Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
mamasa

IU Rowing

Meet the newest Hoosiers on the rowing team, as they kick off their Spring Break Training this week!

2018 Rowing Signing class

Bookmark and Share

Women's Rowing | 2/14/2018 2:15:00 PM |

Get To Know The Indiana Rowing 2018 Signing Class

BLOOMINGTON, Indiana – Indiana Rowing head coach Steve Peterson and his staff signed seven current high school seniors to National Letters of Intent back in the fall and then welcomed Kira Ritter as a transfer over the winter break. Below is a look at each of them as they join the Indiana family from across the globe.

Kira Ritter
Hometown: Harrison, Ohio
High School Club: Cincinnati Juniors
Previous School: Clemson University
Height: 5'11
Intended Major: Political Science 

Quoting Ritter: "Rowing is my passion for two reasons: the camaraderie and the racing.  There isn't anything better than sitting at the starting docks, knowing the strength your training and girls in the boat, waiting for the official to drop the flag so you can test the limits and prove your speed against other boats on the course. I want to win NCAA's, and fully believe that this team has the means to get there if we take advantage of them."

Peterson talking about Ritter: "Kira comes to us with a year of Division I rowing experience, as well as some great success prior to that as a part of the Cincinnati Junior Program.  She is a very competitive athlete that we are excited to have join our program."     

Jayna Dolfi
Hometown: The Woodlands, TX
High School Club: The Woodlands
Height: 6'1
Intended Major: Business  

Quoting Dolfi: "I chose Indiana because from the moment I stepped on campus the team welcomed me with open arms. I'm so excited to get on the water and start working with them this coming year. I came to rowing from a swimming background and I love the daily grind.
Getting out on the water and putting my all into every practice to reach team goals is what pushes me every single day."

Peterson talking about Dolfi: "Jayna is a strong and powerful athlete who has only begun to realize her potential in her short time in our sport.  Successful in both small boats, as well as in the 8, she is going to be an exciting athlete to work with and watch develop during her time here at IU."

Jessica Earle
Hometown: Shingle Springs, CA
High School Club: Capital Crew
Height: 5'2
Intended Major: Human Biology 

Quoting Earle: "Rowing became my passion when I realized how competitive of a sport it is. I like to compete, but I love to win. As a coxswain, I will strive toward making my team the best that it can be."

Peterson talking about Earle: "Jessica is a dynamic, smart leader who has learned from one of the best coaches to ever sit in the coxswain seat - Sarah Puddicombe.  We look forward to watching Jessica lead our crews to success in the future."

Drew Harris
Hometown: St. Louis, Missouri
High School Club: St. Louis Rowing Club
Height: 5'11
Intended Major: Nutrition Science 

Quoting Harris: "The sport of rowing itself is amazing. It not only allows me to compete with other teams, but also to compete with my own teammates and to grow individually. It has made me mentally stronger, which has helped me in all aspects of life. The friendships I have made through this sport are ones I will cherish forever, and my teammates motivate me every day. My main goal is to do what makes me happy. I know I'll be happy at Indiana and I look forward to growing there, and I am excited to see where it takes me."

Peterson talking about Harris: "Drew is the next athlete in a long line of successful St. Louis junior rowers who have committed to keeping Indiana one of the top programs in the country.  A tough, competitive athlete, she is sure to be a big part of our future success."

Ruby Leverington
Hometown: Wellington, New Zealand
High School: Wellington Rowing Club
Height: 5'9
Intended Major: Kinesiology

Quoting Leverington: "Sport has always been a big part of my life. I switched to rowing from track and cross-country when I was 14 and have loved it ever since. It wasn't until my final year of high school when I focused on the single and formed a really strong bond with my coach, Rachel Gamble-Flint. I then realized how much rowing meant to me and I started taking it seriously. At Indiana, the rowing program, team atmosphere, and scenery at Indiana were what stood out to me."

Peterson talking about Leverington: "Ruby is a highly successful sculler from New Zealand who always has a smile on her face.  Coached by former GB sculler, Rachel Gamble-Flint, Ruby's racing success is sure to translate to boat speed for the Hoosiers."

Sophie McCartin
Hometown: Christchurch, New Zealand
High School Club: Rangi Ruru
Intended Major: Sport Management  

Quoting McMartin: "I love the challenge of rowing and being pushed to the limit. I like seeing how far I can push my boundaries. I am determined to win. My future goals include assisting IU to climb in the NCAA rankings even further and representing New Zealand."

