Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

2 hours ago, Hooserfan1901 said:

Some of you might have been worried about Colson Montgomery planning to go to the MLB after HS. That is not his case anymore as he officiallies signed his NOI tonight with the us

I don't think that precludes you from getting drafted. He could very well come to IU in end, but if he is drafted I don't believe him signing his letter here stops him from going to pro's. It more gives him option to do either. Will be harder to get drafted with only 20 rounds though.

9 hours ago, Aaron said:

I don't think that precludes you from getting drafted. He could very well come to IU in end, but if he is drafted I don't believe him signing his letter here stops him from going to pro's. It more gives him option to do either. Will be harder to get drafted with only 20 rounds though.

Correct.

There was even a comment on Twitter.. it read "and maybe another signing come July." So this thing isn't over yet.. completely going to depend on the guaranteed money. I do think he's leaning towards coming to campus, no one really knows though.

One thing that will work for us is that he will be a draft eligible SO. I would think that would be more intriguing than the full 3 years most kids have to be on campus.

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

This call might cost us a B1G championship.

Horrible call but the fact you could not score more than two runs on that pitching staff is what could cost us Big Ten Championship. Yes it cost us one run, but we should of had a lot more than a couple runs in the game against literally the worst pitchers in the Big Ten.  

We looked befuddled at the plate by guys with double digit ERA's. I absolutely think there should be instant replay for things like this, but we have no one but ourselves to blame given the Houston error and the plate approach. Never should of come down to this. Period.

If that call happened Friday and we lose 3-2 to Povich than you can blame the umps, but against that pitching that call never should of mattered. 

3 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Horrible call but the fact you could not score more than two runs on that pitching staff is what could cost us Big Ten Championship. Yes it cost us one run, but we should of had a lot more than a couple runs in the game against literally the worst pitchers in the Big Ten.  

We looked befuddled at the plate by guys with double digit ERA's. I absolutely think there should be instant replay for things like this, but we have no one but ourselves to blame given the Houston error and the plate approach. Never should of come down to this. Period.

Yeah, but someone doing their job should never, ever miss that call. Our players should get a fair shake regardless of how they're playing.

Have no idea how this inning could have ended up if it weren't for that call. Could have been a 5 run inning who knows. Do your job as an umpire, Jeremy Houston had perfected his job.

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Yeah, but someone doing their job should never, ever miss that call. Our players should get a fair shake regardless of how they're playing.

Agreed, but I still think you absolutely have to do better off that pitching staff and that call never should of mattered. When you score two runs off those pitchers you deserve what you get regardless of that call. 

If that happens this weekend, we can complain a little more when runs are hard to come by. However, if this game is the difference in winning the title we can look at Jeremy Houston and our horrible batting against THAT pitching as reasons we lost. Not the call. 

Horrific and replay needs to be added, but there are many other things to look at before that play on why we lost. 

2 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Agreed, but I still think you absolutely have to do better off that pitching staff and that call never should of mattered. When you score two runs off those pitchers you deserve what you get regardless of that call. 

If that happens this weekend, we can complain a little more when runs are hard to come by. However, if this game is the difference in winning the title we can look at Jeremy Houston and our horrible batting against THAT pitching as reasons we lost. Not the call. 

Horrific and replay needs to be added, but there are many other things to look at before that play on why we lost. 

He missed a call by 4 feet. I mean.. you can literally say any of that in any loss. Play better/execute better and you win. You still have to get a reasonably fair shake. Bases loaded with no outs is massively different than 2nd and 3rd with one out. Literally one big inning wins us the game, unfortunate the umpire didn't allow us to do that.

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

He missed a call by 4 feet. I mean.. you can literally say any of that in any loss. Play better/execute better and you win. You still have to get a reasonably fair shake. Bases loaded with no outs is massively different than 2nd and 3rd with one out. Literally one big inning wins us the game, unfortunate the umpire didn't allow us to do that.

