Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mdn82

This Thread Is About Coaches

7 hours ago, Josh said:

I don't understand this reasoning. We just watched an entire season. We saw Archie's team get run off the court by inferior teams like ISU, Fort Wayne, and Rutgers. Are the sunshine pumpers the only fans allowed to have an opinion in your eyes? If so, will you please tell me when I'm allowed to have an opinion too?

I'm not angry as my post may imply. I'm just confused as to why some people are allowed opinions and others have to wait until they're allowed.

I think this line of thinking is premature because the simple fact is the system the kids who played this season were used to and recruited to was vastly different than the one they were asked to play in.  They got exposed as having no idea what their defense was supposed to look like early on; and one of your examples was their first game trying; AND their first game having no offensive leader.

IU didn't get run off the floor by Rutgers.  Come on, now.   

I'll say this.  If Archie didn't learn by watching how teams were able to defend Indiana and how teams are playing against the pack line defense now?   He's got a problem.   I thought he slowed tempo too much.   I think he could have used more ball pressure and full court pressure to generate more offense.  

I'm giving him another year or two before I truly formulate a judgement on whether or not I think he's "the guy," and I sure as heck won't hold his first game against him.   I saw plenty of progress this season, especially from a defensive numbers and ball security perspective.

4 minutes ago, chicagoHOOSIER said:

My recollection was that everybody was in agreement about Crean's flaws. Maybe I was projecting lol. I do recall you and a few others, battlinbob, were some of the first IU fans to point out criticisms. Maybe you took some heat I did not notice.

I'm laughing.  "Maybe I took some heat."   Yes, my friend....I did.  (Those who know me are smiling, too)   I would disagree that "everybody" was in agreement about Crean's flaws for the first 6-7 seasons.  I got very tired of the "you have to erase his first 3 years" argument.  

11 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

I'm laughing.  "Maybe I took some heat."   Yes, my friend....I did.  (Those who know me are smiling, too)   I would disagree that "everybody" was in agreement about Crean's flaws for the first 6-7 seasons.  I got very tired of the "you have to erase his first 3 years" argument.  

In your considerable debate, I thought you were just honing your craft. I generally fell on your side of nearly all of the discussions, and assumed most everyone else did too in the end.

Fair or not, that 'erase the first 3 years' argument triggers mild ptsd symtoms every time I hear about the '3 year plan' here lol.

I think you generally receive heat for your condescending tone, but what do I know. I said let’s not rush in to getting rid of Crean till the right hire is available. I hope Archie is it.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

It’s funny how things are viewed in retrospect.

People who criticized Crean and Indiana through those years were called Debbie Downers, pessimists, cliff jumpers. Were said we must have a miserable life at home to be so negative all the time. Etc, etc. It was relentless.

I’ve always said, wait until Indiana is actually good again and then see how those same posters post. Then you will have answers.

The problem was, Indiana has been SO bad for so long, a lot of younger fans (some wishful thinking older) thought Crean was a good coach and defended him without regard. Some until the bitter end.

7 hours ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

I think you generally receive heat for your condescending tone, but what do I know. I said let’s not rush in to getting rid of Crean till the right hire is available. I hope Archie is it.

The words are written, not spoken; so "tone" is inferred; not implied, which makes this a "you" problem, not a me problem.  As I have told you repeatedly, I couldn't care less what you think, and your point is noted.  Again.  

Then you weren't reading.   Some most definitely did; and a couple went and started their own board because they couldn't handle being told they didn't understand what they were watching.  IU made shots and won games meant Crean was a great coach.  Happened with Davis, happened with Crean.   Those same people would get behind Big Bird the same way.  

Yeah, starting the new board had nothing to do with being told anything. Stick to what you know.

3 minutes ago, mamasa said:

Yeah, starting the new board had nothing to do with being told anything. Stick to what you know.

I was being flip.  Take a breath.  Those jokers took shots at me on that noard literally for years and I never posted a thing there.  I can take a little shot at them once in a while.  Just breathe and relax.

I was being flip.  Take a breath.  Those jokers took shots at me on that noard literally for years and I never posted a thing there.  I can take a little shot at them once in a while.  Just breathe and relax.

Yeah, you were wrong. See, being flippant is one thing but putting information out as fact when there’s no truth (and people who weren’t familiar might believe you) is another.

1 minute ago, mamasa said:

Yeah, you were wrong. See, being flippant is one thing but putting information out as fact when there’s no truth (and people who weren’t familiar might believe you) is another.