Peterson talking about McMartin: "Sophie is an extremely powerful and nationally ranked rower from New Zealand who brings with her a ton of racing success in 8's and 4's.  A quiet but intense athlete, the sky is the limit for Sophie."

Keeley Walsh
Hometown: Brisbane, Australia
High School Club: Somerville
Intended Major: Human Biology  

Quoting Walsh: "As soon as I stepped onto the campus, the vibe of not only the rowing team but also the whole student body was so warm and welcoming. I couldn't have asked for a better group of people to be associated with. One day, I would like to represent my country and I know being a Hoosier will help me achieve that."

Peterson talking about Walsh: "Keeley is a successful rower from Australia who fit right in with the team when she visited.  It was obvious from our first discussion during the recruiting process that she is a natural born leader and someone we had to have in our program." 

Emily Worobel
Hometown: Rumson, New Jersey
High School: Rumson-Fairhaven
Height: 5'7
Intended Major: Nutrition Science

Quoting Worobel: "I chose Indiana because of the extensive opportunities that the university has to offer. In addition to the academic opportunities, I get to take part in the long line of history and success of the university by becoming a Hoosier. I am proud to be one of only a few who get to represent Indiana while enjoying everything the school and beautiful campus has to offer."

Peterson talking about Worobel: "Emily is a dynamo with a tremendous work ethic and competitiveness. She is definitely a Hoosier through and through."     

Hope they can get these in!

No. 20 Hoosiers To Host Dale England Cup On Saturday

Story Links
Indiana Rowing Home Page | Dale England Rowing Center

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. – The Indiana Rowing team will host the 11th annual Dale England Cup on Saturday at Lake Lemon.

NOTES
Indiana hosts its only regatta of the season as it welcomes RV Michigan State and Notre Dame in action on Lake Lemon on Saturday
The Hoosiers will look to take home their third Dale England Cup, earning both titles in 2017 and 2018.
It will be the final home race for IU's seniors: Connie Brahm, Melanie Hampton, Madelyn Hassinger, Emma Lawrie, Morgan McKay, Ellie Meinzer, Maddie Pierce, Kendall Sharpe, Sydney Shuert, Allison Spencer, MC Webb and Sophia Wickersha

Time Race Lane 1 Lane 2 Lane 3
9:00 A.M. 4V8/2N8 Michigan St. Notre Dame
9:15 A.M. 3V8/N8 Notre Dame Michigan St. Indiana
9:30 A.M. 3V4 Indiana Notre Dame
9:45 A.M. 2V4 Indiana Notre Dame Michigan St.
10:00 A.M. V4 Notre Dame Michigan St. Indiana
10:15 A.M. 2V8 Michigan St. Indiana Notre Dame
10:30 A.M. V8 Indiana Notre Dame Michigan St.

**Awards Ceremony to take place at 11:30 a.m.**
Scoring System

POINT SCORING
Crew 1st 2nd 3rd
1V8 36 27 18
2V8 24 18 12
1V4 12 9 6

**Only the 1V8, 2V8 and 1V4 races will have points awarded
** The fastest combined times from morning and afternoon sessions in the 1V8 event shall serve as the tiebreaker between two teams if the team totals are equal

The team that earns the most overall total points for the day wins the Dale England Cup Trophy

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

No. 16 Hoosier Rowing Heads To Longhorn Invitational; First Session Moved To Friday

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Story Links

BLOOMINGTON, Ind.  – The No. 16 Indiana Rowing team is set to compete at the highly competitive Longhorn Invitational with the first session now moved to Friday night to accomidate forecasted strong winds on Saturday afternoon. 

NOTES
  • The regatta will feature seven ranked teams including host No. 4 Texas. No. 10 Virginia, No. 11 Southern California, No. 13 Iowa, No. 18 Oregon State, No. 20 Oklahoma and Notre Dame will also race in the annual event.
  • Five of eight teams competing in the event participated in the 2018 NCAA Championships last season and features four different conferences.
  • Indiana is coming off winning its third-straight Dale England Cup at Lake Lemon on April 20. The Hoosiers won the V8, 2V8 and V4 events to earn 72 points and the trophy.
  • This will be the final regular season regatta for the Hoosiers, who will next compete at the Big Ten Championships on May 19.

Schedule of Events (all times ET)
Complete race schedule
8:40 p.m. – 2V4
9:10 p.m. – 1V4
9:30 p.m. – 2V8
9:50 p.m. – 1V8

*heat winner plus next two fastest times from heats advances to A finals that are tentatively set to begin at 8 a.m. ET on Saturday morning. 

