Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

No Hoosiers taken in abbreviated draft, so IU should return most if not of all of roster from last year with seniors given additional eligibility this year. Other Big Ten teams lost a bunch, so its possible IU will go in as Big Ten favorites if we don't lose anyone another way (unlikely).

If Covid does not wreck college athletics next year, IU is on pace for its best overall year since early 90's when all 24 sports are put together. Lets hope for best in this regard.

Surprised neither Dunham or Richardson taken. Another couple rounds, both probably gone off the board. IU will be loaded with a large roster. Not sure how many of the seniors will come back for the extra year. A solid freshman class coming but would assume some guys that might ordinarily have a chance to play as freshman could redshirt due to roster numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Guess people's word means nothing anymore. Dunham basically said in an interview that he would come back to IU if not drafted so I went with that, but guess in this day and age what anyone says is irrelevant.  

I am not mad at him and wish him the best and I am sure got a better deal then expected. Its a big loss ala Justin Smith but survivable if no one else goes. I just wish young people understood it is important not to say something you don't really mean later if you are not 100% sure. 

Its a reflection of young people in our world today and we just need to learn no matter what people say until pen goes to paper means nothing. I don't like it but can live with it. 

I also don't like this relatively new rule for the draft where you can go after your sophomore year if you are within 45 days of turning 21. It used to be you had to have gone to college for 3 years period. Now you can often leave after 2 and with many kids being held back a year they are often 21 by the summer of their sophomore year which changes recruiting a lot. 

College Baseball used to be the mark of stability and it is still relatively stable compared to other sports but getting top guys often times for 2 years now instead of 3 is a big change and is often the difference between graduating and not graduating before going pro. I think with many of these guys never making it all the way to the pro's, this rule change didn't do the athletes any favors for their later careers without degree in hand (I know they can go back and finish but its a lot harder).

Richardson is in the 21 sophomore boat and I assumed he would not sign but now with Dunham (who did give IU three years) we have to wait and see who really comes back and who signs a free agent deal.

My earlier post was premature I suppose. The only freshman from this years limited season who contributed and I know will be back is Hunter Jesse who is a stud in the making. Realistically anyone else could sign like Dunham buts most if any probably will not. 

However, I will update again after we really know who is coming back.

2 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

We're losing Dunham to the Yankee organization.

Greg Murray Retweeted EZD @elijah_dunham

Veryy happy for him. Absolutely a stud. 

If this guy is as good as advertised he should be our shortstop next 2-3 years depending on his age. Jeremy Houston is decent defensively but has always been a weak link with the bat, so Espalin should be able to beat him out easily I would hope.

18 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Story on how Tank Espalin ended up coming to Bloomington.

http://www.hoosiersportsreport.com/2020/06/uscs-loss-is-ius-gain-with-tank-espalin/

We've been lucky to have some great recruiters with Tracy, Lemonis and now Mercer. Is this the best recruit we have ever gotten under those regimes? I don't remember seeing a guy ranked as a 10 on perfect game. Definitely a number of 9's. 

If I hadn't seen this more than once I don't think I would have believed it was true.  I just have to chuckle each time I see the team nickname and league name in print.

David Platt, Gabe Bierman and McCade Brown on the pitching staff this summer for the Normal Cornbelters in the Kernels Collegiate League.

Indiana's McCade Brown and Gabe Bierman on D1 Baseball's 2021 Top 150 Prospects

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. — The second rankings for D1 Baseball’s 2021 top 150 prospects were released on Monday afternoon.

The initial rankings were released in February.

The release reads, “With a shortened college baseball season and limited summer baseball in 2020, the prospects have had little opportunity to separate themselves.”

Two Indiana players made the list with McCade Brown coming in at No. 38 and Gabe Bierman at No. 100.

Brown is a rising junior who had some impressive moments during the brief 2020 season. The right-handed pitcher posted a 0-1 record with a save and a 13.50 ERA in four appearances. He had one start, where he struck out nine batters in four innings of work. He also pitched a scoreless inning of relief in win at No. 30 South Alabama, striking out two to earn the save.

In Brown’s freshman season, he made two starts in midweek games. He allowed one hit and three runs in 2.2 innings of work against Wright State in his career debut, striking out two hitters.

As for Bierman, the right-handed pitcher went 2-1 last season with a team-best 2.45 ERA, 22 innings pitched and 24 strikeouts in four starts for the Hoosiers. He allowed just six earned runs and issued only nine walks.

During Bierman’s freshman season, he went 4-0 with two saves, appearing in 20 games and making five starts. He posted a 3.56 ERA, allowed 37 hits over 48 innings and struck out 46, and he held opposing hitters to a .209 batting average.

Both Brown and Bierman will be vital pieces for Indiana in 2021, which is a big reason why they are both featured in this top 150 prospects list.

'21 Brock Tibbitts a catcher who attends New Albany HS in New Albany, OH located northeast of Columbus has committed to IU.   

https://indiana.rivals.com/news/indiana-baseball-lands-commitment-from-2021-ohio-catcher?fbclid=IwAR1Kn7Roi-1Xt3NTnBhVWXZUFDVvwBVfEXzdL9YnRPR-H9oZB2dD3N56Kig

Prep Baseball

Baseball Factory

Story on IU commit T. J. White 

Dorman standout T.J. White made history with his power in last month’s showcase event in Sumter for the state’s top baseball prospects, blasting a pair of home runs with a wooden bat.  "We’ve been doing this for 13 years, and it’s never happened,” Alexander said. “We’ve never had a wood-bat home run, and he hit two.”

https://www.goupstate.com/story/sports/high-school/2020/09/02/dormans-t-j-white-makes-history-diamond-prospects-palmetto-games/5685071002/