Seriously.....take a breath.  I was not wrong because I was not presenting anything as fact.  It was not a debate, and there was no opposing viewpoint.  I was being flip.  If someone "believes me," I would question their choices for where they go for information.    It was a throw away comment intended for nothing more than a shot at some guys who were staunchly in Crean's corner, took plenty of un necessary pot shots at me, and one guy who gave out my personal information to anyone who asked for it.  There is far more to that story, but I was being flip.  Period.

Stick to what I know?  Maybe that's advice you could follow as well.  I was being flip.  End of discussion from my end.  If you need to take it further than that, it's on you.

It’s funny how things are viewed in retrospect.

People who criticized Crean and Indiana through those years were called Debbie Downers, pessimists, cliff jumpers. Were said we must have a miserable life at home to be so negative all the time. Etc, etc. It was relentless.

I’ve always said, wait until Indiana is actually good again and then see how those same posters post. Then you will have answers.

The problem was, Indiana has been SO bad for so long, a lot of younger fans (some wishful thinking older) thought Crean was a good coach and defended him without regard. Some until the bitter end.

True and the people that deserve didn’t talk trash about his mannerisms were sunshine pumpers and eternal optimist. I don’t think you guys realize it truly goes both ways. Like most everyone I ever talked to that complained to me as a mod how people were being and unbearable this site was due to the negativity generally agreed Crean wasn’t going to work from 2013 on. It was bad. It was as relentless the other way too man and we got stuck with the PMs detailing that. Quite often. It is funny how things are viewed in retrospect and viewed from their own personal viewpoint.

Seriously.....take a breath.  I was not wrong because I was not presenting anything as fact.  It was not a debate, and there was no opposing viewpoint.  I was being flip.  If someone "believes me," I would question their choices for where they go for information.    It was a throw away comment intended for nothing more than a shot at some guys who were staunchly in Crean's corner, took plenty of un necessary pot shots at me, and one guy who gave out my personal information to anyone who asked for it.  There is far more to that story, but I was being flip.  Period.
Stick to what I know?  Maybe that's advice you could follow as well.  I was being flip.  End of discussion from my end.  If you need to take it further than that, it's on you.

Actually yes you are wrong here. It’s ok to admit it. It’s not the end of the world. It’s funny to present something and then when someone calls you on it to come back and act like you were joking. Colts you have honestly been a solid dude over the last couple of years and your posting tone has calmed down immensely. This post was as wrong as the first. You literally have no clue what side of the fence Natty and Jaybob were on. Their moderation of you had nothing to do with Crean. It was always about you and Ken and you know it. You were left on Scout alone. We all left Scout for HSN. You know that. You came over. HSN was sold to 247. You know that. A few of us came here. A few of us left. Had nothing to do with Crean lol. So again you are claiming fact in a post you say you were joking. That is what Mamasa is saying. I don’t think I need to go further into the backstory unless you would like.

16 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Actually yes you are wrong here. It’s ok to admit it. It’s not the end of the world. It’s funny to present something and then when someone calls you on it to come back and act like you were joking. Colts you have honestly been a solid dude over the last couple of years and your posting tone has calmed down immensely. This post was as wrong as the first. You literally have no clue what side of the fence Natty and Jaybob were on. Their moderation of you had nothing to do with Crean. It was always about you and Ken and you know it. You were left on Scout alone. We all left Scout for HSN. You know that. You came over. HSN was sold to 247. You know that. A few of us came here. A few of us left. Had nothing to do with Crean lol. So again you are claiming fact in a post you say you were joking. That is what Mamasa is saying. I don’t think I need to go further into the backstory unless you would like.

I wasn't speaking of Natty or Jaybob.  And I don't think I'm talking about their website?  I might be.  I don't think they went to the same place (the one I'm referring to), did they?  Maybe they did.   I truthfully don't know.

What I said was not intended as some factual post.  If it was interpreted as such, yes..I am sorry about that.  I was making a flip comment.  Nothing more.  And I don't mean that in retrospect.  I was taking a shot at old news.   I am not acting like I was joking.  I was being flip.  Not the same thing; and I do understand what you're saying.   I am not "claiming fact," either.  You may be interpreting it that way; but it was not my intent.

I won't post about it again.  Not helping anyone.