LIVE RESULTS
Live results will be available on HereNow.

UP NEXT
The Hoosiers will travel to Big Ten Championships on May 19 at Devils Lake in Madison, Wisc.

IU Rowing Remembers Dale England

BLOOMINGTON, Ind.  –  Longtime supporter of IU Rowing and IU Athletics, Dale England, passed away in Cleveland on Friday, April 19 after a long illness.

In his name, the Dale England Rowing Center was constructed in 2015. With his support, the facility was upgraded to a 10,000 square foot building on Lake Lemon that holds the team's boats and equipment. His interest with the program began when his daughter Becky was a coxswain from 2000-03 and a boat was dedicated in her honor in 2005.

"Dale was not only a very close personal friend, but he was a good friend to our team and the whole athletic department," IU Rowing head coach Steve Peterson said. "There was not a person in IU Athletics that Dale was not friends with or say hi to.  That's the type of person he was.  He had a huge influence on the members of the rowing team over the last 15-20 years. We established a cup race in his honor and named our rowing facility after him. That is how much he meant to us and was a part of our team.  Our hearts go out to the England family, and we will never forget the impact he made in all of our lives.  We will truly miss him."  

He is survived by his wife of 48 years, Sharon along with daughters, Sarah and Becky.

Good luck!!!

No. 15 Hoosiers Set For NCAA Championships In Indianapolis Starting Friday

Story Links

BLOOMINGTON, Ind.  –  The No. 15 ranked Indiana Rowing team will begin competition in the NCAA Championships on Friday in Indianapolis. The championship regatta begins Friday morning and runs through Sunday at Eagle Creek State Park. 

NOTES
  • Indiana will be appearing in its sixth-straight NCAA Championships, earning an at-large bid into the 2019 regatta held at Eagle Creek State Park in Indianapolis. IU will be co-hosting the event with the Indy Sport Corp.
  • 22 schools will be vying for the NCAA Division I title, as champions for Division II and Division III will also be crowned at Eagle Creek over the weekend.
  • The Hoosiers finished fifth at the Big Ten Championships on May 19 at Devils Lake in Wisconsin. They are one of a record six teams from the Big Ten to participate in this year's championships (Michigan, Ohio State, Indiana, Iowa, Rutgers, Wisconsin).
  • IU is coming off a 13th place finish in the 2018 event, highlighted by a 10th place finish by the Varsity Four boat and a 12th place finish in the First Varsity 8 and a 16th place finish in the Second Varsity 8. It has made an appearance in every championship since 2014 with a 13th place finish in 2018.
  • In 2019, the Hoosiers kept hold of the Dale England Cup for the third straight season and finished fourth overall at the highly competitive Longhorn Invitational. They have been ranked in the CRCA/US Rowing Poll every week of the season.

Schedule of Events 
all times eastern, INdiana races only
9 a.m. – 1V8 (Heat 1, Lane 1)
10:24 a.m. – 2V8 (Heat 4, Lane 2)
11:12 a.m. – V4 (Heat 4, Lane 2)

Repechages (if necessary)
4:12 p.m. -- I Eights Repechage 1
4:24 p.m. -- I Eights Repechage 2
4:36 p.m. -- II Eights Repechage 1
4:48 p.m. -- II Eights Repechage 2
5 p.m. -- Fours Repechage 1
5:12 p.m. -- Fours Repechage 2

Saturday, June 1
8:12 a.m. -- I Eights C/D Semifinals
8:24 a.m. -- I Eights C/D Semifinals
8:36 a.m. -- I Eights A/B Semifinals
8:48 a.m. -- I Eights A/B Semifinals
9 a.m. -- II Eights C/D Semifinals
9:12 a.m. -- II Eights C/D Semifinals
9:24 a.m. -- II Eights A/B Semifinals
9:36 a.m. -- II Eights A/B Semifinals
9:48 a.m. -- Fours C/D Semifinals
10 a.m. -- Fours C/D Semifinals
10:12 a.m. -- Fours A/B Semifinals
10:24 a.m. -- Fours A/B Semifinals

Sunday, June 2
8:12 a.m. -- Fours D Final (places 19-22)
8:24 a.m. -- Fours C Final (places 13-18)
8:36 a.m. -- II Eights D Final (places 19-22)
8:48 a.m. -- II Eights C Final (places 13-18)
9 a.m. -- I Eights D Final (places 19-22)
9:12 a.m. -- I Eights C Final (places 13-18)
10:12 a.m. -- Fours Petite Final (places 7-12)
10:24 a.m. -- Fours Grand Final (places 1-6)
10:36 a.m. -- II Eights Petite Final (places 7-12)
10:48 a.m. -- II Eights Grand Final (places 1-6)
11 a.m. -- I Eights Petite Final (places 7-12)
11:12 a.m. -- I Eights Grand Final (places 1-6)

