real world works needs to watch Last Chance U. A lot of these kids have never been taught the value of an education so of course they aren’t going to value it. Which makes it that much easier to exploit them. 

And just saying oh these kids make choices is weak. A system has been created to take advantage of them. And you blame them for being taken advantage   What was it 6 years ago players were going hungry while other people were making millions. 

2 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

"I thought it was a part of the college experience, just like watching it on a movie from 'He Got Game' or 'Blue Chips,'" McCants said. "... when you get to college, you don't go to class, you don't do nothing, you just show up and play. That's exactly how it was, you know, and I think that was the tradition of college basketball, or college, period, any sport. You're not there to get an education, though they tell you that."

Yup, sounds like those advisers really pulled the wool over his eyes...