3 hours ago, Old Friend said:

Personal information is still being abused. I read a reply to a comment I posted in the comment section of an article posted on InsideTheHall that demonstrated the poster replying had personal information about me I never shared on a message board, but it was info I entered when signing up for membership to another site. I immediately thought of your situation. I should have known better, but I joined some of those sites 12+ years ago, and the IU fan site communities at the same time seemed innocent enough or at least benign enough that it did not occur to me 12ish years ago that someone(s) might ever hold such a grudge against me for some possibly questionable remark I may have made on an IU fan site that they might actually feel safe enough to commit a crime against me using information I entrusted to them.  That's sick.  And if I wanted to pursue it, I could cause some serious trouble for those involved. Be very careful about the seemingly anonymous info you share with the kooks both running and posting mostly drunk on IU fan boards. You may become very surprised at how personally some people can take message board minutiae, and then also become even more surprised at how far the same people can flesh out their grudges into the real world. Again, it is sick.

2 hours ago, Old Friend said:

I wasn't speaking of Natty or Jaybob.  And I don't think I'm talking about their website?  I might be.  I don't think they went to the same place (the one I'm referring to), did they?  Maybe they did.   I truthfully don't know.

What I said was not intended as some factual post.  If it was interpreted as such, yes..I am sorry about that.  I was making a flip comment.  Nothing more.  And I don't mean that in retrospect.  I was taking a shot at old news.   I am not acting like I was joking.  I was being flip.  Not the same thing; and I do understand what you're saying.   I am not "claiming fact," either.  You may be interpreting it that way; but it was not my intent.

I won't post about it again.  Not helping anyone.

YES, THEY DID LOL BIG TIME!  They were huuuuge players in putting that all together, publicizing it, administering it, managing it etc. Thought everybody knew.

It’s funny to me, reading this stuff. I was (I believe) the first to question the Crean hire. I’m an IU grad from Milwaukee Wisconsin. My father (IU fan) and I had intimate knowledge of Marquette University and Tom Crean. I remember the day his hiring was announced. We were at home watching the news and we both immediately looked at each other and said, in unison, “No Way”. We both knew well, the shortcomings you came to complain about in year 6. One of my first posts on this site was later that year in a game thread. I said that I thought the hire was less than ideal for an Indiana school, with such a knowledgeable fan base. That you would probably not be happy with him given what I’d seen.

Post summary:

“This is how he plays defense, it doesn’t just look bad because of the players, it is bad fundamentally and I don’t think IU purists will ever accept it”.

“I didn’t say he was a bad coach, I said he is not an X’s and O’s coach with a playbook and a structured offense, which is a huge departure from what Indiana has been in the past. It’s not lack of talent to run the offense, it’s that there is no offense. The lack of talent is simply masking it. The largest complaint for MU fans is that it was very fly by the seat of your pants.”

Unfortunately, you had all heard “It’s Indiana”, and were over the moon. I was bashed quite relentlessly and I just was trying to give a heads up. I didn’t post again until 2013, at which time, I was sure to give Crean my full support. So anyway, yeah it got touchy when anyone mentioned negative things about coach.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

6 hours ago, cappymo14 said:

It’s funny to me, reading this stuff. I was (I believe) the first to question the Crean hire. I’m an IU grad from Milwaukee Wisconsin. My father (IU fan) and I had intimate knowledge of Marquette University and Tom Crean. I remember the day his hiring was announced. We were at home watching the news and we both immediately looked at each other and said, in unison, “No Way”. We both knew well, the shortcomings you came to complain about in year 6. One of my first posts on this site was later that year in a game thread. I said that I thought the hire was less than ideal for an Indiana school, with such a knowledgeable fan base. That you would probably not be happy with him given what I’d seen.

Post summary:

“This is how he plays defense, it doesn’t just look bad because of the players, it is bad fundamentally and I don’t think IU purists will ever accept it”.

“I didn’t say he was a bad coach, I said he is not an X’s and O’s coach with a playbook and a structured offense, which is a huge departure from what Indiana has been in the past. It’s not lack of talent to run the offense, it’s that there is no offense. The lack of talent is simply masking it. The largest complaint for MU fans is that it was very fly by the seat of your pants.”

Unfortunately, you had all heard “It’s Indiana”, and were over the moon. I was bashed quite relentlessly and I just was trying to give a heads up. I didn’t post again until 2013, at which time, I was sure to give Crean my full support. So anyway, yeah it got touchy when anyone mentioned negative things about coach.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I’m there with you on that, having ties to Marquette. I wasn’t happy with the hire but gave Crean a chance. This time around I’m being more critical in what I’m looking for. Does the system work both offensively and defensively. That’s the biggest thing to me. I’ve seen huge defensive improvement and a lot of missed shots that were open looks. This gives me hope for Archie, but I need a larger sample size, with the type of player he wants before I can say to myself this is the guy who will be here for 20+ years.