Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hopkins Named Scholar-Athlete of the Month for November

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. – Indiana University baseball senior catcher Collin Hopkins was named the male Scholar-Athlete of the Month for November on Friday.

"You can find Collin always taking advantage of the services provided to him and challenging himself to be the best student that he can be," said Allen Kohn, IU's assistant director of academic services. "He prides himself on his time management and organizational skills, which show on a daily basis."

In a shortened, 2020 season for the Hoosiers, Hopkins appeared in all 15 games, earning 12 starts. He batted .220 on the season with a double, six RBI and six runs scored. Hopkins recorded a season-high three hits in the team's win at No. 17 East Carolina.

"I have had the pleasure to work with Collin for the past year," said Tyler Wright, IU's assistant director of academic services & certification. "He came to IU as a transfer student and had a great passion for academics. Utilizing his academic resources has always been a staple of who he is. You can find Collin always taking advantage of the services provided to him and challenging himself to be the best student that he can be. He prides himself on his time management and organizational skills, which show on a daily basis. Collin is on track to graduate this year and I cannot wait to see his hard work pay off."

Kendall Rogers @KendallRogers

BREAKING:  The @bigten Conference will not have non-conference games against non #BigTen teams in 2021 in baseball or softball, sources tell @d1baseball.  Coaches, however, are expected to aim for as many games as possible. More to come.

Rogers is co-managing editor of D1 Baseball.

6 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

BREAKING:  The @bigten Conference will not have non-conference games against non #BigTen teams in 2021 in baseball or softball, sources tell @d1baseball.  Coaches, however, are expected to aim for as many games as possible. More to come.

Unbelievable 

On 11/13/2020 at 3:28 PM, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

This is a huge bummer. 

BREAKING: The @NCAA  Committee for Legislative Relief has granted DI Baseball a blanket waiver that extends through 2022.  In 2022:

* Rosters will be capped at 40 (unlimited ’21, 35 normal season)

* Counters stay at 32 (up from 27)

* 25% minimum scholarship rule gone yet again.

Kendall Rogers @KendallRogers     (Rogers is co-managing editor of D1 Baseball.)

SOURCE:  Reported a while back that the #BigTen was planning to do conference only in the spring.  Additionally, I’ve been told the league plans to start the 2021 baseball season the first weekend of March with a potential for 44 games.  Coaches could aim for more.

Alright, seriously...I decided to open this thread because I couldn't find an IU baseball schedule anywhere, and I thought the season should be starting soon, because Covid couldn't possibly still be shortening seasons and screwing everything up, right? Wrong. Damn the Big Ten f*cking blows. 

2 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

Alright, seriously...I decided to open this thread because I couldn't find an IU baseball schedule anywhere, and I thought the season should be starting soon, because Covid couldn't possibly still be shortening seasons and screwing everything up, right? Wrong. Damn the Big Ten f*cking blows. 

Not a schedule but you might be interested in this nonetheless.

Lansing, MI TV -  Covid issues have caused a format change for Big Ten baseball in 2021. The usual 56-game regular season schedule is being reduced to 44 games, conference only. Other conferences will continue with 56-game schedules. The Big Ten schools, 13 in number since Wisconsin does not play baseball, are awaiting the specifics of their schedules. Games will be played on week ends only, doubleheaders on Fridays and Saturdays, Sundays used for rainouts, for the most part. Games will last nine innings unless first games of doubleheaders go extra innings, then the second games will go seven innings. The schedule will run 12 week ends beginning March 5th and their will be no Big Ten tournament played this year. No midweek games will be played either.

More in-depth at:  https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/baseball/big-tens-conference-only-baseball-schedule-could-hinder-teams-postseason-chances/article_37008e6e-5b51-11eb-93e2-5fde38ca9857.html

Lol at the season starting 2 weeks late. Everything is always 2 weeks later than normal. 

I read another article on this that said teams will have to travel by bus to all of their games. I'm sure Nebraska and Rutgers are happy about that. It would actually make more sense for someone like Nebraska to play games against teams like Creighton or Kansas than drive 18 hours to New Jersey. I bet some pencil-pushing geek in the Big Ten offices had the idea for conference-only games because he/she thought the risk of Covid spread and/or travel expenses would be too high if teams were traveling all over the country....apparently not realizing that this conference is kind of all over the country anyway. 

Kendall Rogers of D1 Baseball -

The biggest news: The NCAA also will allow the MLB extra-inning rule to be used in 2021, a move that was expected.  The player starting the extra inning on second base is the player immediately in front of the first batter in the inning.

We're losing Greg Murray as the radio game announcer.  He tweeted yesterday:  "I have a new full-time job (not broadcast-related), making it nearly impossible to balance that and a full college baseball season."

Have to wait to learn what the plans are for Greg's replacement.  He didn't mention if this will affect his coverage of IUWBB in the future.