Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

6 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

SCHEDULE UPDATE

No. 21 #IUBase will host Illinois on Tuesday, May 18 at 3:00 PM ET at Bart Kaufman Field in Bloomington.  The game is a make-up of the contest that was postponed on April 11.

This could or worse thing to happen to us depending on how schedule plays out with Nebraska's win today. There is a decent chance we will need that win to wrap up Big Ten Title if we split the two Nebraska games.

What scares me is this is the type of game Illinois is at the greatest equalizer against us. They cannot pitch worth a lick which is why we beat them twice, but they have the offense to beat anyone. Our best starters are far better than theirs for a weekend series, but a one off where both teams are using bullpen guys should even it up. We will put a ton of runs on them is this makeup almost certainly, but the key is them not getting to back of our bullpen and losing like 10-8 or something. 

11 minutes ago, Aaron said:

This could or worse thing to happen to us depending on how schedule plays out with Nebraska's win today. There is a decent chance we will need that win to wrap up Big Ten Title if we split the two Nebraska games.

What scares me is this is the type of game Illinois is at the greatest equalizer against us. They cannot pitch worth a lick which is why we beat them twice, but they have the offense to beat anyone. Our best starters are far better than theirs for a weekend series, but a one off where both teams are using bullpen guys should even it up. We will put a ton of runs on them is this makeup almost certainly, but the key is them not getting to back of our bullpen and losing like 10-8 or something. 

Kinda BS that we have 4 games that next weekend and they only have 3.  Gives them more flexibility to them 

6 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Kinda BS that we have 4 games that next weekend and they only have 3.  Gives them more flexibility to them 

It won't matter pitching wise which is big thing. Illinois has no good pitchers.

The issue is our bullpen and how we play it and we need to throw decent guys against their offense. Hopefully like three innings each of Mudungo, Bothwell and Tucker will be sufficient and will make everyone available each weekend in between as planned.

We have terrific pitching depth. Just unfortunate to have to use it against Illinois and their offense. Biggest thing is we may need it to not lose Big Ten by 1/2 game to Nebraska after their win today. Better to play it before 4 game weekend then after and those were the choices.

Not a great situation but this is probably best we can do and just hope we win high scoring game (I have zero doubt we won't put up 5-10 runs on their bullpen given they don't even pitch well on weekends, but key is not giving up more than we score). 

FWIW

It's IU that is not allowing us to attend games when literally the entire country is getting to watch in person baseball right now. I spoke with the Monroe Co Health Dept yesterday. They're pretty frustrated with IU, as well.

FWIW
It's IU that is not allowing us to attend games when literally the entire country is getting to watch in person baseball right now. I spoke with the Monroe Co Health Dept yesterday. They're pretty frustrated with IU, as well.

It’s a shame. Hopefully, with students leaving campus this week, things change here soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, HoosierDYT said:

It’s a shame. Hopefully, with students leaving campus this week, things change here soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm livid.

29 minutes ago, btownqb said:

FWIW

Monroe county has restrictions of events to less than 50 people so don’t think it’s all IU with this 

11 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Monroe county has restrictions of events to less than 50 people so don’t think it’s all IU with this 

Monroe County Health Dept said... it's 100% IU on why we can't have fans at games. There are more than 50 people now that attend the games, you can tell that by the "crowd." Family, friends, media, etc.

So, either Monroe Co HD lied to me yesterday, or it's 100% on IU. I'm not sure why they would have restrictions on it at all. Monroe County isn't some hotspot for Covid. The lady I talked to, a supervisor at the HD (not sure the exact term)... told me she is very confused by the decision by IU to not allow 50% capacity.

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Monroe County Health Dept said... it's 100% IU on why we can't have fans at games. There are more than 50 people now that attend the games, you can tell that by the "crowd." Family, friends, media, etc.

So, either Monroe Co HD lied to me yesterday, or it's 100% on IU. I'm not sure why they would have restrictions on it at all. Monroe County isn't some hotspot for Covid. The lady I talked to, a supervisor at the HD (not sure the exact term)... told me she is very confused by the decision by IU to not allow 50% capacity.

Well judging by Monroe counties own website it looks like they lied to you. And maybe Monroe county isn’t a hot spot because of the restrictions.

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

Well judging by Monroe counties only website it looks like they lied to you. And maybe Monroe county isn’t a hot spot because of the restrictions.

Actually.. I know for a fact they didn't lie. In Feb we played at Bloom S.... at least 400 people in attendance. Maybe closer to 600.

TCU and Texas played in front of a 100% capacity stadium all weekend. It was wonderful to watch.

Just now, IUc2016 said:

IU has had more than 50 people at countless events. It has nothing to do with the Monroe county restriction

There were way more there for the tourney games held at AH lol

4 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

IU has had more than 50 people at countless events. It has nothing to do with the Monroe county restriction

Which would also seem to indicate it’s not an IU thing either.  But yeah let’s bash IU for Amy silly reason.  

Wasn’t it a big ten directive to follow local health ordinances? Might explain why a non big ten tourney game wouldn’t be affected. 

Just now, Brass Cannon said:

Which would also seem to indicate it’s not an IU thing either.  But yeah let’s bash IU for Amy silly reason.  

Wasn’t it a big ten directive to follow local health ordinances? Might explain why a non big ten tourney game wouldn’t be affected. 

I didn't bash IU. I don't know their reasons. I just said it didn't have to do with the Monroe County restriction.

Right now every Big Ten team outside of Iowa, Nebraska and Purdue are family and friends only just like IU (theoretically Rutgers "opened it up" to 500 people this weekend but only family and friends showed up). Every other Big Ten school is doing exactly what IU is doing including Michigan and Maryland where we finish season. 

A family friend drove past MSU this weekend and their baseball game would not let him in as a fan. 

It really sucks and they probably should let some fans in now, but just realize the vast majority of Big Ten schools are doing exactly what IU is doing still. 

6 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Right now every Big Ten team outside of Iowa, Nebraska and Purdue are family and friends only just like IU (theoretically Rutgers "opened it up to 500 people" this weekend but only family and friends showed up). Every other Big Ten school is doing exactly what IU is doing including Michigan and Maryland where we finish season. 

A family family member drove past MSU this weekend and their baseball game would not let him in as a fan. 

It really sucks and they probably should let some fans in now, but just realize the vast majority of Big Ten schools are doing exactly what IU is doing still. 

That doesn't make it right, at all. I'm not going to be okay with it just because most of the big ten is doing it that way. It's 100% wrong. SEC/ACC/B12. Good for those schools understanding the right way to handle this.

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

That doesn't make it right, at all. I'm not going to be okay with it just because most of the big ten is doing it that way. It's 100% wrong. SEC/ACC/B12. Good for those schools understanding the right way to handle this.

Not disagreeing, but this seems to be mostly a Big Ten thing, since they started the policy of no fans and when they left it up to schools halfway through the season, all but three of them left the family/friends restrictions in place to this day.

I blame the Big Ten for not letting schools set the policies from the beginning like other conferences. If they had done this, more schools might have changed. 

To say halfway through the spring season it is OK to let fans in, makes it a little harder to change on fly and many schools did not.