Hoosier Rowers Named CRCA All-American Nominees and Scholar Athlete Honorees

BLOOMINGTON, Ind.  –  Indiana Rowing's Abigail Bogovich and Jordan Miller were named 2020 College Rowing Coaches Association All-American nominees while eight earned scholar athlete honors.

The absence of competitive results or a national championship due to the COVID-19 pandemic preclude awarding 1st and 2nd Team All-America Awards for the 2020 season.  However, the coaches of the CRCA still wanted to find a way to recognize the top performers in NCAA women's rowing. Bogovich, a senior, and Miller, a junior, were both honored as part of the Division I team.

2020 Scholar Athlete Awards requirements have been modified for the 2020 season.  Student athletes must be in their 2nd, 3rd, or 4th year of eligibility, must be ranked performance-wise in the top 50% of their team, or in the "NCAA Squad" (whichever is smaller) at the conclusion of the 2020 season, and must have a 3.50 cumulative GPA or higher for their career, and through the fall semester or quarter for the current competition year.

Hoosiers that made the list included Libby Brown, Nicole Conway, Antonia Frappell, Ruby Leverington, Liz Saunders, Kaylynn Scher, Paige Spiller and Victoria Vicory.  

Follow Indiana Rowing on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Indiana Rowing Ranked No. 11 In Division I preseason Pocock CRCA Poll

Story Links
FULL POLL
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. – Indiana women's rowing has been ranked No. 11 in the Division I preseason Pocock CRCA Poll presented by USRowing.

The Hoosiers are one of five Big Ten teams ranked in the preseason poll along with Michigan (No. 3), Ohio State (No. 6), Iowa (No. 8) and Rutgers (No. 10).

The 2021 season begins next weekend when IU heads to the Cardinal Invite on March 13-14 in Oak Ridge, Tenn. It has been 641 days since the Hoosiers last took to the water due to the cancellation of the 2019-20 season due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Head coach Steve Peterson is in his 18th season as head coach at Indiana.

No. 11 Indiana Posts Strong Performances To Open Up Oak Ridge Cardinal Invite

Story Links
RESULTS
OAK RIDGE, Tenn. – Strong performances against highlighted No. 11 Indiana in Saturday racing at the ninth annual Oak Ridge Cardinal Invite on Saturday at Lake Melton Rowing Venue.

KEY MOMENTS
The Hoosiers picked up wins in the morning session in the Varsity 8 and Second Varsity 8 over No. 3 Michigan and Clemson while the Novice 8 came in second racing against the Tigers.
In the afternoon sessions, IU was edged out by Minnesota on a photo finish in the Varsity 8. The Second Varsity 8 took home another win against the Gophers and host Cardinals

RESULTS
Morning Results Afternoon results
V8
Indiana – 6:19.019
Michigan – 6:22.203
Clemson – 6:27.402
V8
Minnesota – 6:19.206
Indiana – 6:19.384
Louisville – 6:34.807
3V8/N8
Clemson – 7:03.653
Indiana – 7:09.598
3V8/N8
Minnesota – 6:51.747
Indiana – 7:00.948
2V8
Indiana – 6:25.892
Michigan – 6:28.554
Clemson – 6:36.276
2V8
Indiana – 6:24.311
Minnesota – 6:30.904
Louisville – 6:41.093­­

LINEUPS
Varsity 8: Rachael Galet (coxswain), Madi Wright, Drew Harris, Ella Cunningham, Abigail Bogovich, Laura Feinson, Victoria Vicory, Maggie Bornhorst, Piper Maaka
2nd Varsity 8: Katie Nelson (coxswain), Niamh Monk, Maddie Callaway, Sophie McCartin, Sophie Bowden, Catherine Ryan, Rosie Munro, Sophie Carmosino, Ruby Leverington
Novice 8: Paige Ohrvall (Coxswain), Erin Heapy, Madie Anderson, Avery Thorpe, Ara Cowper, Maggie McGuire, Sarah Congress, Abbey Armstrong, Megan Mills

UP NEXT
Racing concludes on Sunday with a morning session beginning at 11:24 a.m. ET for the Hoosiers.