I agree, but we should of had plenty of other big innings against those pitchers. You can't strikeout and look befuddled against guys with double digit ERA's or you don't deserve a title. Ask the coaching staff and I am sure they will tell you and believe in truth that their hitting cost them the game, not that call. 

There is a different between executing better and massively failing to hit the worst pitchers in the Big Ten. When that type of hitting happens against that staff you don't deserve a title. Its that simple. 

Just now, Aaron said:

I agree, but we should of had plenty of other big innings against those pitchers. You can't strikeout and look befuddled against guys with double digit ERA's or you don't deserve a title. Ask the coaching staff and I am sure they will tell you and believe in truth that their hitting cost them the game, not that call. 

I mean obviously the coaching staff is going to say that lol

Here is what scares me to death about Mercer is that everyone wins at Wright State and then have been either mediocre or horrible at a better job. 

It started with Rob Cooper who went to PSU and has been nothing short of pathetic after winning at Wright State. Granted no one wins at PSU and they have been a bottom feeder in the Big Ten with one tournament appearence in nearly 50 years.

Next lets talk about Greg Lovelady who won even bigger than Cooper at Wright State. Lovelady has done far better at Central Florida then Cooper has done at PSU. However, he only has one NCAA Tournament in four years (like Mercer it was his first season) there and has finished near .500 in other three years. The guy Lovelady replaced is Terry Rooney who had a better run that his successor. Rooney made two regionals and had two other winning seasons where they just missed in seven years. Rooney replaced a guy who won very big but was forced out for improprieties. So basically Lovelady has been weaker than the previous two coaches.  

Alex Sogard the current coach at Wright State has come in for Mercer and kept right on winning.

Obviously its way to early in Mercer's tenure to say much, but it is important to note that the last two Wright State coaches who got bigger jobs before him are not doing great. 

As I have said Mercer deserves plenty of time to fix the issues with hitting this year, but it does worry me that the last two Raider coaches have had little success after moving on but hoping for the best.

2 hours ago, LIHoosier said:

What's with the city of Dayton, OH palming off mediocre coaches to the rest of college sports?

Mercer is .500 on winning the conference and COTY. 

On 6/4/2021 at 9:52 PM, Aaron said:

Here is what scares me to death about Mercer is that everyone wins at Wright State and then have been either mediocre or horrible at a better job. 

It started with Rob Cooper who went to PSU and has been nothing short of pathetic after winning at Wright State. Granted no one wins at PSU and they have been a bottom feeder in the Big Ten with one tournament appearence in nearly 50 years.

Next lets talk about Greg Lovelady who won even bigger than Cooper at Wright State. Lovelady has done far better at Central Florida then Cooper has done at PSU. However, he only has one NCAA Tournament in four years (like Mercer it was his first season) there and has finished near .500 in other three years. The guy Lovelady replaced is Terry Rooney who had a better run that his successor. Rooney made two regionals and had two other winning seasons where they just missed in seven years. Rooney replaced a guy who won very big but was forced out for improprieties. So basically Lovelady has been weaker than the previous two coaches.  

Alex Sogard the current coach at Wright State has come in for Mercer and kept right on winning.

Obviously its way to early in Mercer's tenure to say much, but it is important to note that the last two Wright State coaches who got bigger jobs before him are not doing great. 

As I have said Mercer deserves plenty of time to fix the issues with hitting this year, but it does worry me that the last two Raider coaches have had little success after moving on but hoping for the best.

I think its an egregious stretch to group a set of coaches together because they went through one program, at one point. 

It's honestly borderline crazy we're worried about Mercer, at all.  Actually.. I'm not in the least bit. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I think its an egregious stretch to group a set of coaches together because they went through one program, at one point. 

It's honestly borderline crazy we're worried about Mercer, at all.  Actually.. I'm not in the least bit. 

Mercer very well could be different and I really hope he is. I am just pointing out it has not gone great for Wright State coaches outside of Wright St.

Doesn't mean Mercer will not be fantastic here which is certainly possible. Merely telling what has happened previously.